PDA

View Full Version : horrible grinding noise

NLindellDC
08-08-2010, 05:18 PM
So we were out on the water today and I initially just heard a loud, high pitched singing noise coming from the engine compartment like something rubbing. I immediately opened the engine hatch (after shutting the engine off) and looked around. Oil and transmission fluid normal. Re-cranked motor and noise went from high pitched singing to a loud, God-awful grinding noise (in neutral, didn't change when I quickly put it into gear). It appears to be coming from the front of the engine up toward the tranny.

Any initial thoughts?

Oh, and we got towed back, didn't re-crank after that.

Engine Nut
08-08-2010, 07:40 PM
I'm guessing you have a bad drive plate.The drive plate bolts to the flywheel and the transmission plugs into it.

So we were out on the water today and I initially just heard a loud, high pitched singing noise coming from the engine compartment like something rubbing. I immediately opened the engine hatch (after shutting the engine off) and looked around. Oil and transmission fluid normal. Re-cranked motor and noise went from high pitched singing to a loud, God-awful grinding noise (in neutral, didn't change when I quickly put it into gear). It appears to be coming from the front of the engine up toward the tranny.

Any initial thoughts?

Oh, and we got towed back, didn't re-crank after that.

NLindellDC
08-09-2010, 09:55 AM
sounds good to me. It certainly is in the right area. So is this going to be expensive? (I know it ALWAYS is, but I guess everything is relative).