PDA

View Full Version : Tube Recommendation

deerfield
08-02-2010, 07:44 PM
In your experience, what tube stands up to hard use and lasts several seasons? My boys are 180 lbs, 200 lbs., and 240 lbs. This season we have gone through two tubes. I patched one, but it did not last. The West Marine sale flier arrived today so got me thinking now is the time to buy replacements. We like the flat kind on which you lie down. Definitely don't like the donut type. If there are other styles, we have not tried them. Recommendations for a well-made, long-lasting tube appreciated. If you can recommend a retail source, that would be helpful, too. We live in the Chicago area. Thanks.

newyear14
08-02-2010, 08:01 PM
We have a Connelly Swept wing. Its a 1 person tube but my son and a friend usually rides it together (about 250 lbs total!). It is 3 years old now. I am looking at the 2 rider tube Interceptor by Connelly also. My wife found it at Boatersoutlet.com for $150.

zabooda
08-02-2010, 08:02 PM
Go to Costco in the spring and get theres. If your not satisfied for any reason for the life of it then you can return it. They had the three person tube for a good price but they also sell out fast.

skiyaker
08-02-2010, 08:13 PM
It looks like overtons still has the 4 person "team slalom" for sale for $179; I got one when our local reservoir instated the "you can tube but not wakeboard" rule- figured if they harassed me about boarding I would just bust that dude out. This is not your average tube- let's just say it's the only "tube" that takes some degree of effort/?skill whatever you call it to get up on but once you get up you can control it... sort of. i've laughed very hard each time I've tried to use it or watch somebody else use it.

loudsubz
08-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Costco!!!

Our local costco is clearing them out for the season now:

Nautica 2 person tube is $49
http://hombasics.com/images/NS-100.jpeg

Nautica 1 person batwing style for $29
http://images.wishabi.ca/items/877325/1243474736/877325_155_155.jpg

Can't beat the prices, and when they break at the end of summer take them back, thats what we did with a banana boat we bought a few years back. Even a year later and no receipt they took it back because it developed a hole that was unable to be patched and stay patched.

I don't think any brand is better than others, it matters how rough you are with the tubes. We had 3 of these going this weekend and already one is developing a slight leak, but we have a 275lb guy, and 2 180 lb guys all playing "tube wars" so theres no laying back and relaxing when we go out.

Razzman
08-02-2010, 10:20 PM
I just returned the HO GT-3 back to Costco yesterday, it let go internally and shot my daughter off of it like a cork! Best faceplant / butt scoot i ever saw!

Don't buy that one as it won't last, a season is about the best you'll get outta it and i'm easy on tubes, three of them in three years it's been!

jmvotto
08-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Obrien tubes have always served us well, year after year....since i was a younging..lol

wolfeman131
08-02-2010, 10:53 PM
I'll second on the O'Brien tubes and say to stay away from the Bass Pro XPS brand.

sandm
08-03-2010, 06:43 AM
had an obrien screamer and it seemed to be real well made. only sold it as we all got tired of the lay down kind. too hard on the arms and body.

thesack
08-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Take a look at the HO Sports Molecule and the Aquaglide Nitro 3. Its hard to flip the Molecule, but you can still throw people off of it fairly easily and make them fall under one of the balls. The Nitro 3 is good for getting people to do supermans off of. Some good laughs for people on the boat with either tube. I haven't had any problems with either one and i've had them for 3 years.

Here are links to both. I got mine from Active Water Sports, but they are not on there website but Overton's has them.

Molecule
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=15346&pdesc=HO_Sports_Sphere_Series_3_Person_Molecule_To wable&aID=600G4&merchID=4006

Nitro 3
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=13494&pdesc=Aquaglide_Nitro_3_Towable&aID=600G4&merchID=4006

JesseC
08-03-2010, 01:47 PM
O'Brien Super Screamer here. I have had that thing for close to 5 years and it is still going strong. I use it for tubing as well as wedging it between the boat and the dock during loading and unloading and it is still going strong. It is about 20 shades lighter than it used to be, but we were using it this weekend on a super windy day!!!

Got ours at the end of the summer at a local sports store for $99

brain_rinse
08-03-2010, 01:53 PM
O'Brien Super Screamer here. I have had that thing for close to 5 years and it is still going strong. I use it for tubing as well as wedging it between the boat and the dock during loading and unloading and it is still going strong. It is about 20 shades lighter than it used to be, but we were using it this weekend on a super windy day!!!

Got ours at the end of the summer at a local sports store for $99
I have the one person screamer and it's great too.

Ian Brantford
08-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Sportsstuff has pretty much everything possible, including steerable tubes.

http://www.sportsstuff.com/

moombabound
08-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Though only second season of use, my kids really like the Connelly Interceptor taperred deck double tube. Great control for single rider; big enough for double. They've been on many tubes of other folks, and have complained about painful grips, etc, etc. No complaints on this one.
It also requires a fair bit of work for the tubers, hence, less work for the driver.
Also, for durability, check the LA Ski brand. Eight reliable years on the Double Trouble until human caused puncture.
You've got some pretty big riders; be careful on the sizing...you'll need to go on the big side.

Ian Brantford
08-03-2010, 07:30 PM
If you buy an inflateable that isn't steerable and has an inflated center, avoid ones that have any ribbing on the bottom. This can cause the tube to track too well and be hard to swing outside the wake.

smokedog2
08-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Sportstuff has replaced a couple bladders for me at reduced prices after a couple years of use, half pipe (taco to the kids and the couch (chariot - 2 person).

I use the spring clamps with the glue and patch, let sit a week and have never had a patch fail.

Ditto OBrians last forever.

tlatoani
08-05-2010, 10:19 AM
If you buy an inflateable that isn't steerable and has an inflated center, avoid ones that have any ribbing on the bottom. This can cause the tube to track too well and be hard to swing outside the wake.

Go faster :D

We have a Connely 3 person that has held up to abuse for many years.

tarheelskier
08-05-2010, 10:27 AM
I'll second Sportstuff. HAve had Big Mable (couch type) for 3 seasons and it is no worse for wear. I have smaller kids, but we have put many miles on that thing!

Lake Bound
08-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Love the Costco tube but as said above they don't last. I will be taking mine back as well as it has aquired a leak at one of the welded seams. Fun tube but the quality isn't there.

deerfield
08-10-2010, 11:56 AM
In my search for a new tube (not yet bought a replacement) several people told me that they never let the air out. Once the tube has been inflated, its stays that way, even during the off season. And their tubes are still going strong after several years of use. I, on the other hand, being anal about everything, deflate and store the tubes after each and every use, then inflate next time out on the water. I just may need to lighten up and leave the tubes inflated. I guess there's something to be said for being messy. Mom always told me a clean desk was a sign of a sick mind.

rc5695
08-10-2010, 12:16 PM
I always leave mine inflated, except maybe for the off-season. Depends where I end up storing them.

Brands: I just retired my O'brien tube from the '90s! It has seen many adults pushing 6' of air! The newer one I have sucks comparatively, but it still seems to be holding up after quite a few years of abuse as well. Sucks due to smaller diameter = harder for adults to ride, and the handles are too close together...

We're looking at a Gladiator next. Seem to hold up quite well. The 3 person one is what we're looking at, that you kinda sit down in. Overtons has them. We had 10 kids on my friend's, at one time! we didn't pull it hard with that many on it, obviously, but did with just some older kids.

I've riden a Big Mable, and it seemed very well built too. Wasn't mine, so I don't know how old it was, but there were a bunch of us on it!

walb0244
08-11-2010, 12:18 AM
Sportsstuff has pretty much everything possible, including steerable tubes.

http://www.sportsstuff.com/

I enjoy the sportssuff tube that we got. Purchased a Chariot Warbird 2 little over 2 years ago. It has had easily 500lbs on it plenty of times and flipped people off of it many times. Had 8 feet of air under it plenty of times. They replaced my bladder on it when we first got it. But that was because we didn't have it inflated properly. The doables are really cool. Rode a LULU recently. You really need to be skill savy to be able to ride that tube. I was only able to ride the tube about 20 minutes and kept getting thrown off.

deerfield
08-24-2010, 10:35 PM
This evening I bought two Obrien Super Screamers. This model is rated for maximum of two people w/ combined weight of not more than 340 pounds. My guys are pretty big so won't be able to share with another person on the same tube unless its a small person. The tubes are red and black which matches our Outback. They are on sale at Dick's sporting goods. Paid $75. Retail was $180. Appreciate all the suggestions, guys. Thanks!

brain_rinse
08-24-2010, 10:39 PM
Those are going to be awesome... enjoy the tube wars!

KT Mobius
08-26-2010, 05:52 PM
We've had our Mombo tube for 5 summers now and no issues. I've pulled a friend who weighs at least 275 and no leaks or tarring, the kids also use it as a raft and take it to shore. I think I paid around 200 dollars at GI Joes when they were in business, but I think you can find it at Overtons now. Great tube!!!!

badasshybrid
08-26-2010, 07:01 PM
This is the one I have. It is very very sturdy. Only had a small seam leak in one of the seats, fixed it with super glue and no other problems.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/411utEmIYyL._SS500_.jpg