PDA

View Full Version : guage fell out!!!!

myster
07-25-2010, 10:04 PM
twas a bit rough out there today and when we got to the beach, I noticed my electrical ( battery guage ) had fallen thru the dash....not out, but in. Upon closer inspection, the idiots cut that particular opening too big!! Guess I gotta do some "custom" work now....any ideas brothers??? Bede guages 08 xlv gg :confused:

phospher
07-25-2010, 10:17 PM
your dealer or skiers choice SHOULD be more than happy to fix that for you.

myster
07-26-2010, 09:20 AM
Well, I'm sure that they would, however the closest dealer and where I bought the boat is 4hrs. away. I think that I can probably do something, I was just fishing for some ideas.....yunno, maybe it's happened to someone else!!!!:cool:

jester
07-26-2010, 11:56 AM
How much bigger did they make the hole? If it is not too much you can take some tape and go around the hole a few times. You can get it so you would never know you put the tape in. If it is a bigger hole then a plate in the back that connects to the dash then to the guage. If you have photo's it might help bring up a few more ideas.

myster
07-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Thanks Jester.....I can see that whoever cut out the pre stamped hole was a hack and made it too big. It took all of last year and this year so far for it to fall out. I will try some tape, and/or an o ring maybe, pretty sure I'll get it fixed. Yunno, there has been quite a number of small nagging issues with this boat. I DO like my boat, but still.........maybe the difference between Moomba and Supra is the Moombas don't get QC or QA before they leave the factory, or maybe they use the Moombas to train new people!!!:cool:

K_E_N
07-26-2010, 05:14 PM
Same thing happened with my fuel gauge. I used a thick, gel-like household glue (I think it was called GOOP) to simply glue mine into place. I know, not the best fix, but it worked well enough for an '04 LSV.

myster
07-26-2010, 09:17 PM
Hey All, went under the dash on my xlv.........jeez, don't go under there..lol kidding tho it is a tight squeeze for an average guy. Gotta tell ya tho that great care was not taken when those guages were installed. its a simple thing where there are two extended feet bolted onto the guage that put pressure against the back of the dash to hold it in place, if that is someone installing them didn't make the hole too big!!!! Had to " Ottawa Valley Buchshee " it back together. Guys and Gals... EVERY SINGLE SCREW AND NUT OR BOLT IS/WAS LOOSE, and there bare MANY and lots are VERY hard to get at and some were already falling or had fallen off!!!! I'd say it is worthwhile and NECESSARY to scour your boat and tighten stuff up. I know that things can vibrate loose, but this is ridiculous!!!:evil:

myster
07-26-2010, 10:27 PM
oh btw, I used a rubber o ring and then I used those support feet that are bolted to the guages by spreading them a bit. I have no doubt that goop will work, great stuff!! unless you wanna or need to, take that guage out again......that stuff is tough!!!!!! If you are gonna buy " goop ", just get the household stuff, its the same as the marine goop only cheaper!!

Garn
07-27-2010, 11:34 AM
Myster, what kind of o-ring did you use that would fix this problem? I have the same problem that I need to take care of. Is it something you get at a hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot?

Thanks,

Garn

myster
07-28-2010, 09:11 AM
it was an o ring that fits snuggly around the guage right up to the chrome outer ring. I was able to get a variety of o rings at work and used the one that fit the best. I would imagine that if you took the guage with you to the store ( unplug it ) you will have no trouble finding one. The o ring is visable but not unsightly. spread the "feet" that are bolted onto the guage when you re-install it then tighten the little bolts by hand until it is fitting tight!! good luck!!!!:cool: