PDA

View Full Version : anchors

kaddy
08-04-2010, 01:45 PM
I have an XLV, and my 20 pound anchor isn't cutting it. Even when I'm on a lake, the waves will push my boat around.

What does everyone use for their XLV's? I was thinking about buying a 40 lb. pyramid anchor, which is shaped like a pyramid without any teeth. They are $89 at Fisherman's Marine.

I called AWS today, and they sell a box anchor that has two teeth and folds up. The 30 lb anchor is $169.

Any suggestions?

rmckenney
08-04-2010, 02:24 PM
I have an XLV and I'm running a 16# Danforth type anchor. I don't use it much but when I do, it works fine. However, I only use it on our local river which has a bottom composition of sand and mud, ideal holding ground for any anchor. I would have to ask the following about your current set up:

1. How much rode do you have out?
2. How are you fetching? Are you dropping with or without astern propulsion?
3. What are the bottom compositions that you typically anchor in?
4. What is the depth to rode ratio and how long are you anchoring for?

When I anchor in the river (which can have currents up to 5 kts) I typically put out 50 ft of line for roughly 20 ft of depth with minimal drag. When I drop, I use the current to stream my anchor out and allow the flukes to trip and dig. Obviously in lakes that have rocky bottoms, the Danforth is practically useless and I would venture a grappling type anchor may be more effective.

I have found that successful anchoring is hit and miss. Depends largely on the bottom composition and the amount of rode you are able to put out with relation to the depth you are anchoring in.

RPE_LSV
08-04-2010, 02:46 PM
I don't have an XLV, but we do use a Box Anchor on our LSV. (bought from AWS as well) It's a beast and we absolutely love it. Plus being able to store in out of the way (since it collapses) is nice.

The biggest lesson I've learned about using an anchor is how much anchor line to put out. I love the 7:1 ratio. For every foot deep you are, you need 7 feet of line out in the water. I'm sure some people will say that's overkill, but I don't ever have to worry about my boat moving.

I think most people have too short of a line and it just picks up the anchor when waves/wakes hit the boat.

Hope this helps ya!

Razzman
08-04-2010, 02:55 PM
The small box anchor from Slide Anchor (http://www.slideanchor.com/Hlm_ShopIT_ProductDetails.aspx?ID=024a8189-c4ba-41dc-9a41-c5e749bb8688) for boats 18'-30' without a doubt, the only anchor that holds in all conditions gauranteed or your money back.

I have one and it holds in everything. I've tied four boats to mine and it still holds without slipping even in wind.

With the box anchor you don't need a 7:1 rode. They say a 45 degree angle or 2:1 but i've had it less than that and it still won't let go! I also use the Danik Hook (http://www.slideanchor.com/Hlm_ShopIT_ProductDetails.aspx?ID=5F86B53E-B11B-451B-AD29-3AAE791F3D25) from them to adjust the rope easily, well worth it.

viking
08-04-2010, 04:04 PM
2nd the box anchor from Slide Anchor. I have the small for my outback and love it. Also use the shore spike from them for tethering the transom to the shore.

I use my anchor buddy with the box anchor and never had any problem with it not holding (yet).

mk_deuce
08-04-2010, 05:28 PM
Box anchor for me too! Look on their site at the Danik hook too. It clips right on the bow hook since there is no cleat up front to tie the anchor line off of. Both work perfect. The Box anchor is a little pricey & cumbersome but worth it in my opinion since I am the one who has to set the anchor.

you da man
08-04-2010, 09:31 PM
How ironic, my box anchor arrived today. Used one time and got it on Craigslist for $75 including rope.

mk_deuce
08-04-2010, 09:57 PM
How ironic, my box anchor arrived today. Used one time and got it on Craigslist for $75 including rope.

Why dont you like it if you dont mind me askin?

Razzman
08-04-2010, 10:07 PM
I think what he means is it was used one time and he bought it for $75 on Craigslist.

you da man
08-04-2010, 10:12 PM
I think what he means is it was used one time and he bought it for $75 on Craigslist.

Exactly, half of retail if you guys didn't know how much they cost...but everyone knows it's worth it.

clarkro2
08-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Box anchor & 6 feet of chain. Never had a problem with it not digging.

Razzman
08-05-2010, 07:11 PM
Clark fyi; you don't need chain with a box anchor, in fact they tell ya not to use any. ;)

gus 08 mobius lsv
08-08-2010, 08:23 PM
i had trouble with my danforth anchor not holding as well added 6 feet of chain and its been flawless ever since! i was about to invest in the box anchor but decided to give this a try first cause i don't anchor out too much

kaddy
08-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Thanks for all the info - I went ahead and bought the 25-30 lb. box or slide anchor.

I'll be on Lake Coer d'Alene in Idaho all next week to try it out. :D

Kidder
08-09-2010, 04:44 PM
i had trouble with my danforth anchor not holding as well added 6 feet of chain and its been flawless ever since! i was about to invest in the box anchor but decided to give this a try first cause i don't anchor out too much

+1

My danforth would not hold very well. In reading up on anchors, I discovered that an anchor chain is extremely important in helping the anchor do its thing. So, I added a six foot chain and it's held every time, all the time.

But, I'd love a box anchor because I know they'll hold in almost ANY conditions.

Razzman
08-10-2010, 10:13 AM
+1

My danforth would not hold very well. In reading up on anchors, I discovered that an anchor chain is extremely important in helping the anchor do its thing. So, I added a six foot chain and it's held every time, all the time.

But, I'd love a box anchor because I know they'll hold in almost ANY conditions.

That's true for most anchors except the box anchor. It's designed to NOT use a chain.

I hava a danforth with chain and it's sitting in my garage and it will stay there, what a POS! Just my opinion mind you. :p

wbarksda
08-10-2010, 11:30 AM
What did you search for on Craigslist and where?

Kidder
08-10-2010, 12:08 PM
That's true for most anchors except the box anchor. It's designed to NOT use a chain.

I hava a danforth with chain and it's sitting in my garage and it will stay there, what a POS! Just my opinion mind you. :p

Understood on a box anchor not requiring a chain. I'll get one someday. Send me your address and I'll send you my danforth once that happens. :)

clarkro2
08-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Clark fyi; you don't need chain with a box anchor, in fact they tell ya not to use any. ;)

Really? Didn't know that. Box anchor actually got stuck this weekend at the bottom of Lake Don Pedro. We actually had to swing the boat around to get it free. Love the box anchor. Small, collapsible and easy to store.

Razzman
08-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Really? Didn't know that. Box anchor actually got stuck this weekend at the bottom of Lake Don Pedro. We actually had to swing the boat around to get it free. Love the box anchor. Small, collapsible and easy to store.

That's probably because Don Pedro is extremely muddy and it's like glue. I'm at Don Pedro every other weekend through the summer to include last weekend as well and i have to be over the top of the anchor or passed over for it to release as it's designed to do.

clarkro2
08-10-2010, 03:12 PM
That's probably because Don Pedro is extremely muddy and it's like glue. I'm at Don Pedro every other weekend through the summer to include last weekend as well and i have to be over the top of the anchor or passed over for it to release as it's designed to do.

We stayed at Moccasin Point and launched out of there Fri, Sat and Sun. I still have yet to see another Moomba on any lake.

Razzman
08-10-2010, 03:20 PM
We stayed at Moccasin Point and launched out of there Fri, Sat and Sun. I still have yet to see another Moomba on any lake.

We were at Fleming Fri-Mon, came over to Moccasin on Sunday. Saw two Outbacks and an LSV over the duration.