PDA

View Full Version : Inboard handling?

NCSUmoomba
08-09-2010, 04:56 PM
My buddy just bought a new MC X-2. This weekend we were both out at the lake, and I went from driving my Outback DD directly into driving his V-drive, and I was really surprised at the handling difference. His boat handled like a tank. I didn't want to turn and the steering was sluggish to response. In my Outback, it goes where you point it, and responds to streering input instantly. His X-2 was very slow to respond to steering input. I would turn the wheel, and it seemed like there was a delay before the boat did anything. I have driven a Malibu VLX and a Tige 20V, and I didn't seem to notice it being that different, but I didn't get right out of my boat, into those. Is there something about a V-drive that makes the steering like this, or is that just MC's idea of how a boat should turn? My buddy even noticed it when he drove my boat later that day. He said he had forgotten how well my boat handles.

bjames
08-09-2010, 05:43 PM
I recently read a review for a 2009 X2 and was surprised to read that during the test, there was noticeable side to side pull from the rider but was easily corrected by minor steering corrections... I dont recall ever having my sterring affected by anybody I have pulled. I have also searched on youtube for video of surf wakes the X2 produces, they all look very washy. With my starboard 750lbs fat sac full and center bag full and wakeplate up, the wave has a perfect shape and curl. I will have to post my own video one day.:D

zegm
08-09-2010, 11:06 PM
My buddy just bought a new MC X-2. This weekend we were both out at the lake, and I went from driving my Outback DD directly into driving his V-drive, and I was really surprised at the handling difference. His boat handled like a tank. I didn't want to turn and the steering was sluggish to response. In my Outback, it goes where you point it, and responds to streering input instantly. His X-2 was very slow to respond to steering input. I would turn the wheel, and it seemed like there was a delay before the boat did anything. I have driven a Malibu VLX and a Tige 20V, and I didn't seem to notice it being that different, but I didn't get right out of my boat, into those. Is there something about a V-drive that makes the steering like this, or is that just MC's idea of how a boat should turn? My buddy even noticed it when he drove my boat later that day. He said he had forgotten how well my boat handles.

The rudder on a DD boat has about a 4 ft long lever arm to the center of mass while a VD has basically none. You should expect a DD to turn quicker/easier no matter who makes it. The same reason they make bigger wakes is also the same reason they are not going to pivot around the center of the boat like a DD will. Look up the Bell P-39 Aircobra of WWII fame great concept, terrible engine though. :D

you da man
08-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Your DD hull is pivoting around the engine in the center. The v-drives have the engine on the outside edge of the hull which the boat is fighting that weight. Likewise, once the v-drives starts to turn in one direction, having all the engine weight is tougher than having the engine in the middle of the boat. I'll take sluggish steering with better wake for boarding and surfing over a ski wake.

rc5695
08-10-2010, 12:24 PM
First thing I noticed when I first drove my V-drive is that it drove like a tank compared to all my dad's DD's, which handled like sportscars! I think it is mostly from the weight being in the back, but not having any fins doen'st do i tany favors either, when it comes to tracking anyways. As far as tracking goes though, mine doens't pull around too bad at all.

('99 Kamberra)

you da man
08-10-2010, 03:02 PM
First thing I noticed when I first drove my V-drive is that it drove like a tank compared to all my dad's DD's, which handled like sportscars! I think it is mostly from the weight being in the back, but not having any fins doen'st do i tany favors either, when it comes to tracking anyways. As far as tracking goes though, mine doens't pull around too bad at all.

('99 Kamberra)

I guess in '99 they didn't have tracking fins, they do now