PDA

View Full Version : new sport

DOCDRS
07-24-2010, 09:14 AM
while on my holidays I picked up another water sport.......and I thought surfing was fun!!!!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4081/4823804048_64e957218c_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4097/4823190123_db95c935d5_b.jpg

and this to show not all was easy

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4076/4823247291_196ca6772f_b.jpg

MEDIC151
07-24-2010, 09:41 AM
I so want one of those. About the only water toy I don't have.

DOCDRS
07-24-2010, 09:48 AM
yep i'm not getting any younger so i decided to get me one.... my daughter now says i have every water toy ya can have......untill the next one :)

gus 08 mobius lsv
07-24-2010, 10:15 AM
what is that i never seen or heard of that before

Hootreville
07-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Just picked one up this year!!! I love it. Have not been on anything else since I bought it. Im afraid it will slow my progression since it is so different to ride!!

Hootreville
07-24-2010, 10:32 AM
A quick pic..

moombabound
07-24-2010, 10:51 AM
I have heard this is an absolute blast. And a gut-buster for those in the boat, watching someone try it for the first time. It's on my radar to rent one. It was on my radar to perhaps acquire one at the boat show in the spring, but even the boat show special price would set a guy back fifteen hundred bucks. I don't dispute there is some fine workmanship and materials involved, but I was one month fresh of pumping $1500 into my damaged snowmobile, so 2011 perhaps...

sandm
07-24-2010, 11:26 AM
what is that i never seen or heard of that before

it's called an air chair. $1500 seems to be the going price. supposed to have a very easy learning curve.

there are 2 guys at our lake that have one and are able to do some massive inverts off them. they are absolutely amazing to watch with someone good riding...

Hootreville
07-24-2010, 11:49 AM
There are a couple of different hydrofoil brands. Mine is made by sky ski. You can find them used on Craigslist and Ebay. Ive seen them for as little as $500 for a used air chair to $5000 for a top of the line sky ski. Ive been workin on some inverts but as you can see it is not going so well. Check out you tube vids and you will be amazed at what people can do on these things.

DOCDRS
07-24-2010, 12:09 PM
great riding hootre.....he's right its a SKY SKI and you can find used ones on ebay but most are the 29 " foil.....the b39 is a 39 " foil and very hard to find a used one....although $$$$ i figured easier to sell if i didn't like it, and if i do i dont have to upgrade to the longer foil a year later... :)...having someone knowledgeable to ride with is a huge bonus as shortens the learning curve

DOCDRS
07-24-2010, 12:37 PM
face plant is not too bad, wear a mouthguard :)......dam you Ed, wake kite... my buddy wanted to split on one of those but I wanted the sky ski first..... man the other day i saw a guy kite boarding that was kinda cool

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4074/4824269758_459c327e81_b.jpg

Hydrofoiljunky
07-24-2010, 01:29 PM
I warned you guys! LOL Enjoy that thing Doc. Also, check out www.foilforum.com for tips and questions.

Chad

[QUOTE=DOCDRS;107641]while on my holidays I picked up another water sport.......and I thought surfing was fun!!!!

gus 08 mobius lsv
07-24-2010, 02:10 PM
how fast do you go on the air chair and how painful is the falls?

Hydrofoiljunky
07-26-2010, 07:47 PM
how fast do you go on the air chair and how painful is the falls?

We go about 10 -12 teaching people how to ride it. 15-18 learning to jump and it goes on up from there. Some people ride clear up to 28 MPH. I think most experienced riders ride around 20-24.

Crashes. Oh my gosh. They can be painful, but it's usually only the face slaps that hurt. No worse than Wakeboarding or tubing. I've seen some nasty ones of those as well LOL

One of the best parts of learning to ride is the entertainment for the people in the boat :-)

cab13367
07-26-2010, 08:33 PM
My bro just got one and we are going to try it next week. None of us know anything about it - any tips u can offer to those trying it for the first time? He also got a foilboard so we'll be trying that as well!

jmvotto
07-26-2010, 09:04 PM
cool stuff doc, i would love to try one ouit for size. i need to surf better though. i think my wife would kill me if i went with another water sport.

summer is not even over and i just booked a trip to steamboat for a couple days of "powder cat" skiing in January:(:D

Hydrofoiljunky
07-26-2010, 09:26 PM
My bro just got one and we are going to try it next week. None of us know anything about it - any tips u can offer to those trying it for the first time? He also got a foilboard so we'll be trying that as well!

1) This is nothing like water skiing. Let the boat pull you up. No tugging on the rope even after you get up.
2) Make sure butt is not hanging off the back of the seat. Will cause major problems.
3) Learn to ride board first with foil under water if that makes sense? If your fighting it coming up on you before your ready, tie a string around mid to upper part of Tbar(the long one)
4) Handle position and body position is critical. You'll find that slight movements with your body up or down will make you fly the foil or land :-) Same thing with handle position. Raising your hands makes the foil go down and vice versa. It's best to try and keep handle position right above your knees and try to adjust body position. This will help you later on.

I know I've missed some stuff but some things just need to be experienced LOL Hopefully other riders will chime in. Have fun and let us know how it goes.

What Model did your brother end up getting? I've only tried the foilboard once and it didn't go so well :-) Was a blast though.

Chad

Hydrofoiljunky
07-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Forgot I had this site. Alot of good info here...........

http://hydrofoiltutor.wikispaces.com/First+Time+riders

cab13367
07-26-2010, 10:56 PM
Thx, that's good info. How about tips for the driver? How much throttle to give when pulling someone up and how fast do you go?

Hydrofoiljunky
07-27-2010, 04:16 PM
Hey Cab, I would go about 10 - 12 since it's your first time riding. Once you get up a few times and ride for a while I would bump it to 15. Some find it easier once they get up and flying to go 15 - 18. My wife rides about 18 says it's easier on her back? :-)

You do not have to gun it on startup. You will be amazed at how easy that thing comes outta of the water. Even when my brother was 245lbs, I didn't have to give but a gradual throttle to get him out. Also, it's really helpful to be in a boating area where you can go straight for a while and not have to worry bout turning just yet LOL Take it easy

Chad

cab13367
07-27-2010, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the tips Chad! I'll let you know how it goes and will definitley post some pics.

Hydrofoiljunky
07-27-2010, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the tips Chad! I'll let you know how it goes and will definitley post some pics.

Heck with that I want Video LOL

Hootreville
07-27-2010, 07:05 PM
The only thing that I have to contribute is H-Junky said to learn riding on the board not the foil. Which sounds easy but it is not. When I am teaching people to ride I tell them to reach for the boat or lean forward as far as you can when you get up. It will feel weird and look weird but it works. As you get more comfortable on the ski you can slowly roll your shoulders back and sit more upright. If you get in trouble lean forward as far as you can again. This will push the board to the water and make it easy to control.