PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Moomba LSV

ncarrera
08-02-2010, 11:45 AM
So what do you think....

ncarrera
08-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Yeah, but this is a new running shot. I can add it to the other thread.

kaneboats
08-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Looks good. We've missed you around here Natalie!

you da man
08-02-2010, 12:17 PM
I like everything but the bimini...it looks too small and looks like the passengers benefit from it more. If I'm making the payments...I want the shade

kaneboats
08-02-2010, 12:31 PM
You're right. Not sure if it's the photo angle or what but it looks like the rear bow of the bimini top sits too high. You never know-- they may have it on backwards or something.

sandm
08-02-2010, 01:06 PM
my .02-

lose the dripping graphics on the nose. rest looks real good..
bimini looks loose/flappy and I agree on the rope in the way..
better mirror option. looks like a tacky add-on..

otherwise an awesome looking machine. real hard to tell it from a bu..

skiers did a nice job offering up another alternative for their products.

moombadaze
08-02-2010, 01:06 PM
So what do you think....

theres a boat in that photo :D

Love the boat-the colors, the graphics and the tower is growing on me

brad460
08-02-2010, 01:08 PM
So what do you think....

Love it! Can you get me an employee discount?! :D

skiyaker
08-02-2010, 01:11 PM
that boat looks great. I love the graphics. At the Indy boat show last year my neighbor (who is a recent supra owner) and I looked at all the inboards and decided that supra/moomba had the best looking occupants in the brochures- glad to see this hasn't changed.

Razzman
08-02-2010, 02:40 PM
My two cents on the 2011 LSV?

That tower design is super strong and rattle free from my experiences but it still doesn't address the two main issues i have with it. The mirror on the windshield and blocking the bench seat passengers view and dockside boarding on the LSV. The base takes up too much real estate for my liking.

Drip graphics went out long ago and I was never a fan of them anyway.

No swivel drivers seat yet? C'mon guys it's not that big of a deal to add that (cost me about $25 to do my own) and a decent drivers seat! It looks to me like you went backwards on the seat! My '07 LSV seat looks better than that one.

And here's another one i don't get ... no finger pulls or straps for the rear lockers? I added my own straps and it makes opening those rear lockers 100% easier! In real hot sun the vinyl swells and as the tolerance between the vinyl is already zero it makes it a real $#@#! to open them.

I'm just saying ... Oh yea still like the boat though :D

MartinCaron
08-02-2010, 02:56 PM
question about that pylon above the bimini...

wouldn't a tight rope rub the back of the bimini to shreds?

A surf rope definetly would...

ausbill32
08-02-2010, 06:18 PM
- Those seats look like they have more padding then my 2007 (I would like more padding)
- I agree, a rope on the tower will probably rub on the bimini
- I agree, the bimini does not provide enough shade for driver
- I like those new graphics
- I like the tower but it looks like it'll be in the way when I climb in (it needs to be more forward or something)
- Windows look a little different from my 2007 - I like the new windows
- I don't like the mirror on the window so I guess I'd never buy that style of tower although, it looks cool

squeeg333
08-02-2010, 06:27 PM
I didn't see a boat either... interesting.

I dig the boat, and the graphics. I like these graphics a lot better than the ones that have flames on them. The chrome Moomba always looks sharp, and I agree, that tower is growing on me. I'd still opt for the old school one that we all have, but that's just me.

As long as your ~8 feet off of the water at all times, I don't think you'd have a problem with the rope rubbing that rear bimini!

newyear14
08-02-2010, 07:18 PM
I like the boat, the graphics and the tower. The black and blue combination looks realy sharp. The bimini could be bigger.
As for the mirror, I'm fairly certain that Samson makes a mirror for the original Malibu illusion tower that may work for this.

spyder
08-03-2010, 12:30 AM
don't like the window mounted mirror... lame...

ssmith
08-03-2010, 02:01 PM
I like the blue/black color combo with the graphics. Looks way better that the red one that Ed posted earlier.

I installed the monster cargo bimini on my boat a few weeks ago and love it. I can't imagine not having a cargo bimini now. It doesn't look like a cargo bimini would work on these....anyone know?

wolfeman131
08-03-2010, 04:56 PM
the rope doesn't hit the bimini whether you're surfing or boarding

If it's not set correctly, it can rub on this bimini. My neighbor's 247 has this tower & bimini and I have seen where the bimini is worn down to the frame. He is planning to patch it this offseason.

08-03-2010, 11:39 PM
Does anyone find it weird that Moomba is using the EXACT same tower as the older Malibus? I like the tower, and I always thought that they looked good and if money was no Object, I'd probably have a bu, but it now looks like these new Moombas are just a copy of older malibu's. Who wants to spend $50k on an imitation Malibu? perhaps thats harsh, but it sure looks like it. Maybe it's just me, I don't know, it just seems like they could have done something more original.

kaneboats
08-04-2010, 09:35 AM
All boat manufacturers copy each other. The trick is to keep trying to improve a good idea. This tower is better than the older one. Who the heck gets in their boat from the side anyway? We all climb in from the bow or the platform. I suppose if you park at a dock all the time or on a lift that might not be the case though.

Razzman
08-04-2010, 10:16 AM
It's not the exact same tower. According to XTP is's new and improved, just looks the same. Whatever.

Metcraft made the tower for Malibu, Malibu went with a new design and released their interest in the design, Metcraft sold it to XTP, XTP improved on it. Or something of this nature as i understand it.

I don't find it weird at all they're using it, it's a very good design, no rattles and very easy to fold. Think about, all mfgrs copied each other in some form with regular towers so what's the diff? Who cares? Why would anyone care?

smokedog2
08-04-2010, 09:54 PM
The bimini will not survive a trip to Norris. The mirror needs a tower to really hold it in place. I like the mirror high ont he tower.

I woudl not be an easy sell -- I like my roll bar.

brain_rinse
08-05-2010, 10:48 AM
After seeing the 2011 MasterCraft and Nautique towers I think the timing is PERFECT. This tower looks great, and while it may be several years old in terms of style, it's so much better looking than the current competition. My guess is that it will sell like crazy.

For me, no Z5 option is a deal breaker.

zegm
08-05-2010, 02:46 PM
I guess it is the mechanical engineer in me that loves the existing tower. It looks like it was designed for function first but ended up being one of the prettiest towers I have ever seen. Again this is subjective and without having any FEA results I cannot say which is a better design. With that being said it appears (and I could be wrong) that beauty over function has won out here. I really don't like the new tower, one of the things I don't like about all the other manufacturers was their tower styling. I like function over form but if you end up with an elegant design you win on both accounts. The old tower did have the load distributed over 4 different attachment points that were separated by a large distance on the hull. I would have to think that with just two mounting points, with a small footprint for both, that the hull had to be strenghtened up greatly in that area, did this add additional weight? I don't believe it can be as functionally as strong and better load distributing as the old tower attachment. And as far as that area goes, I agree with outers, we had a tower tucked away neatly near the windsheild out of the way for getting in and out of the boat. Now we have a tower limiting easy entry.
While it looks Cool Aero Stylish, I vote..............Don't be a follower and stick to what works! I get so many compliments on my boat now, I don't care to to be Swoopy!

PS One of the greatest options is the Z5, will it work here, my guess is that if they do get it to work it will look out of place due to the fact that it is round tubing. It matches the existing design but might look dorky in this application.

deerfield
08-05-2010, 10:57 PM
The old tower did have the load distributed over 4 different attachment points that were separated by a large distance on the hull.

Four? My Outback factory tower has six attachment points. And I really do prefer the "old tower" over the new design. In addition to its attractive form and sturdy engineering, the old tower does not block my line of site and provides a handy place for hanging gloves and life jackets to dry between use.

zegm
08-05-2010, 11:09 PM
Four? My Outback factory tower has six attachment points. And I really do prefer the "old tower" over the new design. In addition to its attractive form and sturdy engineering, the old tower does not block my line of site and provides a handy place for hanging gloves and life jackets to dry between use.

If it wasn't dark out I would run down to the dock and take a picture to show you where my wife puts all the life jackets after a hard day on the lake!!! ;) And this is the only time it blocks our line of site!
Yeah 6 attachment points is even better for sharing the load!
What are they thinking! You know Porsche tried to kill the 911 (aircooled engine had trouble with EPA regs) with the 928. And what happened, the 928 got called the Doctors car, no real Porsche owner bought one and it is now gone rest in peace! That simple classic design (911) that came out in the early 60's is still going strong today!
Now there are 2 types of boat owners on our lake, the F-22/F-15 pilots that I know that have Moombas, another engineer I know with a Moomba Outback and of course our LS. All the other brand skiboats are owned by Doctors and Dentist! I know this because I am good friends with the guy that works on them all. Doctors cars, doctors boats!

brenpire
10-06-2010, 05:14 PM
Has the Hull been redesigned on the LSV for 2011? The 2011 LSV shows 2 centre fins not 3 as before.

viking
10-06-2010, 06:15 PM
If it wasn't dark out I would run down to the dock and take a picture to show you where my wife puts all the life jackets after a hard day on the lake!!! ;) And this is the only time it blocks our line of site!
Yeah 6 attachment points is even better for sharing the load!
What are they thinking! You know Porsche tried to kill the 911 (aircooled engine had trouble with EPA regs) with the 928. And what happened, the 928 got called the Doctors car, no real Porsche owner bought one and it is now gone rest in peace! That simple classic design (911) that came out in the early 60's is still going strong today!
Now there are 2 types of boat owners on our lake, the F-22/F-15 pilots that I know that have Moombas, another engineer I know with a Moomba Outback and of course our LS. All the other brand skiboats are owned by Doctors and Dentist! I know this because I am good friends with the guy that works on them all. Doctors cars, doctors boats!

That's funny! I've found that the knowledge one has is not necessarily predicated by the size of their paycheck. In fact, a lot of times the more one makes the less they know about MONEY and the inverse ratio seems to grow exponentially. Go figure that one!

Probably not where you were going with your post but brought that thought o mind :)

SC_LSV
10-07-2010, 09:56 AM
I R engineer and own a moomba aswell. In my opinion its a great quality boat. I've been around epic's, nautiques and bu's. Yea they have the bells and whistles, but who needs that stuff? You can add it for cheaper than they will charge you. Guys I know with epic and bu's all had too much money and never learned anything about there boats and end up destroying then and paying big bucks to get them fixed. Moombas are a working man's(person's to be PC) boat. All the functionality you need without all the extra costs. Just my 2 cents.

Also didnt that tower with mastercraft and malibu have alot of problems with stress cracking in the paint and chipping? Heard of some malibu's with that chipping in the first summer. Hope XTP didn't something about that.

jamie_abb
10-07-2010, 12:39 PM
That's funny! I've found that the knowledge one has is not necessarily predicated by the size of their paycheck. In fact, a lot of times the more one makes the less they know about MONEY and the inverse ratio seems to grow exponentially. Go figure that one!

Probably not where you were going with your post but brought that thought o mind :)

There's the Dentist Investment Rule - Never invest in anything if Dentists are agressively pursuing it. Dentists do okay $$ wise and as a result they are agressively marketed due by stockbrokers, arrangers, investors seekers and CON MEN. A lot of them get burned at least once by only looking at the returns and not risk.

Could be the same in boats and cars.

Canuckle Head
10-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Do you know why there is such a high suicide rate among Dentists? It's because they are always looking down in the mouth! :D

As told to me by my old highschool German teacher. Bad joke eh?

zegm
10-07-2010, 02:01 PM

No I agree with you. Sometimes the smarter you get the less common sense you have. Fighter pilots are smart but they must also have a lot of common sense or they don't make it as pilots. I have a friend who is a ENT doctor. He is Very smart but is almost stupid when it comes to common sense. To sum it up it takes common sense to see you can spend less to get the same thing.
OR maybe the Name MasterCraft is on the approved Doctors purchase list? you know like Mercedes. Why would you want a Mercedes when you could have a BMW. Does the same thing only much faster!!! :)

zegm
10-08-2010, 09:39 PM
viking,

I apologize that apparently the discussion between you and I has caused someone reading what we are posting to get bored. I just wish one could use this board without having to worry that someone is always following behind your every post. (why?)

moombadaze
10-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Oops, sorry to interupt...

guess I had a computer burp. Didn't realize that was posted twice.

I was having a party and about a dozen super hereos showed up. Kinda distracted me.

Ever have a party where the Terminator, Spider Man, Captain America, Hercules, the Cyclops and a bunch of other save the world people show up?

I know it sounds strange, but it's true.

Even some guy with big knives on each finger.

Carry on.

funny in that knowing what you brother in law does I could see you haveing all the super hero's showing up

viking
10-10-2010, 09:31 PM
Oops, sorry to interupt...

guess I had a computer burp. Didn't realize that was posted twice.

I was having a party and about a dozen super hereos showed up. Kinda distracted me.

Ever have a party where the Terminator, Spider Man, Captain America, Hercules, the Cyclops and a bunch of other save the world people show up?

I know it sounds strange, but it's true.

Even some guy with big knives on each finger.

Carry on.

Hmmmmm.............was so interested in your last 2 posts I was hoping you'd post it a 3rd time! JK

ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz..........bored - As in who cares :)