PDA

View Full Version : Lead...?

Buck02LS
08-15-2010, 06:35 AM
I’m thinking about getting some lead to stick in the boat… my question is were are you guys getting it from and is there anything I should about using it… can I leave it in the boat all the time or should I take it in and out when not using the boat…???

Thanks!

Buck02LS
08-15-2010, 06:42 AM
Also the cost...? And just the over all pos and cons of using it…

Thanks!

2007 Outback V
08-15-2010, 10:43 AM
I have one major concern with lead in boats..........it doesn't float :(

How much weight you looking to add?

Sled491
08-15-2010, 11:32 AM
Lead is actually hard to come by these days. We make all our own sinkers and jigs and it is a major ordeal to find 100lbs. If you insist look to spend about 50 to 65 cents a pound and it will be dirty and not ready for use.

But to parrot others why not use regular water ballast?

zabooda
08-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Interesting that this thread comes up once in a while.

Buck02LS
08-15-2010, 12:25 PM
Well I really don’t know how much weight I was looking to add, it was all just a thought to use maybe a few hundred pounds and just keeping it in the boat so save having to add the additional water ballast…

Maybe like 400lbs across the back of the boat under the seat or something…

Yeah for sure I wouldn’t want to have to take it in and out of the boat all the time! And yeah I know it don’t float and that’s big worry for even having it! Davy Jones is cool and all but no thanks!

Right now I have a 750lbs bag in the back a 300 (I think) in the ski locker and maybe like 250 (I think) under the front seats and non of them a hard piped in so if I want to use any or all of them I have to do it all manually (Fill and empty) and that 750 take a wile to do this! So I was thinking maybe if I could add a few hundred lbs under the back seat I could change the back bag out to something smaller to save time in filling and empting… but then I would still need the 750 for surfing…

I’ve asked my local dealer for a quote (Rinkers Boat World) to hard pipe all my bags to the gravity 3 system but they haven’t come back to me with a price. I would do it my self but when I’m home I’m only home for 2 or 3 weeks at a time like twice a year and I really don’t want to spend 2 or 3 of them days working on the boat when I only have limited amount of day home to start with!

Thanks!

james yarosz
08-15-2010, 12:36 PM
My neighbor uses bags of lead shot for loading shotgun shells.

Sled491
08-15-2010, 03:56 PM
I just got off the lake from surfing. Ran a 800 down the side and a 550 across the back. Used a 1100gph Uber pump, takes like 10 minutes to set up. Not bad really.

deafgoose
08-15-2010, 04:12 PM
The new Sumo Sac pump is rated at 100lbs for every 55seconds. I have one. It works amazing!

Buck02LS
08-16-2010, 02:42 AM
I just got off the lake from surfing. Ran a 800 down the side and a 550 across the back. Used a 1100gph Uber pump, takes like 10 minutes to set up. Not bad really.

is your 07 a V Drive or DD? if it's DD i would love to see some pictures of your wake with that's set up?!?

Buck02LS
08-16-2010, 02:43 AM
yeah i guess over all i need to get a good pump system for all my bags and call it a day and stay away from the lead...

sandm
08-16-2010, 07:52 AM
I have been surfing with a couple that use lead in their sanger. 25lb thin bricks, and usually have 3-400lbs of them on the floor. talk about a pita to trip around when you are done surfing, and I can't imagine what that's doing to the trailer since it's always there. maybe nothing, but I'm sure there's some impact...

lead does make a good ballast and I know there are several companies making $$ selling them as ballast, but from a safety aspect, I'll stick to water. last thing I really want is to have some sherriff questioning me on ballast and having to explain lead vs. buoyant waterbags. it's a misundersood sport in some areas and I would think that lead would only complicate it..

Sled491
08-16-2010, 08:24 AM
is your 07 a V Drive or DD? if it's DD i would love to see some pictures of your wake with that's set up?!?

I have an Outback so its a DD. I'd say the wake is respectable. The only problem is the pocket is short. I have to surf right at the back of the boat, I can't go back to far before I loose the push.

Buck02LS
08-16-2010, 10:12 AM
I have an Outback so its a DD. I'd say the wake is respectable. The only problem is the pocket is short. I have to surf right at the back of the boat, I can't go back to far before I loose the push.

do you have any weight up front or in the ski locker?

you don't have any picutres of your wake do you?

Buck02LS
08-16-2010, 10:25 AM
I have been surfing with a couple that use lead in their sanger. 25lb thin bricks, and usually have 3-400lbs of them on the floor. talk about a pita to trip around when you are done surfing, and I can't imagine what that's doing to the trailer since it's always there. maybe nothing, but I'm sure there's some impact...

lead does make a good ballast and I know there are several companies making $$ selling them as ballast, but from a safety aspect, I'll stick to water. last thing I really want is to have some sherriff questioning me on ballast and having to explain lead vs. buoyant waterbags. it's a misundersood sport in some areas and I would think that lead would only complicate it..

Yeah having it all out on the floor in buckets is not what I’m going for by any means... I don't like having anything on the floor seeing I have DD the room is limited already!
I’m sure a few extra 100lbs wouldn’t do much to the trailer, (but I could be wrong) but I was worried about what it would do to the boat being in there at all times…
Dose anyone ever leave any of the water in their ballast bags when going back and forth from the lake or river??? Not a good idea right?!?

What’s the law about going over the weight amount in your boat…? I’ve only been stopped by a sheriff once and it was the 2 time out on my boat and I didn’t have any ballast in the boat so that wasn’t a problem or a worry. They were just doing a general stop and check of everything and then they went on there marry way!  But I have had about 1000lbs over my boats rated weight and just wondering what would happen if a sheriff stops me when I’m like that…? A ticket or what…

sandm
08-16-2010, 10:56 AM
good question on the sherriff. we have never been stopped while surfing, nor have I seen them stop anyone that is surfing, and I typically run 3 400lb bags and an 1100 in the corner with 3-5 in the boat. way over the rated limit. guess I figure that water ballast is a whole lot easier to explain than bricks of lead or buckets of concrete :)
sherriffs here are more interested in the kids drinking in the party cove and watching for smaller children in boats with no lifejackets.

I can't even imagine why you would want to leave your bags full of water when trailering. gas mileage is crappy enough without an added 1000+lbs of water and, for those of us with single axles, not a good idea.

Buck02LS
08-16-2010, 11:51 AM
My boat is only rated for 10 people or 1300lbs, but hell if you get 10 people in the boat you’re already ez over 1300lbs… LOL so I think every time I go out I’m going to be over my weight limit. I guess I will find out sooner or later what the Sherriff will do when my boats back corner deck is 6inch’s from the top… LOL

Yeah I didn’t think it was a good idea, but just wondering if anyone did it…

sandm
08-16-2010, 12:17 PM
it all depends on who you roll with. 10 supermodels would still leave you plenty of "reserve" for ballast.

Buck02LS
08-16-2010, 01:08 PM
HAHA yeah i wish that was the case eveytime out!!! i don't even like putting 10 poeple in the boat! 6 is a good number and 8 is pushing it! most of the time it's 2 or 3 of my boys and all of are girls just going along for the ride!

Sled491
08-16-2010, 04:22 PM
don't take my word for it, but it was my understanding that boats over 20ft weren't subject to the weight rating.

Sorry no pics of my wake loaded up as I described. I don't have a ski locker as mine is a Regular ole Outback. I had my son and his friend up front which would be about 160lbs.

zegm
08-16-2010, 05:47 PM
My boat is only rated for 10 people or 1300lbs, but hell if you get 10 people in the boat you’re already ez over 1300lbs… LOL so I think every time I go out I’m going to be over my weight limit. I guess I will find out sooner or later what the Sherriff will do when my boats back corner deck is 6inch’s from the top… LOL

Yeah I didn’t think it was a good idea, but just wondering if anyone did it…

There might be some pictures on here somewhere of Ed's old Outback. I swear the right rear corner was Below the surface of the water!!!! Ed?

sandm
08-16-2010, 05:51 PM
sled,
I believe you are correct. 20ft and over are not subject to ratings, but I believe that they are all required to do it until you hit "yacht" ratings(only wakeboard boat that I believe hits that is the x-80). few other rules that don't apply either such as lifejackets on kids(we still require for the under 11 crowd on my boat and sherriffs give out coupons for free ice cream when they see it on the lake)....

evoimport6
08-16-2010, 09:10 PM
I work for a replacement window company, and we are constantly pulling out old weights from window pockets. Try your local window replacement, and we usually throw them away. It might not be lead. Also the govt is cracking down on lead so it might be hard to come by.

Waynes345
08-17-2010, 12:15 PM
"I swear the right rear corner was Below the surface of the water!!!! Ed?"

No. The rub rail was approximately two inches above the surface of the water when the boat was at rest.

Yeah, that is the way my OB sits with weighted down. Sometimes the water will run along the top above the rub rail when turning.

Buck02LS
08-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Yeah, that is the way my OB sits with weighted down. Sometimes the water will run along the top above the rub rail when turning.

What kind of weight were you running when your boat what like that? Any pictures of the boat, set up or in the water or of the wake???

Thanks

thesack
08-17-2010, 12:33 PM
If you are still looking for lead look at Pop Products http://www.pop-products.com/products/ I haven't personally used them, but I have heard good things about them. And when I am not throwing money at my boat for other things I am planning on buying 400lbs from them.

And I can get water above the rub rail of my 21V when turning while surfing. I'm running 750 in the rear and 1200+ in the bow/play pen. And my swim platform when weighted is always underwater by about 6"

Waynes345
08-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Yeah, that's about what I have as well. 800 across the back and 650 on the surf side. Couple people sitting on the side as well.

Buck02LS
08-17-2010, 04:01 PM
Dose anyone know if a 750 or 900 will fit next to the motor without pushing up on the motor cover too much without hurting it...?

you da man
08-18-2010, 12:31 AM
I can see the issue with solid ballast on the smaller, low freeboard boats with taking on water. I'm picking up 400lbs of Pop bags that I'll be using in my XLV. I usually run 250lbs in each rear sac for wakeboarding so I could easily just split up the 400 Pop bags to 200lbs on each side. Then when surfing I can eliminate one of the extra 400lb Fat Sacs or if I have a medium sized crew I can eliminate the sacs altogether and just have hidden ballast. I found a guy selling his 400lbs of Pop bags for $125

Sled491
08-18-2010, 09:20 PM
I switched up Ed's set up. I ran the 800 from the very back corner along side the clam. Then tucked the 600 accross the back. I don't know if it is perception or not but I seemed to get a better lean that way.