PDA

View Full Version : My first horrible moomba dealer experience

davinci
07-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Hi gang,first off as most of you know i bought a 2006 xlv project boat from las vegas, very smooth transaction then had it delivered by a company out of kentucky (don't remember the name) another great bunch of people. I then started my search for an engine...found one in california by an awesome guy called John Crabb from performance fiberglass, who by the way specializes in gel coats, not too far in Corona California I found a bimini top and swim platform That stuff is also on the way. My search for an OEM tower then began about a week and a half ago, I called every dealer in Canada first no luck there BTW from the time I order it from a canadian dealer, to the time i get it the cost would be $5700.00 versus $3300.00 with an american company.So i began calling u.s dealers I almost had one in vegas but the manager there didn't know it had already been sold by another salesman another nice fellow by the name of Chris Leaver from Boulder Boats. Now here comes Texas, Bare in mind that i truly love Americans always have (not very fond of Romo) LOL (I'm A die hard New England fan) anyhow I called South Austin Marine this morning, sweet receptionist answered and I kindly asked to be directed to the parts dept. A guy named David answered and immediately told me he did not have time to speak with me and for me to call back in one hour NP i called back in two hours another fellow answers still no time for me, took my phone number and said someone would call me back in one hour...never got a call so I called back, this time on hold for a ghost the fourth time same as third. Finally the fifth time I call back This David guy picks up, I explain that i'm looking for a tower for my boat and these were his exact words "did you buy the boat from us? (I answered no) then go buy your tower somewhere else and hung up the phone without even saying goodbye, what an arrogant SOB #@*!.
I'm not sure if that's the way it's done in TEXAS cause i'm surely not used to that.

Kidder
07-29-2010, 10:25 PM
I would call back and talk to the manager. And, I'd let Skier's Choice know about this behavior. That's definitely not how my dealer treats me. Try calling Waterski Boats Dallas. http://www.waterskiboatsdallas.com/

davinci
07-30-2010, 01:11 AM
dose'nt skiers choice read these forums ???

jmvotto
07-30-2010, 08:07 AM
Try skyler at silverlake marine in western ny, probably does not have the inventory but will help you out. Tell him Joe V. sent ya.

www.silverlakemarine.com

gus 08 mobius lsv
07-30-2010, 08:10 AM
oh i agree esp in this economy to treat someone like that is crazy. that dumbass will be crying the blues when he is let go or company goes under!

people move to different states and sometimes you find a deal somewhere else you just can't turn down why should you be punished for that! treat someone right and they will remember that and keep spending money at your place.

davinci
07-30-2010, 09:31 AM
Thanks Joe ! I called skyler real nice guy but a little too expensive.

kaneboats
07-30-2010, 09:43 AM
Did you try checking with Cody at XTP? Just send a PM to "iwakeboard". I'm sure he can help or point you in the right direction.

supraboard
07-30-2010, 10:04 AM
davinci-
My name is Hunter and I work at South Austin Marine, your issue with our parts department was the subject of a meeting this morning and David apologizes for the way he ended the last conversation. He had been very busy that day with us missing a guy in parts and several customers waiting on at the counter to be helped. He understands that a different approach should have been taken. Usually when there are several parts needed and we are going to have to do some research the best approach would be to email us with your serial number of the boat and necessary parts. This way we can address them when we don't have a line of customers at the counter. We run one of the largest parts houses in the Central Texas area and have a great deal of customers every day. So if you would still like us to assist you please feel free to send that info to [email protected], otherwise we understand if you took your business elsewhere.

kaneboats
07-30-2010, 10:09 AM
Hunter, thanks for taking the time to respond and address the concerns of one of our fellow board members on here. Please spread the word to the dealer employees that we all try to treat each other with class and understanding. Even if it is against their nature it still makes good business sense to do the same.

davinci
07-30-2010, 10:17 AM
Hey supraboard....is that some kind of damage control, there is absolutely no excuse for what he did. Also I am very much hoping that many people get wind of this so that your so called biggest Texas parts dept. won't be so big anymore. Maybe then you guys will start treating people like people.

jmvotto
07-30-2010, 10:32 AM
davinci, i came across this site may give them a try if your looking for OEM or OEM patterned towers.

sorry silver lake was not able to help, they usually get me my stuff but then again i am not rebuilding a boat and I may not be as price sensitve on my small stuff upgrades

http://www.newdimensiontowers.com/boat_towers.html

davinci
07-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Hi Joe ..they are the first ones I tried Ian Brown there e-mailed me back very quick but unfortunetly they don't have my pattern yet. Thanks Joe you are very helpful (unlike some people i've dealt with this week:D)

kaneboats
07-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Hey supraboard....is that some kind of damage control, there is absolutely no excuse for what he did. Also I am very much hoping that many people get wind of this so that your so called biggest Texas parts dept. won't be so big anymore. Maybe then you guys will start treating people like people.

Hmmm. Looks like they held a meeting, admonished the rogue employee, offered an apology and assistance going forward. While the conduct was not appropriate or acceptable it was dealt with appropriately. It is not a very gentlemanly thing to do -- when the olive branch is extended -- to knock it out of the hand. Please reconsider your position.

Razzman
07-30-2010, 01:59 PM
X2 on that Kane.

davinci while you may have had a bad experience in this instance with one person it certainly doesn't mean that is the norm and definately does no good to admonish them after an apology has been given publicly.

Everyone has bad days and you just happened to hit David on his it sounds like. Lighten up a bit there.

Canuckle Head
07-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Why do you want an OEM tower anyway when there are a tone of other towers out there to choose from? Monstertower, Airboom, Roswell to name a few. :confused:

Kidder
07-30-2010, 02:39 PM
X2 on that Kane.

davinci while you may have had a bad experience in this instance with one person it certainly doesn't mean that is the norm and definately does no good to admonish them after an apology has been given publicly.

Everyone has bad days and you just happened to hit David on his it sounds like. Lighten up a bit there.

+1

The fact that they registered and the very first post was an apology tells me that they are definitely concerned about customer service.

davinci
07-30-2010, 03:11 PM
Wow tables have turned...i'm officially the bad guy here Ed the reason i asked if skiers choice reads the forums is because kidder sujested i complain to them so i figured no need to complain when i'm sure they read the forums. The reason I want an OEM tower is because all the holes are already there and surely don't want to drill more holes/repair fiberglass/gelcoat. Also Ed I didn't know the 06 wasn't important anymore my appologies. The dealer gave me a public apology because aI gave him a public problem, when in fact they do have my phone number and as a manager or owner (29 year business owner myself) I would have had my employee personaly call the customer direct and apologize.Kane I didn't knock the olive branch away i simply told him that "He wanted to dance , now pay the orchestra" and last Hunter I'm sorry if I came on too harsh with you. I can chew everything david said ..but I cannot swallow the hanging up part, it's unheard of where i come from.

davinci
07-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Ed maybe you didn't hear me right, I never had intentions of involving Skiers Choice Kidder only sujested i complain to them...that's all. I already called Cody at XTP this morning and left him a message, i'm waiting for his call back, hope he can help me out.

davinci
07-30-2010, 03:36 PM
:D:D Lol No Ed it's fine i'll wait for his call...Thanks though!!

Kidder
07-30-2010, 03:39 PM
davinci,

You're the not bad guy. I know you feel a bit put off by that dealer in Austin. I can't blame you. But, they did post publicly that they have began to address the situation. I wouldn't blame you if you went elsewhere.

And, like others have posted, have you considered other tower manufacturers? Good luck with the rebuild.

zabooda
07-30-2010, 03:45 PM
The dealer did more than I would expect with his message and it sounds like you could go to any dealer and pay about the same price for the OEM tower. This thread appears to be going nowhere constructive.

davinci
07-30-2010, 03:50 PM
I will close the conversation on the tower, the xlv has a span of 94" from mount to mount 98% of the aftermarket towers have a span of 70" dimension towers doen't have the xlv pattern yet, the monster tower (no disrespect) is the ugliest i've seen by far....so guys no tower fits my boat without thousand of dollars of fiberglass to fill existing holes mods and gelcoat repairs. At that point i might as well purchase the tower that slides right in for the same price and has the greatest boat resale value (OEM) There are hundreds of towers for outbacks/LS / LSV's but not the XLV.

wolfeman131
07-30-2010, 03:50 PM
This thread appears to be going nowhere constructive.

like so many others before it . . . . :p

zabooda
07-30-2010, 03:54 PM
We can talk towers that's cool. I think the dealer issue can be put to rest. There should places to find used towers as another option but it may require some web surfing.

davinci
07-30-2010, 03:55 PM
It's funny how this thread is not going anywhere but people are still hitch hiking for a ride.

davinci
07-30-2010, 03:59 PM
That's OK Ed , Razz already threw me under the bus.

Razzman
07-30-2010, 04:01 PM
That's OK Ed , Razz already threw me under the bus.

I didn't throw you under the bus, just trying to keep it from turning ugly and then turn into a slug fest against a dealer on the SC forum is all.

We all have bad days is all i was saying. Give him a chance, you never know what may happen.

davinci
07-30-2010, 04:02 PM
OH boy!! welcome Chewy

davinci
07-30-2010, 04:03 PM
Yeah Razz ...as John Lennon said...Give pizza a chance :D

davinci
07-30-2010, 04:07 PM
Napolitan my friend Napolitan

davinci
07-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Are you serious !!!

jmvotto
07-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Dang,
I went to lunch and a meeting and all he$$ broke loose;)

Now lets get Davinci some parts... parts is parts:rolleyes:

davinci
07-30-2010, 04:12 PM
Thanks Joe for pulling me out from under the bus that Razz and Ed threw me under.

jmvotto
07-30-2010, 04:13 PM
of course, we could also change the topic to farts.

What's the longest fart you ever had.

I once had a continuous fart in Publix Supermarket that lasted from the bakery all the way back to the lobsters.

poor old lady smelling the bagels had a tough walk to seafood dept.

davinci
07-30-2010, 04:14 PM
Ed my eyes are starting to burn.

Canuckle Head
07-30-2010, 04:34 PM
Note to self: "When a thread starts to go horribly wrong change the subject to farts!" :o

davinci
07-30-2010, 06:10 PM
Hey KG It dosn't look that bad under this bus, What dazzles me is that he's got one post and that post so happens to be the "apology" and yet has not returned to view the responses to his post so it's very obvious that someone told him to hurry and get on this forum to do some damage control...but it's all good :):)

WaterBullDawg1980
07-30-2010, 07:15 PM
Hey davinci, check your pm

RickT
07-31-2010, 09:47 AM
Yes Davinci we do read this threads...as often as we can. I am always alittle late to the party on these. Our apologies as well for the poor handling of your situation. South Austin Marine is one of our best customer service dealers, so I am surprised at the response you recieved. No excuse for that and they know that.

Bad day or not...it should not happen. I am pretty certain if second chances are allowed..which most of us would want, if you screwed up, that they will provide a better experience. Your call.

If we can be of support to you in any manner. Just let us know.

Sincerely,

Rick Tinker
Skier's Choice

davinci
07-31-2010, 04:23 PM
Truth be told Rick I wish that after all that maybe the manager or owner of South Austin would contact me and help me with my tower situation that i initially called them for.
Thanks for the reply it's greatly appreciated and keep up the good work you guys do.

bddawg
08-01-2010, 12:18 AM

I completely agree with your statement. Their response was lacking in many ways. Customer service is about going the extra mile and delivering more then the consumer expected. If you deliver just what the customer expected then you are not providing great customer service but just mediocre service.
Some people or companies will never learn and yes I run a company that provides a service so I know the issues they deal with.

jmvotto
08-01-2010, 07:55 AM
not to add fuel to the fire but a few years ago ( before the moomba) We have a lake house , no boat, my buddy had a boat no house , good fit.

On vacation his sirius ant. quit and i took it to the dealer he bought his four winns and talked to his service depart a warrantied product. Got lip service from the service manager and was told get back to you in a couple weeks. Called my buddy whose boat it was an told him how they treated me. Also i was in the market for a boat, (talk about burning bridges before you start). to make a long story short , i did get a direct phone call and apology from the service manager and they did a rush on the new ant. ( it was during the busy summer months as well)

Kinda bush league to send an apology to an open forum when you have the phone # of the potential client.

This is why i love my dealer who is an 1 hr away, vs the marina which is 1/2 mile away ( same problems) i won't even buy gas from those DB's.

iwakeboard
08-02-2010, 08:21 AM
Davinci,

Hey, I got your voicemail this morning, we work 4-10's so we're not in on Fridays or I would have responded then. I couldn't catch the last four digits of your phone number in the voicemail, if you could give me a call back today I'll do my best to help answer any questions you may have.

Thanks,
Cody

Edit from Moderator (Ed): Thread is now closed. All the proper people have been contacted, and the flaming posts have been deleted. End of story.