PDA

View Full Version : Swim Platform Rattle

K_E_N
08-03-2010, 04:39 PM
I know this has been covered a few times before. I've "searched" for forum postings and found a few suggestions, but still no good, reasonable, long-term solutions.
My platform is likely one of the worst out there. The holes in the part of the mount that attaches to the platform itself are so beat out that they have nearly worn through and created a slot in place of a hole. I've tried a few solutions, but have yet to find an adequate fix.
If anyone has re-engineered their swim platform bracket system, please post pics and a description of the fix. I'm working on some more ideas in my head and will post pics myself if I ever come up with a working solution.
I had rather not spend several hundred on new brackets from Moomba, folding brackets from OJ, or custom brackets from a machine shop.

Smiley
08-03-2010, 05:02 PM
The best fix I've seen without replacing the brackets is to weld the holes shut in both the male and female brackets, mount the platform onto the boat, then drill through both pieces.

sandm
08-03-2010, 06:13 PM
ken, mine broke all the way through. it was $100 for a new set that the dealer just happened to have instock since I didn't have time to get my others welded up.

my fix was to take the swimdeck off the brackets, take a piece of stainless .94 thick if I remember correctly, cut it about 3/4" tall and around 3" long. wedge it between the bracket and the mounting block bolted to the boat. this should stop all the side to side and up and down movement. since it's longer than the block, you take a hammer and screwdriver and bend each side in to keep it from sliding out, then reinstall the swimdeck.
ghetto? yes. can it be seen? no, so all good.
is it going to work long term? not sure.
does it work now? yup..
total cost? $4.56 at metal supermarket.

now if yours have broke thru at the bottom, you need to first get them welded/filled then re-drill the holes, then figure out a way to keep it from happening again.

walb0244
08-03-2010, 11:08 PM
I just took mine to a local guy and had him weld up the holes and then I just redrilled them like stated above.

VA LSV
08-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Ditto on welding the holes. Rattle free for 2 seasons.