PDA

View Full Version : Stock Aeware Stereo Remote

squeeg333
08-12-2010, 04:19 PM
As most of you have had at one point, I have the stock Aeware remotes for my Kenwood deck. They seemed to work well, for the most part, with some erratic behavior. Within the past week or so, they have pretty much stopped working. I will be able to control the stereo for only only or two pushes of the remote, and then it will stop. The power is running to the remote as the backlight is on. I have tried to unconnect and reconnect the stereo remote connection behind the deck, with no avail.

I've tried to follow the wire routing from the remote over to the deck but haven't been able to find any loose connections.

Has anyone been able to find a fix for this issue. I know I've read about it before on here, but never found an answer that has worked for me (yet). I don't particulalry want to replace them, at least yet.

viking
08-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Sorry Squeeg can't help you there. Mine has been working flawlessly and I upgraded my HU this past spring and no probs here! It controls my AUX and USB devices (limitedly) but it does alow me volume and forward/back on all tracks for my ipod.

The only oddity is getting to the different inputs as the HU has more options than the puck so it took a few times to figure out you just need to hit AUX on the remote a couple time to cycle through the available sources.

tailgate
08-12-2010, 04:35 PM
it has been my experience they suck, I replaced both of mine with the kenwood model, they can be had for fairly cheap on ebay... Easy swap, same holes, same wires...

Mine would stop responding to all input, you had to push really hard and move the buttons around for the pad to make contact. i took it in for warranty, but my dealer said I just had to push harder :rolleyes:, but thats a different story...

It was a pain to pick up a rider and mess with the remote just to mute the stereo... Kenwood remote feels more tactile and responds to the pushes...

squeeg333
08-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Tailgate, thanks man. I didn't realize there was a direct replacement out there. I'm hoping I don't need to go that route. I think it's some sort of wire short that's going on.

Viking - True, the remotes have some draw backs, but when they work, they are great! I hate having to have the passenger control things for me. Lame. I hope I can find a fix...

cab13367
08-14-2010, 02:47 AM
Tailgate, thanks man. I didn't realize there was a direct replacement out there. I'm hoping I don't need to go that route. I think it's some sort of wire short that's going on.

Viking - True, the remotes have some draw backs, but when they work, they are great! I hate having to have the passenger control things for me. Lame. I hope I can find a fix...

Sometimes these pucks just go bad, even the Kenwood ones. I had one go bad recently. First it wouldn't respond to any inputs, then they would stick (I would press the up volume button once and it would act like I was holding it down) and I had to quickly shut the stereo off before the speakers blew. I bought another one from eBay for $35 shipped and it works flawlessly. Just search "kenwood wired remote" and lots will pop up.

squeeg333
08-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Hmm, thanks Cab. I am hoping that it's not in the puck, but in the headunit (I've been wanting an excuse to get a new one - with a good excuse my wife might say yes!). I am guessing the only way I can really tell if it's the puck or headunit is if I can get a signal from the pucks each time I press the keys. My inclination is it's not the pucks though, since they both used to work, and now they are both exhibiting the same problem. Just seems strange that they'd do the identical thing and at the exact same time if they were going bad. But, you know how electronics can be...

cab13367
08-16-2010, 05:24 PM
Hmm, thanks Cab. I am hoping that it's not in the puck, but in the headunit (I've been wanting an excuse to get a new one - with a good excuse my wife might say yes!). I am guessing the only way I can really tell if it's the puck or headunit is if I can get a signal from the pucks each time I press the keys. My inclination is it's not the pucks though, since they both used to work, and now they are both exhibiting the same problem. Just seems strange that they'd do the identical thing and at the exact same time if they were going bad. But, you know how electronics can be...

In my case, only one was acting up, the other one worked fine. I agree that if both your pucks are acting up in the same way, then it may not be the pucks.

squeeg333
08-16-2010, 05:34 PM
Thanks Cab. I appreciate the clarification. Do you like those Kenwood remotes? I noticed that those have an inline fuse for each remote. What are the chances that the aeware remotes have them? Do you happen to know?
I've tried to trace the wires from the helm remote back to where the wire bundle goes down thru the footrest in the floor, but didn't see any fuses. That doesn't mean I didn't miss something though.

Razzman
08-16-2010, 05:56 PM
There were no fuses on my Aeware remotes when i removed them.

cab13367
08-16-2010, 06:00 PM
I don't remember if the Aewares had fuses or not. A blown fuse would not explain your intermittent problem though. I like the Kenwood remotes, I think they look a little nicer, more modern, and the buttons are pressure switches rather than raised buttons like the Aeware which I like better since the one on the transom gets wet. And yes, they do have an ATC type fuse on the power wire.

skiyaker
08-16-2010, 08:44 PM
I have the aeware pucks and the stupidest thing about them at least on my boat is that if you turn up the tunes loud enough using the puck then it won't turn the volume back down- you have to go to the head unit to turn it back down. My dealer seemed to be "aeware" of this feature because he told me it might happen so I assume that's a common quirk. Are the kenwood remotes better in terms of this?

cab13367
08-16-2010, 08:59 PM
I have the aeware pucks and the stupidest thing about them at least on my boat is that if you turn up the tunes loud enough using the puck then it won't turn the volume back down- you have to go to the head unit to turn it back down. My dealer seemed to be "aeware" of this feature because he told me it might happen so I assume that's a common quirk. Are the kenwood remotes better in terms of this?

My Kenwoods don't do that. I did have one that when u pushed the volume button up once, it would "stick" and keep turning up all the way to full volume. I replaced that one with a new one of the same model and it works like it's supposed to.