PDA

View Full Version : XLV on Lake Michigan?

tlatoani
07-27-2010, 10:24 AM
Has anyone done this? I'm normally a small-lake boater, but there is a big party this weekend. My brother wants me to tow my boat up so we can tie up to others and have fun. It sounds like I *could* stay inside the marina/wave-break areas. However, if it is a calm day as predicted (~5mph winds) will I be able to take the boat out for a bit?

Also, has anyone parked a trailer there? The marinas seem to have ~40 spots. We're planning to be there really early. I also saw a note about putting in at a suburban launch and going through the canals. Sounds fun, but my boat doesn't handle THAT well.

thanks....and thanks for any other tips.

patrick232
07-27-2010, 11:22 AM
I'm thinking Lake Erie this weekend with my XLV. I used to have a Rinker 232 that I took on Lake Erie it did ok so I think we should both be safe.

skiyaker
07-27-2010, 11:39 AM
there are some guys on here who do it

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=11732&highlight=lake+michigan

last time I was on lake erie I saw a 20 ft bass boat with one guy standing up holding a fishing pole in both hands. I was on a 30 ft charter trying not to turn green from the rollers. Not sure if that takes a lot of stones or just stupidity

tlatoani
07-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Good thread. Thanks. Now I just need to pick a place to launch that has car/trailer parking.

sailing217
07-27-2010, 01:22 PM
I grew up on Lake Erie. Keep shore in sight and you'll be fine. 3ft or less chop you'll be OK. Anything more leave the boat in the parking lot.

Have an exit plan to the nearest marina. If black clouds roll onto the horizon, you have about 30 minutes. Let someone on shore know what time to expect you off the water.

canals=logs and prop issues, I'd pass.

I've seen the 18ft aluminum fishing boat offshore while we are in a 36ft sport fisher getting air...absolutely stupid.

jmvotto
07-28-2010, 10:34 AM
check out www.sailflow.com gives a great resource for wind speeds and directions.