PDA

View Full Version : Speedo help - jumping around

rc5695
07-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Not sure if this is the proper location to post my problem, but I figure a mod will move it if it isn't ;)

2000 Moomba Kamberra (VD)

My speedo will move around about 5 miles per hour! I'll take off and it'll sit on 25, take its time dropping to 20, maybe hold there for a while, then gradually go back up to 25. This continues constantly, never staying in one spot for long. I can do OK driving with it like this, but my wife pretty much stinks as a driver to begin with, and this makes it nearly impossible for her to get my speed and hold it.

Any ideas? I'm thinking I need a new pick-up/sending unit? It is the paddle-wheel style. The speedo has the knob on the right to correct the speed adjustment. I set it using a GPS when I bought the boat, as it wasn't bouncing around quite this bad.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!!!

maxpower220
07-26-2010, 02:37 PM
You may want to check all of the wiring. It may be a loose wire at the paddle wheel pick up. That is where I would start.

lewisb13
07-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Maybe the paddle wheel is dragging. Like, it doesnt spin freely. So as the water moves over it and its attempting to spin, maybe it doesnt spin correctly.

rc5695
07-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Maybe the paddle wheel is dragging. Like, it doesnt spin freely. So as the water moves over it and its attempting to spin, maybe it doesnt spin correctly.

It definitly spins freely. I'll start by checking the wiring then. thank you.

lewisb13
07-28-2010, 01:05 PM
I doubt you can spin it fast enough with your fingers to get it up to a speed which might be causing it to bind or get "hot". I dunno, just thinkin out loud here.

kaneboats
07-29-2010, 10:59 AM
[QUOTE=rc5695;107905]Not sure if this is the proper location to post my problem, but I figure a mod will move it if it isn't ;)[QUOTE]

Right you are. This belongs in service. Good luck!