PDA

View Full Version : New Mobius, ballast tank fills on its own

Goodtimesjeff
08-30-2004, 03:36 PM
Hi
I have a brand new mobius L S with the ballast under the rear seat,,,it has a switch to fill and to empty , but the tank fills up all the time. My boat only has 3 hrs done it since new. Is there a quick fix or will i have to tank it back to the dealer.

Thx
Keith

08-31-2004, 05:44 PM
I had the same problem on my '03 Mobius LSV "Bertha Ballast System" and it took me an entire season to figure out that a small black 'switch' was in the wrong or open position on each of the vavles for my 3 ballast bags. Once I flipped that switch 90 degrees on each valve, the system has worked fine - only fills up when I turn on the switch.

My valves are all within a few inches away from the main ballast water intake (sitting on top of my V drive in the engine compartment - not sure where they would be for a direct drive).

The idiots at my dealer had no clue to the existance of this valve switch. When I first took it in for service they instructed me to just fill up the bags and then manually close the main ballast water intake valve ...... kind of defeats the purpose of paying the extra grand for the ballast filling system.

Good Luck!

latchkey
02-22-2005, 11:27 PM
Sounds like your fill pump is bad. If it is allowing the sack to fill while the boat is moving. I assume it doesn't fill while sitting still and you can't hear the pump running all the time. The pump has a bad valve if it allows the sac to fill while boat is moving.

Shoemaker Mobius
02-23-2005, 01:02 PM
Before you start crawling around with a voltmeter or suspecting a bad pump, there have been several previous postings about this. It is likely that you have a manual toggle switch in the wrong position (if I remember the postings correctly). From the owner's manual:

"The Bertha Ballast system utilizes a manifold and a solenoid valve to independently fill each bag or tank. The solenoid valves hava a small toggle switch that can manually override the opening of the valve. The manual toggle switch needs to be in the "down" position to allow the system to be controlled by the switches in the dash area. If the manual toggle switch is turned to the "up" position, the valve will be open all the time and cannot be controlled by switches in the dash area. If the ballast system fills continuously while running the boat, check to make sure the manual override toggle switch is in the "down" position. If it continues to fill and the manual toggle switch is in the "down" position, check for debris that may have clogged the solenoid valve forcing the valve to stay open. If the valves continue to fill, closing the manual emergency shut-off valve will prevent any water from entering the system."

In the previous postings it seemed that several new boats came with the toggle switch "up". In my manual this discussion is on page 35. Hope this helps.

Jon
02-23-2005, 06:09 PM
shoemaker has got it. I'd be willing to bet the manual toggle switch on the pump is the problem. quick fix.

Goodtimesjeff
02-23-2005, 07:11 PM
Your right the manual overide switch was in the wrong position. Thanks for all the replies.

Keith