PDA

View Full Version : Z5 cargo rack front tie downs

mnpracing
08-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Anyone have a picture of their Z5 with the front tie downs attached for trailering? I'm trying to figure out how the tie downs attach to the Z5 and where the other end attaches to the boat or tower. Their website indicates that it is fully trailerable, but you need to have the 2 front tie downs attached, and take off the cargo netting.

Thanks

brain_rinse
08-05-2010, 10:12 AM
I don't have a pic with me today but I can try to describe it. You just loop the strap over the Z5 rail at the front, and pull the clasp end through the loop end. Then the eyelet attaches to the tower, and you hook the clasp to the eyelet. Ok, a picture would be much better... :)

FYI, I stopped using them because they wouldn't stay tight and gouged up my tower. I tried tightening the straps before locking the rear pins in place to keep it nice and tight too, but they still became loose which allowed the clasp to flap against the tower.

brain_rinse
08-05-2010, 10:29 AM
OK, found the pics. First pic shows how the strap is attached. Second pic shows the eyelet and resulting scratches.

mnpracing
08-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Newty - without the straps, no issues towing at highway speeds?

brain_rinse
08-05-2010, 11:52 AM
I'm assuming you meant me and not Newty? :) No issues. They are a nice CYA/backup incase one of the mounts would let go, but after all the hassle I just scrapped them. They didn't even have those straps the first couple of years the Z5 was out so I'm OK without them.

Of course I will recommend that YOU use them so as to absolve myself of any liability either expressed or implied. :)

bjames
08-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Here is a pic of the tie down that came with my Z5

bjames
08-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Newty - without the straps, no issues towing at highway speeds?

Be carefull on the highway. Last month I passed a guy on the shoulder who lost his Z5 off his Supra from trailering. I think he had a 2007, but it didnt have the tie downs. His Z5 was about 1/2 mile up the road.

mnpracing
08-05-2010, 12:03 PM
brain - sorry dude, don't know what I was thinking

jmvotto
08-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Z5 will fit on an Outback V? I would like to see pics of that

zegm
08-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Z5 will fit on an Outback V? I would like to see pics of that

No it won't fit the Outback V but you can get a top like it from Monster Towers. Ask Wolfeman about his!
Z5 tie downs? I guess they didn't come with them in 2008 because we don't have them. We always take the cover off and tow sometimes for hundreds of miles without any problems. Once you get the hang of it it is easy to take off and put the cover back on and it keeps it from prematurely wearing out from flapping in the wind at 70mph. If there was a major problem I would assume I would be getting a pair as part of a recall?

jmvotto
08-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Doesn't mnpracing have a OBV 06?

danimal365
08-05-2010, 02:41 PM
He's coming to buy my LSV tomorrow...

wolfeman131
08-05-2010, 03:14 PM
JV - I tried, tried, and tried to find a way to get a Z5 on the 1 5/8 inch rad-a-cage tower, but didn't find a solution. Search for my mod thread on the Monster Cargo rack. I love it! Similar functionality to the Z5, bit different look, but A LOT easier on the wallet.

jmvotto
08-05-2010, 03:15 PM
glad to see it moving, i was tempted to come to Michigan, inlaws are near Coldwater, but i think my wife would have killed me. beautiful boat i am jealous congrats mnpracing....:)

jmvotto
08-05-2010, 03:16 PM
JV - I tried, tried, and tried to find a way to get a Z5 on the 1 5/8 inch rad-a-cage tower, but didn't find a solution. Search for my mod thread on the Monster Cargo rack. I love it! Similar functionality to the Z5, bit different look, but A LOT easier on the wallet.

Drew i saw that and very impressed. The OBV does not have much for storage...

jjolson
08-05-2010, 11:44 PM
So I had the same issue as Brain with the straps loosening and scratching the tower. This last trip I wrapped the scratched area with the syran wrap packing film and then duct tape over the top of that. Oddly enough, the straps did not loosen this past trip. So, it did not do anything to the taped area but I like having the extra protection.

I have heard of others say that a Z5 has let loose before without the straps....

you da man
08-06-2010, 01:23 AM
Weird, I don't have a scratch on my XLV tower from the straps.

bjames
08-06-2010, 10:05 AM
I guess they didn't come with them in 2008 because we don't have them. We always take the cover off and tow sometimes for hundreds of miles without any problems. If there was a major problem I would assume I would be getting a pair as part of a recall?

Go onto Z5 website http://www.z5sportracks.com/products they have a retrofit kit for older models that did not come with the straps. I never take my top off except for storage.

zegm
08-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Go onto Z5 website http://www.z5sportracks.com/products they have a retrofit kit for older models that did not come with the straps. I never take my top off except for storage.

Last year we towed on 2 different trips that each were 600 miles round trip eah. When we got home we noticed that the cover had worn a hole in it where it was flapping around one of the support tubes. Since then we always take the canvas off and have gotten pretty good at re-installing it. I also thought that possibly my gas mileage and the strain on the frame work of the top would both be reduced by doing this. As far as the straps go I image they are to constrain the top should all 4 pins were to come out (unlikely if you check them before you go). If that is the case then I could just tie a rope or something like that from the Z5 to the tower and not worry about drilling holes in the hull and the top.