PDA

View Full Version : Rain

Waynes345
07-24-2010, 11:32 AM
So we had 7+ inches of rain Thursday night and the lake came up a couple feet and was closed. The local marina guy told me there were more than 100 boats that had floated off lifts (always tie them as well). Had a few more inches of rain last night and it looks like the lake will remain closed again today. As my boat was out of the water this week for service, I brought it back to the cabin and changed the oil, tightened the pylon, washed and waxed the hull and if it quits raining today I'll give the interior a good going over as well. Maybe we can drop in tonight for some surfing. Tomorrow looks good if they reopen the lake.

deerfield
07-24-2010, 03:47 PM
Waynes345 - I am headed north to Twin Lakes this afternoon to check on the lake, boat, and lift. If all is well, we will be on the water tomorrow, too. We were out of town and arrived home early this morning. Drove through torrential wind and rain. Heard there was plenty of bad weather while we were out of town. - Deerfield

Waynes345
07-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Waynes345 - I am headed north to Twin Lakes this afternoon to check on the lake, boat, and lift. If all is well, we will be on the water tomorrow, too. We were out of town and arrived home early this morning. Drove through torrential wind and rain. Heard there was plenty of bad weather while we were out of town. - Deerfield

Things are pretty bad here at ACL. Good thing my boat was out of the water last week as the lake came up more the 4.5' and it was to the bottom of my lift cover. 7" Thu night and another 6" last night. Over two days 160 boats floating loose. The marina and security office had 8-10" of water in them and they are at least 4' above normal lake level. Entire docks with boats attached floated above the posts that usually anchor them and drifted off. In the marina bay I saw that one whole dock was missing and we went over to the Cove and saw that they had roped it up to the point. The back ends of half the boats were banging the shore. My buddy has lake front and a big Flow lift that gets his boat more than 4' out of the water and his had floated off. We drove around the lake at noon today and the two streams coming into the north end had over run the road and removed the pavement. Water normally 12' across and a foot deep had to have been a couple hundred yards and 12' at the deepest. There were logs washed up over the road. The spillway which is usually a picturesque fall was a roaring torrent. Everybody was over there taking pictures. A boat had evidently gone over the 70' drop and was on the other side of the bridge with just the bottom half of the hull there as the top half with floor and seats as well as engine were gone. Has looked like rain all day but still holding off and we have our fingers crossed. Lake, marina, office, clubhouse, pool, golf course, trails all closed. The trails are so washed out, I can't imagine when they will be open again. I hope your boat is afe up there at the Twins. Good luck. I'll post some pics later.

deerfield
07-24-2010, 07:10 PM
Waybes345 - All is well at Twin Lakes, though the water level is a bit high. The lake is open. Our lift and canopy are untouched by the storm and boat is covered and dry. Tomorrow should be a good day. Are meeting up with another family for the afternoon and evening. Look forward to seeing your pics. - Deerfield

Waynes345
07-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Our spillway/waterfall. The remnants of a boat after going over the falls. A missing dock as well as 8 boats. Marina and launch under water. My kids on the docks for boat parking at the Cove restaurant.

Waynes345
07-24-2010, 07:42 PM
The missing dock and boats. Our lift motor was submerged. Road damage. Instant river and more road damage.

skiyaker
07-25-2010, 01:12 AM
holy crap, and I was just complaining about staying up tonight sucking up water out of the basement.