PDA

View Full Version : New here

kaddy
07-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Sort of a new Moomba owner - wondering how the get the best wake. Do most people have the plate all the up, or halfway, or down? What about the ballast tanks?

right now when I board I have the front ballast half full, and the rear empty. I can't decide where to put the plate, however.

skiyaker
07-27-2010, 11:42 AM
hey Kaddy- welcome to the forum. where ya from and what boat/setup do you have?

kaddy
07-27-2010, 12:36 PM
thanks - live in Vancouver, WA. I bought a 2007 XLV in February - only had 39 hours on it. Trying to figure it out, obviously. I've had it on the water a few times this summer, boarding and surfing. 3 ballast tanks, 2 in the rear (250 each, I believe), and 1 in the front (500).

cab13367
07-27-2010, 04:04 PM
thanks - live in Vancouver, WA. I bought a 2007 XLV in February - only had 39 hours on it. Trying to figure it out, obviously. I've had it on the water a few times this summer, boarding and surfing. 3 ballast tanks, 2 in the rear (250 each, I believe), and 1 in the front (500).

The heavier your set up, the bigger the wake, but the faster you have to go to get a clean wake. So for max wake size for boarding, fill all your ballast tanks and put the wakeplate all the way up. Only move the wake plate down if the bow of the boat is porpoising (bobbing up and down) and only put it down in small increments until the porpoising stops. Start at about 20 mph and go faster in 0.5 mph increments until the wake is clean 70' back (or whatever rope length you ride at). And calibrate your speedo with a portable gps before you do anything. There's a knob under the dash for this purpose.

For surfing, fill the front bag completely, fill the surf side rear (you'll need to get at least a 750# instead of the 250) and have everyone sit on the surf side, starting at the rear corner and moving up towards the bow. Go about 10 mph, wakeplate all the way up.

Have fun!

Al

kaddy
07-27-2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the info. If I get a bigger ballast for surfing, what do I do, just take out the 250 and replace it with the 750? Is that easy to do? Or do I buy an extra ballast to throw in there, but then how do you fill it?

cab13367
07-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the info. If I get a bigger ballast for surfing, what do I do, just take out the 250 and replace it with the 750? Is that easy to do?

Yes, exactly. Just buy two 3/4" quick connect fittings and put them on the 750, then you just swap it for the 250 when you want to surf.

you da man
07-27-2010, 11:04 PM
Just double check your ballast hose length. You don't want to be filling a larger bag then the hose is too short, next thing you know you're filling your v-drive locker because the short hose has pulled itself out of the fitting. You probably have 400's in the rear and a 650 in the center (just a guess if it's stock). A 750 is a must but I'd throw 1100's on each side in the rear. Just remember to also add a little weight on the opposite side v-drive locker to add more push to the wake and some bow weight will lengthen the pocket of the wake. I've been experimenting all summer with my XLV. I've tried 2,000lbs all the way to 3,200lbs of ballast. Fixing to try 3,600lbs in a couple weeks.