PDA

View Full Version : LSV Slalom Wake?

tarheelskier
07-28-2010, 11:30 AM
Can anyone give me some feedback on skiing behind an LSV? I know the Outback V is the best crossover choice, but am looking at a used LSV and am curious. I need something that the kids can wakeboard, and me and my wife can ski. No bouy runs, just open water stuff.

Currently skiing behind a I/O, so i know any inboard (V or DD) would be better :D

Thanks for the feedback!

offaxis82
07-28-2010, 05:05 PM
What year?

Mikey
07-28-2010, 05:42 PM
It can be done but will be very similar to skiing behind a typical I/O. The Outback V would be a better option as would going to a DD Outback for the sake of skiing.
A wake plate would help ,this situation as well to help clean up the wake ,but Vdrives typically '' make wakes''.
If skiing is your main priority this is not the best option,but is still doable. Another option if you are looking at used boats is the LS DD. Which is/was the Moomba crossover boat from days past.

tarheelskier
07-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the feedback Mikey. To clarify, what I am currently looking at is a 2004 and has the wake plate. Skiing is my #1 priority, but many other activities to think about too. While I agree that the OBV is the best option, just curious what others thought of the LSV.

Thanks!

saskie99
07-28-2010, 07:07 PM
I went from a dd malibu sunsetter to an lsv 05, what a difference in wake. As I mostly wakeboard and surf I love the vdrive, but just last weekend I took out the ski and wow was the wake terrible to ski behind. I would not recommend this boat for skiing. It felt like I was hitting a 7 inch cement curb.

skiyaker
07-28-2010, 08:00 PM
I think this partly depends on the type of skiing you like to do. Until last year my entire family skied behind my dads' bass tracker party deck 21. We loved it. You would get outside the wake, make a big pull, crank a turn and see how much spray you could make then gingerly cross the wakes and do the same thing on the other side. It was great exercise and it was all we knew. There's no shame in that.

Well last year when we looked for boats I almost bought a Tahoe I/O but went with the moomba for a multitude of reasons and next thing you know I figure out I can maintain somewhat of an edge through the wake- then a guy invites me to join the ski and now I'm running it down the slalom course. But uh oh I meet up with a guy that lets me ski behind a boomerang and then a malibu DD. and now I'm thinking it would be nice to have a dedicated slalom boat. It's a slippery slope.

Anyways, I'll bet the LSV with a wake plate will still do better than an I/O and if it suits the way you like to ski don't let any wake snob make you feel bad about it. Just for fun here's a pic of the wake behind the party deck 21 I used to ski behind!

Laz
07-28-2010, 09:21 PM
I would say that an Outback DD with tower and ballast is still a pretty good wakeboard boat. I know for my weak wakeboarding skills, the wake is plenty big enough.

Since I am fully addicted to slalom course skiing, the DD Outback is just perfect.

deerfield
07-28-2010, 10:07 PM
I would say that an Outback DD with tower and ballast is still a pretty good wakeboard boat. I know for my weak wakeboarding skills, the wake is plenty big enough.

Since I am fully addicted to slalom course skiing, the DD Outback is just perfect.

I'm 100% with Laz. Got the same boat (DD Outback) with same tower/ballast. I am die hard slalom and love it. My boys are intermmediate wakeboarders and doing just fine behind our Outback. I've seen video of guys doing W2W behind this boat.

mnpracing
07-28-2010, 10:58 PM
tarheel - the 04 and 05 LSV is the same hull as the 06 to 08 OBV's. check out www.moomba.com/archive to compare the models to make sure you don't end up with some that you thought was something else.

mbkillin
07-29-2010, 01:04 AM
here is a 32mph boomerang wake from this weekend i have also become a slalom addict lately love it plus put four ppl in the back at about 20mph its a fun begginers wakeboard boat. I actually have a bud that goes w2w behind it.

skiyaker
07-29-2010, 09:20 AM
love the boomerang-especially the way it turns on a dime- but back to the topic

If the 2004 LSV is the same hull as the 2008 ouback V then how about if I take some pics at various speeds next time I'm out for a ski- which hopefully won't be too long if this dang ankle sprain will ever heal! I've skied behind other V drives and mine is significantly better than those, but still will never be a DD.

zegm
07-29-2010, 10:06 AM
Looks like everyone forgot about what is really the best crossover boat. Look for a LS and you will be more than happy! You get the room of the LSV with the wake of a DD as it is the same hull but with direct drive. And most importantly, when we test drove an Outback V we were almost in panic when the saleman turned the wheel real hard with the kids sitting in the front of the boat as there is not much there to keep them in place. The LS/LSV family of boats has a much deeper and roomer bow section! It was one of the biggest reasons we decided to go with the LS.

tarheelskier
07-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks all for the feedback. The v-drive room and comfort for the family and friends is also a consideration. Heck i would love to just go with the OB and ski all day, but that's not going to happen.

Thanks again for the feedback and any and all pics and experience is appreciated.

Looking forward to becoming part of the Moomba family, just not sure if it will be this boat or another one. Thanks!

kaneboats
07-29-2010, 11:45 AM
You might be surprised at how fast you and the family get interested in the other sports once you have the capability. Within 2 years of being a mostly skiing family with an outboard we went through the Outback LS and on to the LSV. Now we ski only 10% and wakeboard 50% and surf 40%.

skiyaker
07-29-2010, 12:01 PM
Looks like everyone forgot about what is really the best crossover boat. Look for a LS and you will be more than happy! You get the room of the LSV with the wake of a DD as it is the same hull but with direct drive. And most importantly, when we test drove an Outback V we were almost in panic when the saleman turned the wheel real hard with the kids sitting in the front of the boat as there is not much there to keep them in place. The LS/LSV family of boats has a much deeper and roomer bow section! It was one of the biggest reasons we decided to go with the LS.

Dang you guys without wives that say "yeah but that boat has a engine in the middle of it" LOL! Maybe I can convince her that we need to trade for an LS RIGHT NOW since it's being discontinued!

KB you're right about picking up new sports, but I'll never be able to replace the speed and accleration of the lost art of slalom

zegm
07-29-2010, 01:16 PM
I guess I am lucky as it is the wife who loves to go down the slalom course. We do Wakeboard, Ski, Kneeboard and Surf behind our LS and do it each and everytime we go out. As far as storage room goes all of those specific toys are in the boat now and you won't see any of them. 1 pair skis, 3 slalom skis, 2 wakeboards, 2 kneeboards and one surfboard!!!!
Get the Z5 Bimini top as that is a great option.

deerfield
07-29-2010, 02:15 PM
I'll never be able to replace the speed and accleration ... of slalom

Amen. Amen.

offaxis82
07-29-2010, 06:27 PM
mnpracing has it right, I have the same type of hull you are looking at, mine is an '05 LSV. I run the course with it every weekend at 32-34mph no problems, then load it down for surfing in the afternoon. Wakeboarding, I still haven't quite figured out how to get a money wake on this boat, it seems a lot more finicky than other boats I've ridden behind when it comes to wakeboard wakes.

The wakeplate is a must if you are going to slalom with the LSV though, and preferably no more than 3 people in the boat or the wake will grow quickly. If you have 3 ppl put one person in the bow and you're laughing.

kaneboats
07-30-2010, 09:35 AM
This is the first person I've seen on here running a slalom course with the LSV/OBV. Most skiers out there are not running the course.

offaxis82
07-30-2010, 10:51 AM
This is the first person I've seen on here running a slalom course with the LSV/OBV. Most skiers out there are not running the course.

Yup, not quite as sweet as the wake behind the outback DD at my lake, but I'm happy with the compromise.

FWIW, my old man is 62 and he skis the course with our boat, albeit a bit slower speed and longer rope...

skiyaker
07-30-2010, 12:59 PM
as for me I wouldn't say that I'm running the course in my OBV... but I'm trying real hard haha! offaxis how short have you skied behind it- when I flatten the wake for 15 off there appears to be a huge rooster tail just in front of me so that's why I told my wife if I ever get better I might need a second boat. the only problem we've had on the course is that it's challenging to drive when there's a crosswind (Hi, my name is Bob, I'm new to the ski club and by the way I just ran over a guide buoy)

wilkieref
07-30-2010, 01:24 PM
We have 2006 Mobius LS with wake plate and tower. I ski every weekend and my son and wife wakeboard. Great for both, skiing behind is great at about 28 - 30 mph very little wake. I either drop the wake plate or fill the balist and they love to wakeboard behind. I think it is a great corssover boat.

offaxis82
07-30-2010, 01:33 PM
We have 2006 Mobius LS with wake plate and tower. I ski every weekend and my son and wife wakeboard. Great for both, skiing behind is great at about 28 - 30 mph very little wake. I either drop the wake plate or fill the balist and they love to wakeboard behind. I think it is a great corssover boat.

This is a different hull than he is looking at.

Skiyaker, I honestly have no idea how short my rope is, I'm gonna have to measure it when I go up for holidays next week... Only got into doing the course b/c some of the old vets set it up every summer... Those old dudes can ski, holy s***!

skiyaker
07-31-2010, 12:36 PM
hate to even post these but it's raining and I'm bored so here goes. These are some frame captures from a free ski day on my OBV we had. Keep in mind it was a "heavy day" 4 adults, 3 kids, wakeboards, surfboard, 2 full coolers, full tank of gas, boards, ski trainer, tube, you get the idea. We were going about 28 mph- so this would be your worst case scenario ski wake behind this boat. Oh... looks like I need to correct my vision and body position in pic#2- but wait when I did that I didn't see that roller coming and took a tumble haha! When I get back on it I'll post some "light day" pictures at faster speeds.

zegm
08-01-2010, 10:37 PM
I guess because we heard SC was going to kill the LS that might explain why we were on the MasterCraft website lastnight looking at the X-14. We built an awesome boat and it even came with a boat lube dispenser!. Wow that X-14 DD drive is sweet looking and you can get a Z-5 Bimini too!
We began with MasterCraft and if SC is planning to just do the pleasure boat route we might have to go back to MasterCraft one day! Used of course and luckily we have a friend with all the connections! ;)

tarheelskier
08-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks everyone for the good info,

Skiyaker, thanks for the pics. good looking wake at 28mph. My wife and I typically free-ski at 34-35 mph.

skiyaker
08-02-2010, 12:28 PM
yeah I backed it off cause I'm on a new ski- when this sprained ankle heals I'll speed it up to get some pics at higher speeds if you still need 'em.

Jeffro
08-03-2010, 08:51 AM
We have an 07 model, and it works great for both skiing and wakeboarding. We fill the balist up when we're wakeboarding, and we also adjust the wake plate. But it works great for both sports, you just have to play around with the wake plate and the balist to find the best wake for you :)

sleepyluke
08-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Not to derail, but how does the LSV or even the LS compare to the mid 2000's Supra 22SSV for both? We are looking pretty seriously at the 3 to replace a true ski TS6 that we wakeboard behind more than ski anymore. We are probably 50% wakeboard, 25 kneeboard and 25 ski, but want to be able to surf and toward the future, probably tube with the kids also. I know there is not a great crossover that does all exactly the same, but we seem to be leaning toward the Mobius series, and this thread has made that decision actually more difficult with the addition of the LS back to the does both well category! Thanks

zegm
08-03-2010, 12:07 PM
We ski, we wakeboard and we surf behind a Stock LS Mobius. You could also add ballast to the rear storage area if you wanted a bigger wake for surfing. But the point is that my 10 year old and my 13 year old do ski behind it without having a huge wake to cross at speed without worrying about it. My wife also goes down the slalom course behind it, of course the stock ballast is empty and the wakeplate (we call it our ski plate) is down all the way. As far as room it will hold as many people as an LSV as the rear bench is long enough for me to lay down on and I am 6'2" tall. And you wouldn't be going down a slalom course with that many people in the boat. You could always attach the ski rope to the tower when the boat is full and someone want to pleasure ski.
If you plan on skiing some then it becomes a choice between the wake and the surround style seating. One of the problems that I see on this board is that people assume there is less room in an LS. There is not, the real problem is that dealers don't usually stock the LS so everyone makes that assumption without ever seeing an LS. When we first sat in an LS at the Atlanta boat show we were shocked at how much room is in it. Remember the space in the rear where the engine is in an LSV is now open, you don't have that far to go to get into the boat because the cockpit is longer than an LSV. The engine in a LS is sitting in the middle of the boat and in the case of an LSV there are no seats there anyhow. OK my son does like to sit on the engine cover when we are just boating around.

Jeffro
08-04-2010, 07:25 PM
The LSV gives you a little more weight on the stern and permanent areas for ballast bags. It's design is for more wake that the LS.

zegm
08-04-2010, 10:15 PM
The LSV gives you a little more weight on the stern and permanent areas for ballast bags. It's design is for more wake that the LS.

I agree, if you wakeboard more go V-drive, if you want to ski and especially if you have any desire to use a slalom course go with the LS.
Note, there is a large storage area in the back of the LS that can hold ballast bags. Permanent or not is always up to you.