PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problem

smumattman64
08-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Got something strange going on with my 2003 Outback LS. Occasionally when I turn the ignition to start it acts like the battery is either totally dead or very low. I giggle the throttle to make sure it's in neutral a couple of time or push the middle button and advance the throttle and it will start right up. Trying to figure out if I have a battery issue or is maybe a sensor or something that tells it that the throttle is in neutral going out. Luckily, we haven't gotten stuck yet, so trying to fix before I do get stuck out there.

Ian Brantford
08-11-2010, 11:50 AM
If it were just an unambiguous failure to start, a switch or dodgy lockout would be the prime suspect. However, since you also have the occasional "low battery" symptom, causes that come on gradually should be on the list. This means that the battery could be in poor condition (well-used or sporting a defect).

However, with your boat's age, I would include corroded wiring. It's possible for corrision to develop underneath the battery wires' insulation. It will usually start at one end of the wire, so you can peel back just a bit of insulation to peek at the condition of the wire.

Waynes345
08-11-2010, 05:56 PM
I was having a very similar issue and after a ton of messing around, ended up replacing the positive battery connection. The insulation had pulled slightly away and the wires were beginning to corrode. Evidently just enough to cause an intermittant problem. Has started fine since replacing the connector.

Lynn Syndrom
06-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Hello - I have a 2003 Outback that has a similar problem when starting.

Turn key - all gauges and stereo (if on) work but no power to starter for ignition.

I have tried to "jiggle" the throttle thinking it was the nuetral safety switch and also removed and reinstalled the main plug going into the emission control module on the back side of the starboard valvle pan cover.

I have been able to get the boat started each of the three times this has happened but not sure which action I took has actually fixed the issue and allowed it too start.

New battery in fall of 2011 - good amps
Also replaced positive battery cable this season thinking that was the issue after reading this post.

Any ideas?

Did you fix your ignition problem?

Thanks,
Mike