PDA

View Full Version : Outback vs Outback LS vs Outback LSV

clark
08-26-2004, 02:23 PM
I am trying to decide between which of the 3 outbacks I want. I have one son that wakeboards and one son the slaloms. I like the seating layout of the LSV (seems to have more room). How is the slalom wake on the LSV. How is the GPH on any og these boats. I have never owned an inboard, only I/O drives. Please help me with my decision.

Thanks.

jburnside
08-27-2004, 09:39 AM
Clark,
Our family currently owns a 2003 Outback LS and we enjoy the boat very much. I would encourage you to really think about what you primarily intend to use the boat for, recreational skiing, open water slalom skiing, competitive slalom skiing, or wakeboarding. Once you have that figured out, think about where you might be in a year or two... more slalom or more wakeboarding. If all things remain fairly balanced I would suggest the Outback LS with the factory ballast and tower. If you are going to be more of a skiing family opt for the straight Outback. And of course if wakeboarding is where you see your family, look at the Outback LSV with all the appropriate options. We are already looking at different Supra and Moomba models because we didn't really think ahead. My family has really moved into wakeboarding and we didn't set up our current boat that way. So I have ended up adding the wakeboard accessories we need.

You asked about the wake on the LSV, it will be large if compared to tournament direct drive inboard boats. Too much weight in the rear of the boat. Works good for wakeboarding though.

I think most people are experiencing about 5 gph in the fuel consumption area while towing skiers or boarders.

Some other items to think about are; will you keep the boat in the water or will you trailer to the lake each time. If you intend to trailer I would suggest a double axle trailer. I would also opt for the fuel injected motor over the carb model (ours is carbureted). The hydraulic wakeplate should be a must, and I wish our boat had the upgraded carpet. Good luck, whatever model you end up with will be great. Moomba makes awesome boats.

clark
08-27-2004, 10:31 AM
Thanks for info.
There are several togh issues here. Like I said one will only wakeboard, the other does both. Neither are at high skill level, recreational all the way. They both want to improve. Why did you choose the LS over the standard Outback. The only difference I see is the ski locker and 4" longer. Is there more? We really need storage space. We normally carry 2 sets of skis in case others want to ski (double), or just like the wider skies. I realize the wakeboard tower and racks will take care of the wakeboards. I love the configuration in the LSV because of the room we are accustomed to in the old I/O we had. I am going from an 18' Bayliner runabout to whatever I buy next. It will be at least 20' with a V8. I am concerned the LSV wake will be too much for the slalom skiing, plus it is $4000 more than the Outback. I have never owned an inboard before, but am told it is the only way to go. Also, I have been told that inboards have a harsh ride, and from 2 different people that own a Moomba Outback, was told that 9 GPH was the norm. I realize the more info I get the better off I am, so please give me all the info you can think of. Another issue is my boys are 16 and 19 yrs old. I will paying for this boat for a long time. Even after they are grown and gone, I am sure they will continue going to the lake with us, but are either of these boats something I will enjoy while just cruising the lake with my wife?

Why the fuel injection instead of the carburator? With this option, don't you have to upgrade and get a larger engine? I am thinking more gas for more HP? Help me with this too.

Like I said,,, a lot to consider. I have heard lots of good things about Moomba, but still trying to decide whether to buy inboard or I/O with a V8 and tower. Problem is,,, when you buy a 20-21' bowrider with a V8 and tower, you will spend more than even the Moomba LSV.

Please, anyone, give me all the infoyou can to help me with my decision.

Thanks for taking the time with my investment choices.

08-27-2004, 05:11 PM
The Outback and Outback LS have different hulls. The Outback is a straight, tournament-approved slalom boat. The LS has a deeper hull, actually the same hull as the Mobius. Hope this helps. I would think the LS with a tower and some ballast options might be your best bet.

MartyC
08-27-2004, 05:16 PM
The Outback is a different hull from the Outback LS and the LSV. The Outback is a straight, tournament-approved slalom hull. It is not intended for wakeboarding. The LS and LSV hull is deeper. The LS is more of a cross-over boat and the LSV would be more geared toward wakeboarding. Sounds like your best bet might be an Outback LS with a tower and a ballast set up.

Yellowmobius
08-28-2004, 01:36 AM
I would highly recommend test driving one of each and see what the wake is like on an LSV with the wakeplate. I am told it is not bad at all. I have a 2001 Mobius d-drive, My thought was I still ski and haad the same concerns you do about the wake. Turns out I very rarely ski anymore, all boarding. So I sit with a 2001 d-drive and I now want a v-drive. I also think the v-drive would make a better "crusier" for you and the wife when you are out alone. (more room to play)

Shoemaker Mobius
08-28-2004, 04:04 PM
Clark,
As others have said, the Outback hull is a ski hull whereas the Outback LS and LSV have a hull designed for wakeboarding. So you know, the Outback LS is equal to the Mobius LS and the Outback LSV is equal to the Mobius LSV. The difference between these pairs is that the Mobius comes outfitted for basic wakeboarding as standard equipment (for example a tower, a single bag Bertha Ballast system, etc.). There are Mobius upgrade options such as a hydraulic wake plate, a 3 bag Bertha Ballast system, and some others. However, you can add options to an Outback LS and LSV which would then make it exactly the same as its Mobius brother. I believe it is intended that adding options to an Outback model would cost slightly more than the equivalently configured Mobius (although I am not certain of this). Like others, the Outback/Mobius LS is more of a cross-over boat than the LSV.

As far as gph, I have a 2004 Mobius LSV 310hp carbureted engine with the single Bertha Ballast in the ski locker. I add two 540lb fat sacs in the compartments alongside the v-drive engine. We usually have 3-5 people in the boat. I typically get right around 5 gph. I have never seen it at 9 gph.

I likewise would go with the 320hp EFI engine instead of the carbureted engine. The only difference between the 320hp EFI and the 310hp carbureted engine is the EFI - same engine, just EFI instead of carburetor. You can also upgrade further to the 340hp MPI engine, but I think that's overkill. I have had no problems with my carbureted engine, but I believe the EFI is smoother and easier starting.

jburnside
08-31-2004, 01:30 PM
Clark,
You asked why we chose the LS over the straight Outback. For us we were looking for as much storage space as possible and we wanted a boat that rode a little deeper in the water (looking for that true cross-over wake). It does a pretty good job at both major disciplines, not perfect, but not bad either. The boat has a little bit more freeboard than the straight outback as well. That always helps in trying to keep water from coming over the bow when you turn around to pick up fallen skiers and boarders when it's choppy. We really do love our boat and use it all the time. The boat really has a lot of storage space.

You also asked about the ride for just cruising. My question to you is, how big of a lake are you on and does it get real choppy? Like maybe 1+ foot waves? Is it really exposed to wind. Our boat does ok, but when it gets real windy and/or there are a lot of boats out chopping up every bit of the lake, we usually head for the dock. These boats do not ride as well as true deep V hull boats. The LS or the LSV should be better than the straight Outback. The LSV and the LS have the exact same hull, no difference except for the placement of the engine.

A couple of things to consider when you decide on the engine, you will have an easier time starting the EFI motor in a cold or hot start condition. The EFI motor allows you to idle back away from the dock when the engine is still below the normal operating temp, nice when using busy public launches. Slightly better fuel consumption over the carb model. Slight increase in performance. And last but certainly not least, you will see a better resale value with the EFI motor. Like I stated before we have the standard 310 hp motor in out boat and it works fine, I also know that our next boat will be equipped with a EFI motor. Good luck.

08-31-2004, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the addtional info. I can't wait to drive one.

09-03-2004, 10:49 AM
Thanks for info Jeff. The lake we are on does have super big waves except for certain weekends. One other thing I am contemplating is do I want the Mobius LS or the Outback LS. I really would like the space under the back seat, but on the other hand would like to flip a switch and load up the ballast tank. The EFI engine sounds good, but is around $1300 more. Thanks again for the info.. At least now I think I have narrowed it down to 2 boats...... I think.

Clark

clark
09-09-2004, 07:21 AM
After speaking with the only dealer in my state yesterday, he said that he would let me test drive an LS and LSV. He said unless I required tournament slalom wakes, the LSV with wakeplate may fit my overall family needs better...more space, slaloming, wakeboarding, and family enjoyment. Looks like much more leg room in an LSV. My wife does not like the "thing in the middle of the boat". We had to remind her that that was the motor.

Any LSV owners out there that can speak on the LSV with wakeplate. Do I have to use the front ballast along with the wakeplate for slaloming. Any info on the LSV would be appreciated. And then do you go with the Moomba or Mobius. I hear that the Mobius and Moomba are the same except the Mobius has more standard features, like tower. Also, I like the Mobius graphics. Do both have the same hull??

Like I said,,,, any information would be helpful.

I need a MULTI-purpose boat,,, skiing, boarding, cruising, space, storage.... am I asking for too much,,, or can a Moomba boat fit the bill?

Thanks, Clark

jburnside
09-09-2004, 08:56 AM
Clark,
The ballast in the front ski locker would only be used for wakeboarding or trick skiing where you want to sink the hull of the boat lower into the water, thus creating a larger wake behind the boat. You will want the boat as light as possible for slalom skiing. You will use the hydraulic wake plate for everything, it allows you to shape the wake and control the running attitude of the boat.

When you say Moomba and Mobius I assume you are talking about the Outback LS/ LSV and the Mobius LS/LSV. There is no difference between the hulls of any of those boats. The main difference between the Outback and Mobius models is that the mobius comes standard with the basic wakeboarding features, ie. Tower, front ballast bag, and different graphics. All can certainly be added to the Outback models.

It sounds to me that the LSV models are what will fit your needs best and with a little practice driving in rough water you will find that the boat will perform fine. Moomba makes a great boat and they offer them at very good prices. I think that a Moomba will certainly fit your bill. Make sure you take your ski with you when you test drive the boat so you can actually ski behind both models. Good luck.

clark
09-09-2004, 10:18 AM
Jeff,

Thanks for the info. I explained to the dealer that I would not be purchasing a boat until the January boat show, he was fine with that, however, he was a little reluctant to let my son ski behind it. He mentioned that we would test a brand new boat and the boat would not broken in yet. Plus, he stated that this would be someone elses boat since I would not be buying right now and climbing in and out wet may not be the best thing to do. He did say that I could ski behind it,,,, he just wasn't very thrilled about it. I think he didn't want 2 or 3 people in and out. He said we could probably tell enough about the slalom and wakeboard wakes by just driving it and looking at the wakes. This may be true, but you can not tell about how they will pull you up and how it feels behind the boat.

Jeff, about the LSV and ballast,,, are you saying that with the v-drive, I should not 'need ' to use any ballast for wake boarding or skiing? Just let the wakeplate handle it? I know with the LS, I would probably need to use the rear ballast for wakeboarding. I know what the dealer said about the Perfect Pass system, but have you used it,,, or does that boat hold speeds well. I know that for wakeboarding with my bowrider, I would constantly be adjusting the throttle to keep the correct speed. For faster speeds, like skiing or tubing, it did OK.

Again, any other info you can give would be helpful.

Ramasaur
09-09-2004, 01:31 PM
Clark, email me at [email protected]..

I can give you some idea of how they pull, I'm 240lbs, I've pull about 10 different size wakeboarders, some pros and some beginners.

clark
09-09-2004, 02:50 PM
I sent you an email.
Thanks

Shoemaker Mobius
09-10-2004, 09:25 AM
Clark,
If you need further info you can likewise email me at [email protected].