PDA

View Full Version : My surf wake

you da man
08-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Ok, got a few pictures of my surf wake. Sorry for the quality of the images but my photographer isn't the greatest, neither was her camera, nor the conditions, and that we're facing the sun. You get the general idea though.

The goofy side was with 1100lb rear sac, 400lb on surf side seat, 400lb on surf side floor, and 1180 center full. It has a long pocket and alot of push. Probably needs another 400lbs on the surf side and it was just two of us in the boat.
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/seeajgo/P8010248.jpg

Regular side was very nice (except for the choppy conditions). Same set up as the goofy side but I have 3 Group 31 batteries on this side so that's another 225lbs plus we had two passengers and driver. You can definately see the height and the ramp to the wake. My buddy is 6'3" 240lbs and this was his first day surfing. He did go without the rope a couple times.
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/seeajgo/P8010221.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/seeajgo/P8010225.jpg

I had to try the regular side since it looked pretty big. I've never tried heelside or switch. I got sucked up the face on this picture. My narrow butt is 6'00" so I imagine it's up to my hip.
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/seeajgo/AJheelside.jpg

you da man
08-03-2010, 07:41 AM
I actually like your goofy wave better than the regular! Seems to go on forever.

The regualr side seems steep, but short

Oh it's steep on the regular side. I don't how many times we fell off the top down to the bottom. I think if I put a sac or people up in the bow it'll lengthen it out.

Lawdog
08-03-2010, 08:56 AM
That looks like a really SWEEEET wave. How far back would you say that pocket goes?

you da man
08-03-2010, 09:18 AM
That looks like a really SWEEEET wave. How far back would you say that pocket goes?

The goofy side is long, the surf rope is 22ft and the pocket is further back. Regular side is shorter but has alot more push due to the boat is displacing alot more water. The boat list in the regular side is low enough that the tie down hook on the transom is below the water by an inch or two. The regular wave is crazy steep with the plate up and no extra bow ballast. I know I can easily flatten it out by adding bow weight and/or wakeplate.

you da man
08-03-2010, 09:24 AM

Well, now that I look at the pictures, the regular side pocket is at the end of the 22ft rope as well so I know it will go quite a bit further by shifting some weight and it will definitely have some push. We were laughing so hard at how steep the regular wave was and if turned the boat just a little, it curled vey nicely

bbyquist
08-03-2010, 12:50 PM
All I can say is wow! I'm very jealous of the length of that pocket. Nice work.

MEDIC151
08-07-2010, 11:29 AM
I have been trying to lengthen the pocket on my XLV cause I am tired of hitting the boat. I think I have tried every combination and still can't get it to extend. Any one got any suggestions. If I think about it, I will take pics the next time out.

you da man
08-07-2010, 12:27 PM
I have been trying to lengthen the pocket on my XLV cause I am tired of hitting the boat. I think I have tried every combination and still can't get it to extend. Any one got any suggestions. If I think about it, I will take pics the next time out.

Lots of weight in the back then throw some weight in the bow. I now use over 3,000lbs to surf to get a very large wave AND a good pocket. If I just want a large wave I use 2,250lbs. A trick that works with the XLV is once your wave is tall with the surf side ballast set up...fill a couple hundred pounds in the opposite v-drive sac.

aaroncat
08-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Lots of weight in the back then throw some weight in the bow. I now use over 3,000lbs to surf to get a very large wave AND a good pocket. If I just want a large wave I use 2,250lbs. A trick that works with the XLV is once your wave is tall with the surf side ballast set up...fill a couple hundred pounds in the opposite v-drive sac.

You da man is spot on with mentioning putting weight on the opposite side. It is counter-intuitive, however it was the final piece of the puzzle for getting an incredible wave on my OBV.

We routinely do the following:

750 - surf side locker
400 - front/middle G3 sac
400 - on top of the front/middle G3 sac
400 - on the surf side seat
300 - non-surf side locker
[2250lbs total]

(Also have about 360lbs worth of "people weight" sitting on the surf side gunwale and surf side locker sun deck)

I do find it surprising that with the behemoth XLV you still use 3000lbs.

you da man
08-07-2010, 05:48 PM
You da man is spot on with mentioning putting weight on the opposite side. It is counter-intuitive, however it was the final piece of the puzzle for getting an incredible wave on my OBV.

We routinely do the following:

750 - surf side locker
400 - front/middle G3 sac
400 - on top of the front/middle G3 sac
400 - on the surf side seat
300 - non-surf side locker
[2250lbs total]

(Also have about 360lbs worth of "people weight" sitting on the surf side gunwale and surf side locker sun deck)

I do find it surprising that with the behemoth XLV you still use 3000lbs.

When I surf goofy side I use 3,400lbs of just ballast plus 2-3 people. Big boat, needs big weight to displace the hull

aaroncat
08-07-2010, 05:50 PM
When I surf goofy side I use 3,400lbs of just ballast plus 2-3 people. Big boat, needs big weight to displace the hull

Ah right, makes sense :)

cbboarder
08-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Whats the best way to fill and empty your "loose" sacs? If there is one.

you da man
08-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Whats the best way to fill and empty your "loose" sacs? If there is one.

Tsunami 1200

aaroncat
08-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Tsunami 1200

http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-tsunami-pump.html

MEDIC151
08-11-2010, 10:46 AM
I have had up to 15 people in the boat and all ballasts full plus the weight of a 110 quart cooler. I move the people according to the side that the surfer prefers. I also adjust the wake plate to try to extend the wake, but it still has the close pocket.

Granted, the wave is huge, just not long enough to surf further away. I hate when I have that many people in the boat since the majority of them are unaware of weight distribution until I just start telling them to unass a seat and move. I'll keep trying different combo's and let ya'll know how it goes.

And yes, I know that I was way over weight rating but there you have it, LOL.