PDA

View Full Version : Sheared Screw - Random Question

squeeg333
08-12-2010, 12:17 PM
After a long weekend out on the boat for a bachelor party, I had to thoroughly clean the carpet in my boat. Well, I was finishing the job up, and sucking the rest of the soapy water out of the bilge, when I saw what looked like a set screw. Thought that was odd, but checked it out. It turned out to be a screw that appears to either have sheared off, or been cut off.

It looks like about a #8 machine screw, and has about 8 thread on it. several of the threads appear to be damaged, as if something was pushed across them, and has a ragged edge where cut.

I've found some strange things in the bilge over the past year, just from carelessness of assembly or winterizing, but figured I'd found all of it. Have any of you found anything like this before? I looked all around to see if I could find where it came from, but I think a #8 wouldn't be used on the engine, though I could be wrong. I guess I'm confused why, if it was cut, Skiers Choice would cut a screw like that.

Anyway, any advice you've got would be solid.

kaneboats
08-12-2010, 02:01 PM
That's very common with boats, cars, etc. The installer, machiner, fabricator, whatever their title, drops a screw or gets a messed up one and they just leave it and keep going. Pull up the carpet in your truck some time-- you'll find the same thing. If it hits the floor they have to clean it up-- if it stays in the vehicle it's gone forever, right?

squeeg333
08-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Kane, thanks. I appreciate the feedback. That was precisely my thinking, and, frankly, it didn't look like a "bolt" failure, or a clean sheer. It looked more like a hacksaw or something. Just seemed weird that it showed up, but, there's lots of nooks and crannies down there, so I suppose things will show up often!

viking
08-12-2010, 04:37 PM
had the dealer winterize my old boat and found a socket in the doghouse.
the dealer (different dealer by the way) winterized my outback last year and found a racheting open end wrench in the doghouse.

Needless to say I'll be winterizing this year. Can't break even on just one tool or accessory each year. They'd need to leave a whole toolbox in the boat for me to break even on what they charge :)