PDA

View Full Version : Ever seen this before....

thesack
07-27-2010, 11:39 PM
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k128/nadams18/shaft.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k128/nadams18/prop.jpg

Hit something in the middle of the river pulling a rider. Needless to say the day was over. Got towed to a buddies dock by a fellow boater, then towed down to the ramp by the Sheriff. Active Water Sports said it is the first broken shaft the have ever seen, and the insurance adjuster said it was impressive.

cab13367
07-28-2010, 02:16 AM
Man, so sorry to hear about this. Where did this happen, exactly? I've run that stretch from Newberg to Wilsonville many times and have been fortunate not to have hit anything (yet).

thesack
07-28-2010, 02:29 AM
It happened maybe 100 yards down river of the Champoeg dock. We've gone through that area thousands of times and never had a problem. Just had to of been something floating about 2 feet under the water going down river.

sandm
07-28-2010, 09:08 AM
wow. bet that's going to cost a pretty penny to get fixed right.

moombadaze
07-28-2010, 09:17 AM
Wow, looks like the strutt bent back and let the prop hit the bottom--looks like a chunk got bit out

kaneboats
07-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Looks like a single blade strike on the prop. I've never even heard of a busted shaft, much less seen one. It almost looks like sabotage where that break is. Could just be a weak spot in the shaft. Very strange.

mnpracing
07-28-2010, 11:10 AM
in the picture it looks like the bottom of the boat is all scuffed up, or is that just a reflection?

kaneboats
07-28-2010, 11:12 AM
Looks like just a reflection of the pavement to me.

MartinCaron
07-28-2010, 11:35 AM
look like a dirty hull to me... siting on the water for to long without being washed...

jra007
07-28-2010, 11:46 AM
wow... bummer. odd that the shaft snapped like that, with minimal damage to the prop (much softer material). Make sure you get the tranny checked out too!

lewisb13
07-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Does the prop spin? Looks like that support grabbed the shaft. Weird spot for it to break. Youd think it would have snapped at the prop.

thesack
07-28-2010, 09:52 PM
There are no scrap marks, just a dirty hull. But there is a chunk of fiberglass missing from where the prop should normally be at. What we think happened is that what ever we hit, hit the strut first causing it to bend and then snap the shaft. Then the aftermath the prop went up into the hull and then into the rudder which caused damage to the prop. I am grateful that insurance is covering it, the estimate to fix the boat is $5500. I am sure that Active will check to make sure that the tranny is ok, since the boat is there right now with work starting on it tomorrow. And yes the prop spins.

rc5695
07-30-2010, 12:11 PM
yeah, I was going to say that the prop "ding" looks like it is from when it hit the rudder.

Seen this once on an inboard, but MUCH worse outcome, and the guy never hit anything. Old Ski Nautique, like early 80's, was running WOT and his shaft snapped, jammed the rudder sideways, throwing the back of the boat up in the air, and the front under! Busted out the windsheild and was floating at the rubrail level since it filled the boat with water! I can't say for a fact he didn't hit anything, but he was in the channel where it happened...

I had this happen on my last boat. I had an outboard and was running ~40 up the lake to go skiing and all of a sudden the motor started free-revving! I was like "what the heck"!?!?!?! Tilted the motor up and the prop was gone, just sheared the shaft off smooth adn clean right where it comes out of the seal. Sucked major too since it was my perfect SS ski prop! Never could find another one like it :( Anyways, I never hit anything and was totally perplexed! The dealer said he sees it occasionally, and its usually caused by fishing line getting wrapped around it and wearing on it just enough to cause a slight weakspot in the shaft, then any kind of vibration or impact can eventually cause it to break.

Sorry to see it though, and good luck getting it fixed. At least the bottom of your boat should get cleaned up in order to fix the chunk of hull missing :P

thesack
08-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Got the boat back last night from Active. About a week and a half to get her fixed isn't too bad. Everything looks good on and Active said she ran smooth during the water test. Will hopefully get her back on the water this afternoon to test her out and see how she is running.

Oh and yes the hull is clean now...lol

kaneboats
08-10-2010, 12:12 PM
We're all glad to hear you are gonna be back on the water-- with a clean hull!

thesack
08-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Seems to have a better hull shot now that the bottom is clean. LOL. Boat is running good other then a minor vibration while pulling a rider in a straight line, when turning the vibration goes away. Looked at the rudder after we got off the water last night and it has some side to side play, at most an 1/8". So more then likely it will go back in to the shop.