PDA

View Full Version : Starter

cbboarder
08-15-2010, 09:42 AM
The engine starter fuse (20 amp) keeps blowing. I've checked my battery and stater connections and everything seems fine. Any suggestions?

flyingbrass
08-31-2013, 09:16 PM
I got the same problem. Anyone?

flyingbrass
08-31-2013, 09:24 PM
Holiday weekend and I got boat problems!

Ian Brantford
08-31-2013, 09:42 PM
I know how you feel. My starter began failing on the last long weekend (1st Monday in August here in Ontario). It had different symptoms though. It wouldn't disengage fast enough. I wish I could help you.

maxpower220
09-01-2013, 09:04 AM
Check your connections at the battery and the grounding wire that attaches to the block.

Inspect the wiring going to the starter for chaffing.

brad460
09-02-2013, 08:41 AM
Yep...starter propabaly going bad and drawing to much current...my little ballast emptying pump was doing that (blowing fuses) until it finally crapped out.

I would do as recommended above just to be sure...check all the battery connections..

trayson
09-03-2013, 02:00 AM
Do you have a separate starter RELAY (not the solenoid that's on the starter, but a seperate relay). I do on mine and I'm pretty confident that my relay caused me all sorts of grief. I had problems where the bendix would spin. and then ultiamtely it made it so my bendix gear would NOT retract from the flywheel. I ended up toasting a starter twice because of this. After cleaning my connections (Ground from batteries to block is just as important as your battery to starter cables), and replacing that relay it worked well. The relay is cheap and if there's too much resistance in your system the relay can weld inside and create a short or the same thing can happen to the starter solenoid.

This is what my starter relay looks like:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-O3bSxTLH4xQ/UbUv8IxchgI/AAAAAAAAOFk/s8qOCqhUONU/s800/%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

parrothd
09-03-2013, 09:36 AM
The fuse on the dash? Replace the fuel pump it's drawing to much power and tripping the fuse... the starter uses a relay and the starter should get it's power from the battery directly, no fuses..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2