PDA

View Full Version : Ski locker ballast - method for keeping it down?

The Squeaky Wheel
07-31-2010, 10:33 AM
Is there any reliable way - aside from underfiilling the center ski locker ballast on a gravity 3 system in a '07 Outback V - to keep the ski locker from popping up when the bag is full?

you da man
07-31-2010, 11:04 AM
Is the bag vented? If not, there's a good chance it's popping up due to air trapped.

squeeg333
07-31-2010, 11:07 AM
I haven't really found a good method yet. True, it will capture a slight amount of air, but if you burp it about halfway thru filling, you'll be sure to get the most water you can in it before the door starts to go up. Unfortunately they didn't size the ski locker to the bag, or vise versa, so I don't think there is any way to get it 100% full as you can the rear bags.

I typically try to just fill it until that pull tab starts to pop up, and then call that "done" You could put a cooler, or something of weight on top of the door, and you should be able to get slightly more water in there, but not much. It's a bummer, for sure!

The Squeaky Wheel
07-31-2010, 11:13 AM
Thanks guys....

vented? I don't know...how can I tell?

I'm new to this stuff, so please bear with me :)

you da man
07-31-2010, 11:27 AM
Thanks guys....

vented? I don't know...how can I tell?

I'm new to this stuff, so please bear with me :)

If it's vented you'll know. It will have 3 lines, a fill line, drain line, and a vent line on top of the bag. However, the 09 and up stock system uses reversible pumps and should only need a fill/drain line and the vent line on top

The Squeaky Wheel
07-31-2010, 11:28 AM
I'll check. It's a stock gravity 3 from '07.

If it's not vented, how can I manually vent it?

you da man
07-31-2010, 11:46 AM
I'll check. It's a stock gravity 3 from '07.

If it's not vented, how can I manually vent it?

If the bag has 3 ports for fittings, you just need to add a line with a quick release fitting to the top port and then vent it through the hull with a thru hull fitting. I believe you can also tie the vent line into the drain line near the drain line's thru hull fitting with a "Y" connector and a check valve

gus 08 mobius lsv
07-31-2010, 02:24 PM
your bag is probably like mine not vented but it has a screw in cap in the very front of the bag but this is pointless cause as it fills with water you can't reach it or pull the bag out burp the air so your kinda stuck with it. i always open that door so i don't over fill cause the pull tab on the ski locker could possibly poke thru your bag so maybe just try that. i agree i don't think you'll get it completely full cause the bag is a little too big for the size compartment.

newty
07-31-2010, 07:36 PM
Put a check valve on the line just prior to the through hull/vent. Burp it once and your done. There shouldn't be much more air in there any more.

jmvotto
07-31-2010, 09:15 PM
I fill mine until it spits thru the drain line. i assume all air is gone at that point. then empty it slighlty as not to punchure the bag. the stock bags come with fill and drain lines only.

kaneboats
08-02-2010, 10:54 AM
That's my method too. Every now and then I'll fill a third or so and try to burp it though.