PDA

View Full Version : Tried the Acme 1235 today

Poison
07-24-2010, 11:24 PM
I scoured this forum relentlessly for several days as I was shopping for a new prop, so I thought I would give back my two cents after purchasing a new one.

Today I used the ACME 1235 on my 2007 XLV GG. Its 14.5 x 14.25 with a 1 1/8' bore. I am thoroughly impressed with this prop. I purchased it from Nettles and had a good experience with them. Installation was no sweat using a prop puller even for someone like me who had never changed one on an inboard (i've only changed props on I/Os). The boat came with the stock OJ 13.7x17.5. That prop had an unfortunate rendezvous with a rock jetty so I purchased another and will send the OJ back to the shop for repair so I will have a spare.

Previously, the stock prop topped the boat out at ~44-45 mph (GPS). I would say the hole shot was medium normally, and almost sluggish with the full ballast. The ACME 1235 topped out at about 40.5 (GPS). Hole shot was wicked unweighted. With the full 2000lbs of ballast 2 people in the boat and one rider, the hole shot was still great.

That thing is a rocket ship out of the hole. I'm quite willing to sacrifice four knots off the top end for the power of this prop. The wake seemed to be a little cleaner as well. It also runs pretty quietly and with no noticeable vibration.

For anybody in my situation (maybe new to inboards and how to prop them, and/or just require lots of good reviews before you buy anything) or just shopping around, I really recommend this prop. The only negative I can think of is that I believe my gas consumption went up a little. Its kind of a hard thing to measure, but it seemed to go down a little faster with this prop. Might just be my OC paranoia though.

FWIW, I initially thought I was going to have trailer clearance problems after I had already ordered it. The crossbar seemed to have about 1 1/16 inch (1.0625) clearance with the stock prop. Assuming the diameter of the new one is .8 inches more than stock, I was afraid it was going to leave me 1.0625 - 0.8 = 0.2625 inches of clearance (nerd alert). I read on here that 1/4 (0.25) inches is the minimum clearance, but that is a little too close to the minimum for my liking. However, after putting the prop on, I still have approximately an inch or so of clearance. It turns out the bore on the ACME is actually shorter than the OJ allowing it sit slightly higher on the shaft. At least I think it is...that's my story and I'm sticking to it...because despite the increased diameter, I still have plenty of clearance.

As far as I'm concerned, this prop was made for my XLV. Another recommend for this prop. Thanks to everyone who posts all this helpful info on here all the time, I reference this forum a lot.

you da man
07-25-2010, 09:27 AM
Awsome feedback. I'm thinking of going to this prop in the winter. I already have the OJ wakeboard prop and the topspeed is about 42mph. Holeshot with 3,000lbs of ballast and 3 people is still good. I'm interested in the clean wake and less vibration.

sandm
07-25-2010, 10:09 AM
do it you da man. it is soooo much better out of the hole and all the vibrations and steering wheel feedback are gone....
it was the best $$ I've spent so far on the boat..

loudsubz
07-25-2010, 08:18 PM
I have the slightly smaller 1433 on my 2010 LSV. Lost some top end but everything else is 10 fold. I wasn't sure on the clearance issue so I went with the slightly smaller 1433 still the same except overall diameter.

kaneboats
07-26-2010, 11:32 AM
I recall at the prop testing being just amazed at the performance of this one when we threw it on the XLV. It did seem to be made for that boat.