PDA

View Full Version : Amplifier help.....

Eric Z
08-06-2010, 11:33 AM
I just added an Infinity 310a mono amp for my subs. I am not getting much sound ont of it. The amp is used and I am told it was working great the other day when it was hooked up in the guys car I bought it from. I Have two JL w3 10" dual voice coil subs that I was going to run with it. I have installed everthing and it sounds like it may only be putting out maybe 1/4 the sound it should. My subs are wired with the other voice coil ran to the main voice coil and then has the lead going to the amp. I have it wired to 2ohm load for each sub. My amp is 2ohm stable. My mono amp has two speaker outputs, and I have both subs ran to the amp. When I hook it up to my MTX 8302 it works great. But it is a true 2 ch. amp. What could be the issues. I am looking for help from all of you stereo gods... Is running two 2ohm subs to it dropping it down to 1ohm? Bad Ground? Bad amp? My RCA cord is ran from the MTX to the Infinity and all are being ran from my capacitor. HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!

newty
08-06-2010, 08:15 PM
You need to be more specific. But I'll go on a few assumptions.
If you have 2 4ohm dvc subs wired to a mono amp thats stable to 2 ohms you are either running 1 ohm or 4ohms. The other thing is according to JL, those subs want to see 500watts rms each.
Your amps RMS power rating is 116 watts x 1 at 4 ohms / 312 watts x 1 at 2 ohms. You are severly underpowering those subs. That would explain the "1/4 volume" effect.
Am I missing something? You really need to make sure your amp output meets your sub power requirements.

You either need to run one sub or get a bigger amp. Even with 1 sub the amp is too small in my opinion.

Eric Z
08-07-2010, 02:24 PM
I told the guy I traded that it wasn't working properly and he is trading me back today. I now am going to buy a JL 1200w Mono amp. It should run it with no issues at all...Thanks for the help.

newty
08-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Just make sure that amp is 1 ohm stable. Sounds like a good match otherwise. Good luck!