PDA

View Full Version : gelcoat cracks

edthesock
08-20-2004, 11:04 PM
I have an 03 outback that I purchased new in Jan 04 with full 3 year warranty. I noticed it has a six legged spider crack at the bottom of the hull on the driver side of the hull about 3 inches in diameter, I am worried about the area of this crack because the trailer bunk will rub across it while loading on trailer. I have never had any mishaps loading or unloading the boat so Ido not understand where they came from.any advice would be appreciated. Also I would like to hear from someone who has had gelcoat repairs to hear how they turn out, does it blend in well with the existing gelcoat when it is sprayed on over top as opposed to being sprayed into the mould as it is during original construction.

Yellowmobius
08-21-2004, 01:27 PM
Get it warranteed. A good glass shop can fix them so they will last and blend perfectly. I think the gel-coat blend is much easier than a paint blend on a car for instance.

I have had a few cracks repaired, the one spot that has come back is around the tower foot. I have a 2001 Mobius, Iwas ona 2004 Outback and I noticed it had soem kind of rubber between the tower foot and the boats gel coat. I am going to get a set of these.

Keaton
09-09-2004, 03:52 PM
Iv had about 5 gelcoat cracks repair. You can't even tell after the repair it done. I have a red boat so its an easy color to match. Im pleased with my repairs.

Moomba99
09-12-2004, 11:55 PM
I have a 99 mobius and have had several cracks in the gelcoat. Every one are in a structural (fatigue point). I would do my damnest tp get it covered under warranty. The only problem is if you have any cracks around the rad-a-cage. Skiers Choice will not warranty any gel coat related issues around these areas. I have gone round and round with them for a few problems and this is an area they will not budge on. As far as the quality.....It all depends on where you have the work done. The gel-coat will never look exactly the same as when it came out of the mold. Skiers Choice uses a "hand laid" technique of making their boats. Which means they take their mold, apply a soap solution or "release agent" then apply a coat of resin in which the fibers can adhere to. Then they "shoot" a stream of chopped fiberglass and resin mix to the mold allowing it to build up to within a specified thickness. Then it is rolled with little rollers squeezing all the air pockets out of the fiberglass. This is allowed to cure for a specific amount of time then it is removed form the mold...End of story. The opposite way of manufactuing fiberglass is "injection moulding" Where you take two molds (one of the inside of the part and one of the outside of the part), insert a "matte" of fiberglass then adhere the two identicle sides together and inject the resin, gelcoat. The down side to hand laid glass is that there is no scientific way of getting the exact amount of fibers to one spot on your boat as any other spot. One small area on your boat may have a 1/4 inch of glass whereas the same identicle spot on the other side may only have 1/8 of an inch of glass thus comprimising the structural integrity. To get back to the issue of gel coat repairs.... To properly fix the crack you must first grind into the crack so the gel caot has a place to reside!! next, The crack had to come from a weakness in the fiberglass!!!! Very important.. You cannot just fill the crack with resin and the problem is solved. You have just hidden the problem. the fiberglass has to be reinforced from the inside with more glass. If you just fill the crack with more resin, The resin has nothing structual, ie: more glass, to adhere to thus causing a repeat of the same crack. Most shops can get a batch of the factory resin to fill the crack. The appearance of the fix may or may not be noticeable depending on how well they buff out the sand marks after finishing. So, not to keep rambling on, But you can get a great repair out of your boat as long as you ask the right questions and make sure the job is done right the first time or your boat may be sitting in the shop during some peak ski time!!

Moomba99
09-12-2004, 11:56 PM
I have a 99 mobius and have had several cracks in the gelcoat. Every one are in a structural (fatigue point). I would do my damnest tp get it covered under warranty. The only problem is if you have any cracks around the rad-a-cage. Skiers Choice will not warranty any gel coat related issues around these areas. I have gone round and round with them for a few problems and this is an area they will not budge on. As far as the quality.....It all depends on where you have the work done. The gel-coat will never look exactly the same as when it came out of the mold. Skiers Choice uses a "hand laid" technique of making their boats. Which means they take their mold, apply a soap solution or "release agent" then apply a coat of resin in which the fibers can adhere to. Then they "shoot" a stream of chopped fiberglass and resin mix to the mold allowing it to build up to within a specified thickness. Then it is rolled with little rollers squeezing all the air pockets out of the fiberglass. This is allowed to cure for a specific amount of time then it is removed form the mold...End of story. The opposite way of manufactuing fiberglass is "injection moulding" Where you take two molds (one of the inside of the part and one of the outside of the part), insert a "matte" of fiberglass then adhere the two identicle sides together and inject the resin, gelcoat. The down side to hand laid glass is that there is no scientific way of getting the exact amount of fibers to one spot on your boat as any other spot. One small area on your boat may have a 1/4 inch of glass whereas the same identicle spot on the other side may only have 1/8 of an inch of glass thus comprimising the structural integrity. To get back to the issue of gel coat repairs.... To properly fix the crack you must first grind into the crack so the gel caot has a place to reside!! next, The crack had to come from a weakness in the fiberglass!!!! Very important.. You cannot just fill the crack with resin and the problem is solved. You have just hidden the problem. the fiberglass has to be reinforced from the inside with more glass. If you just fill the crack with more resin, The resin has nothing structual, ie: more glass, to adhere to thus causing a repeat of the same crack. Most shops can get a batch of the factory resin to fill the crack. The appearance of the fix may or may not be noticeable depending on how well they buff out the sand marks after finishing. So, not to keep rambling on, But you can get a great repair out of your boat as long as you ask the right questions and make sure the job is done right the first time or your boat may be sitting in the shop during some peak ski time!!