PDA

View Full Version : Tower mount keeps comming loose

bjames
07-27-2010, 11:05 AM
OK... I am getting real tired of my front port side tower mount comming loose after every ride :mad:. This is where the detachable foot mounts to the tower leg. There is a set screw that keeps comming loose - even when I use blue lock tight. The set screw was replaced under warranty early in the season, however that doesnt seem to be the cause. Right now I have a 1/8" gap between the tower leg and tower foot and moves up and down until I re-tighten the set screw. The other side is tight and never had a problem. Any sugestions?

lewisb13
07-27-2010, 11:08 AM
RED Loctite or bowstring wax

bjames
07-27-2010, 01:03 PM
if it's a nyloc, get new ones

What do you mean? Nylon set screw? This is a small stainless set screw. I am starting to wonder if the threads on the tower are stripped. Under close inspection, the threads on the SS screw is good, but sits crooked inside the hole.

DOCDRS
07-27-2010, 03:21 PM
I have a. Smilar prob, will post pics later, and made a post about this. Ihave talked to
Cody at. XTP , it is used to help them mount the towers. To hold the swivel, my boat was
missing these on 3 of the feet and I only noticed as the one
Present was squeeling like a pig in rough water. Mine are on the inside close to the window
Any ways thinkinhg about this what if a hole was drilled thru the tower collar and swivel then
Bolted with lock washer

cab13367
07-27-2010, 03:25 PM
What do you mean? Nylon set screw? This is a small stainless set screw. I am starting to wonder if the threads on the tower are stripped. Under close inspection, the threads on the SS screw is good, but sits crooked inside the hole.

That's pretty lame if a small set screw is the only thing holding the tower tube to the foot. And a safety issue as well. Or maybe I am not understanding it correctly.

How about drilling all the way thru the tower leg, both the inside and outside tubes, and securing it with a SS screw and nylock? Be careful if you have wires running thru there though.

Glad my 2006 is welded there instead of being removable :)

bjames
07-27-2010, 04:12 PM
That's pretty lame if a small set screw is the only thing holding the tower tube to the foot. And a safety issue as well. Or maybe I am not understanding it correctly.

How about drilling all the way thru the tower leg, both the inside and outside tubes, and securing it with a SS screw and nylock? Be careful if you have wires running thru there though.

Glad my 2006 is welded there instead of being removable :)

I agree, it is lame... seems like one more point of posssible faillure. I was told that the detachable tower feet are an option and is comonly used so that the dealer can ship the boats with the towers off, and assemble them a lot easier once they arrive.
I was wondering the same thing about drilling through. Besides, Im pretty sure a thru-bolt would be a more secure method of attachment.

DOCDRS
07-27-2010, 05:29 PM
Yours is similar to mine the coollar and the swivel are a unit that is welded to the tower
I was told there is a large bolt and washer of some sort on the swivel that will
Not let it separate from the coller

bjames
07-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Yours is similar to mine the coollar and the swivel are a unit that is welded to the tower
I was told there is a large bolt and washer of some sort on the swivel that will
Not let it separate from the coller

I wonder what purpose the set screw offers. With it loose the gap betweeen the tower leg and mounting foot slides up & down by 1/8" - 1/4" or so. Its now at my dealer to have a look at.

DOCDRS
07-28-2010, 12:33 PM
there is movement to allow turning of the swivel.....I was told there was no way the swivel can come out of the tower....with the in out movement I wonder if it reduces or increases stress on the foot. I believe the majority of the stress is on the back feet as these seem to be the pads that migrate the most that guys are complaining about
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4089/4837603735_01ba9bc98c_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4153/4838215374_daa91b7be5_b.jpg

iwakeboard
07-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Doc, hey I didn't know you were who I spoke to on the phone about the breakaways, hopefully it made some sense what I was trying to explain!

A picture is worth a thousand words, so I went and got the raw parts for a breakaway and sat them next to an assembled piece so you can see how it all sits together in there. The top piece you'll see in the picture, with the threads, is tightened all the way into the foot receiver and locked with red loctite (we couldn't get it out in a vice). The reason the foot has play is for installation and ease of taking off/putting on the tower. The set screws will keep it in place, you can put loctite on them if you never have to remove your tower so you don't get any play.

Hope the pic explains a little:

http://i25.tinypic.com/m99ht0.jpg

bjames
07-28-2010, 05:47 PM
How does one screw in the insert? I guess that has to be done before they weld the tower leg on.

DOCDRS
07-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the pics Cody..... a little different that i had pictured but similar idea. James..yes it is assembled before they weld it on to the tower....Think i may use the red locktite as I dont think i'll be mounting my tower on a diff boat

iwakeboard
07-29-2010, 07:22 AM
How does one screw in the insert? I guess that has to be done before they weld the tower leg on.

The set screw can be screwed in very easily, the large threaded insert atop the picture is threaded into the foot and gobbed up with red loctite before it's then welded into the tower.