PDA

View Full Version : Replace bimini pole?

Eric Z
08-13-2010, 09:19 AM
I broke one of my legs on my Bimini. Where do you get a new one? How much? I am all for cheap so what would be the lowest cost to repair mine?

zegm
08-13-2010, 09:27 AM
I broke one of my legs on my Bimini. Where do you get a new one? How much? I am all for cheap so what would be the lowest cost to repair mine?

I doubt you can just purchase the pole. You might be able to cut yours and remove the damaged section then look for some aluminum tubing that would slide into the original tubing and then rivet it in place. Yeah that sounds a little hokey but it would be something I would try before I had to spend 700 bucks on a new top.

lewisb13
08-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Tig weld maybe???

zegm
08-13-2010, 09:50 AM
Tig weld maybe???

With that thin tubing, well you better be pretty good at it!
Come see me in Panama City, we have a welder that can do it! We probably have the aluminum too! If not we can set you up with some nice Ti!

kaneboats
08-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Have to agree with Mike on this one. I'd try to sleeve it with the next size up of aluminum tubing. No one will ever notice. Of course my Dad would just use this:

Eric Z
08-13-2010, 12:45 PM
I think I will pass on the duct tape... I thought about the tube over the top of it not sure it would work. It broke right next to the plastic hinge.

zegm
08-13-2010, 04:05 PM
I think I will pass on the duct tape... I thought about the tube over the top of it not sure it would work. It broke right next to the plastic hinge.

Hey! Careful about the Duct Tape! I used that once to fix a chain on a dirtbike and it got me back to the trailer! Yes!!! IT DID!!! Good stuff! :p

wolfeman131
08-13-2010, 10:38 PM
after reading cab's review of his bro's MC, maybe they should put a roll of that in the glovebox as "standard equipment."

wait, what am I thinking, MC would make a roll of duct tape a $100 option.

newty
08-13-2010, 11:34 PM
after reading cab's review of his bro's MC, maybe they should put a roll of that in the glovebox as "standard equipment."

wait, what am I thinking, MC would make a roll of duct tape a $100 option.

Don't joke, I keep a roll and some bailing wire in my boat tools. And yes they have both saved vacations!!!

SmithKraigS
08-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Just google for bimini poles, should be 7/8 aluminum

SC_LSV
08-15-2010, 08:57 PM
I sheared a pole on mine last summer. Go on ebay and search for bimini repair kit or something like that. I got one that was 1 tube size smaller, inserted in the two pieces and then put 4 screws back into it for stability. Been working all summer.

If that doesn't work. Call great lakes boat top and talk to there engineering department. they can replace whatever is broken.