PDA

View Full Version : Waterproofing your stereo remote?

lewisb13
08-12-2010, 12:17 PM
So I just ordered a remote, like a TV-style remote for my 05 LSV with the stock Kenwood KDC-225 head unit in it. Aside from a zip lock bag, what would be a better way to waterproof it so that I can just leave it tied to something near the swim deck when we are all in the water. Not sure if pelican makes something. Cheers.

lewisb13
08-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Something along the lines of this maybe?

http://www.proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05.php?t_id=42&t_mode=des

lewisb13
08-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Im trying to get away from having to buy a new head unit. I have enough clouding my bank account with all these amps, power distribution systems, level controls, wiring, tower speakers, etc. My current head unit has a wired remote like the one you have on the back of your boat, but its like molded into the cockpit. I suppose I could relocate that one to the back of the boat, put something crafty in the hole it leaves behind, and use the TV-style remote up front, but that would cause me to have to operate the boat with the glove box open. Id rather have the glove box open when Im just cove-ing it. Feel me?

sandm
08-12-2010, 12:43 PM
remotes are under $100 for the older style..

best way to go, as ed is suggesting..

viking
08-12-2010, 12:44 PM
And you can have more than 1 "hockey puck" style remote wired to the HU. Have 1 at the cockpit and 1 at the transom?

I think you'd have issues with the tv style remote working off the swim platform anyway unless you have it up high, pointed right at the HU, and the lid open on the glove box. Ditch it imo!

I have one and it just sits in the glove box anyway. I was going to install a transom remote but find I set the system where I want it and usually never change it while we are coving. Somebody is always close to the deck or cockpit remote grabing a beer, towel or whatever to make changes so never a problem on my ride!

lewisb13
08-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Just to clarify I already have the TV style remote. I need to be able to control the radio from in the drivers seat with the glove box closed AND from in the water. I have a hard wired remote that came stock with the boat and it is right above the throttle. My head unit only has 1 input on the back of it for a remote, not sure if they make an "input splitter"?

viking
08-12-2010, 12:51 PM
Thats EXACTLY what I said :)

Intall a transom remote in tandem just like Ed shows in the pic.

lewisb13
08-12-2010, 12:52 PM
You guys arent picking up what Im putting down. I CANT install a transom remote. Theres only ONE input on the head unit and that is being used by the current cockpit remote. If I relocate the one in the cockpit to the back of the boat, I lose the ability to control the radio from the drivers seat. Again, is there an "input splitter" or somethign you can hook 2 remotes into that allows for ONE plug at the head unit?

lewisb13
08-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Do you have a part number or where you got it from?

lewisb13
08-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks again for all the info. Hunt begins for said hardware...

ian ashton
08-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Im trying to get away from having to buy a new head unit. I have enough clouding my bank account with all these amps, power distribution systems, level controls, wiring, tower speakers, etc. My current head unit has a wired remote like the one you have on the back of your boat, but its like molded into the cockpit. I suppose I could relocate that one to the back of the boat, put something crafty in the hole it leaves behind, and use the TV-style remote up front, but that would cause me to have to operate the boat with the glove box open. Id rather have the glove box open when Im just cove-ing it. Feel me?

You can wire as many remotes as you like to that unit. I have 2 that I installed myself. You don't need a "Y" cable, the remote has 4 wires, just match up the colors and you are good to go. Infact, some of the boats are pre-wired for a transom remote, you just have to dig out the wires from the harness.

lewisb13
08-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Any idea what the model is of that remote or where to get one? I keep looking on different sites at the discontinued head unit because a lot of the accessories are still available, but none of the sites list the little oval remote that we all know and love. I tried ebay too, but without a part number or anything to identify, I dont really know how to get my hands on one. I think the stock kenwood head unit is much different even between the 05 and 06. I have the 05. Its a KDC-MP225.

Razzman
08-12-2010, 05:41 PM
First off your probably looking in all the wrong places, if your talking about the Aeware remote that is. It's not made for the application SC uses it for, it's actually initially made for the Spa industry and SC is the only boat mfgr that uses it. Good luck as they're not cheap new.

Examples:
http://www.allpartspoolandspa.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetail&item=_TSC-55

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wired-Reote-Keypad-070-005002-Aeware-in-tune-Gecko-TS-/370410517334?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

cab13367
08-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Any idea what the model is of that remote or where to get one? I keep looking on different sites at the discontinued head unit because a lot of the accessories are still available, but none of the sites list the little oval remote that we all know and love. I tried ebay too, but without a part number or anything to identify, I dont really know how to get my hands on one. I think the stock kenwood head unit is much different even between the 05 and 06. I have the 05. Its a KDC-MP225.

lewis,

As everyone has been saying, you can string together as many remotes as you want. Just splice into the wires from the existing remote and run in to the transom to your second remote. I used security cable from Home Depot - worked great.

Go to Ebay and search "kenwood wired remote". I got the Kenwood remote instead of the Aeware remote. The part # is KCA-RC50MR, like the link below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kenwood-PKGRC50MR-WIRED-REMOTE-KDC232MR-NEW-11667-/150470385411?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

I had one go out recently and was able to find a new one for $35 shipped from eBay.

Al