PDA

View Full Version : 2000 outback Holley double pumper carb issues.....

vk_boomer
07-23-2010, 08:17 PM
Well let me just start off by saying that I am have the worst time with this boat. Just 2 weeks ago I got back from Afghanistan with high hopes of having a problem free boat and shredding the water up. With much to my ad vale the first time I took it out the fuel pump took a crap. Replaced it along with the spark plugs, coil pack and fuel filter(just for s/g's). This is when the real issues started. The fuel pump I bought is OEM but it was causing the carb to flood out. So my first thought is that the needle and seat went bad. So I rebuilt the carb. After the rebuild, the carb was still flooding out. So I put a fuel regulator on it and set it to 5 to 6 psi. Now after everything is fine tuned to include fuel pressure, fuel/air mixture, float level, idle rpm and timing the boat idles great. The issue I’m having now is when I give her hell it bogs pretty bad to the point of shouting off. If I ease into it, the boat accelerates awesome and is still drivable. It just sucks pulling someone up out of the water because of the hesitation. I have checked for vacuum leaks, but nothing. The next step is playing with the squatters’ and accellarattor pumps cams. But the boat ran awesome last season without any of these adjustments. So, If anyone is running a Holley double pumper 4150 600cfm, p/n 80559 and can help or if anyone has some advice before I go this route, please chime in and help out a desperate man:) Thanks

AaronWhitt82
07-24-2010, 12:22 AM
Well let me just start off by saying that I am have the worst time with this boat. Just 2 weeks ago I got back from Afghanistan with high hopes of having a problem free boat and shredding the water up. With much to my ad vale the first time I took it out the fuel pump took a crap. Replaced it along with the spark plugs, coil pack and fuel filter(just for s/g's). This is when the real issues started. The fuel pump I bought is OEM but it was causing the carb to flood out. So my first thought is that the needle and seat went bad. So I rebuilt the carb. After the rebuild, the carb was still flooding out. So I put a fuel regulator on it and set it to 5 to 6 psi. Now after everything is fine tuned to include fuel pressure, fuel/air mixture, float level, idle rpm and timing the boat idles great. The issue I’m having now is when I give her hell it bogs pretty bad to the point of shouting off. If I ease into it, the boat accelerates awesome and is still drivable. It just sucks pulling someone up out of the water because of the hesitation. I have checked for vacuum leaks, but nothing. The next step is playing with the squatters’ and accellarattor pumps cams. But the boat ran awesome last season without any of these adjustments. So, If anyone is running a Holley double pumper 4150 600cfm, p/n 80559 and can help or if anyone has some advice before I go this route, please chime in and help out a desperate man:) Thanks

How long was the boat sitting?
Was there much fuel in the tank and was it stabilized?

What kind of fuel pump did you replace the old one with?
The replacement should be a Carter P4389. It is max 6psi and has an internal regulating valve so you shouldn't have had to use a separate fuel regulator.
You said the carb was flooding out after you installed the new fuel pump.... Did you check to make sure everything was wired correctly? Turn the key to "ON" position and make sure the pump isn't running. It should only run while cranking the motor and while the motor is running.

Since you replaced the plugs and coil you should have done the cap & rotor as well.

When you rebuilt the carb did you shoot carb cleaner through all the passages and blow compressed air through everything to make sure no dirt was clogging anything up?

What size power valve are you using? It should be a 2.5.

Do you know what size the jets are on the primary & secondary?

I would leave the pumps cams alone.
It sounds like it's not getting enough fuel at hole shot.
Make sure the pump arm/spring for the acc pump is adjusted correctly so your getting enough gas squirted in the carb.

I would double check your float levels as well and make sure you do it on the water as it's hard to set them on the trailer.

Just sounds like you need to do a bit more tweaking to the carb to get her set up just right !!!!

seanpatsdad
07-24-2010, 03:16 AM
Aaron,
Just wanted to say great response.I have a 04 Mobius LSV with carb and I will keep this thread for future refrence.Vk boomer good luck.I hope it gets fixed.Thanks for your service also.
John

gcnettl
07-24-2010, 12:33 PM
A little note on the fuel pump.

Mine went out on the water.

Only warning symptom i got was that the pump would start up when I turned the ignition on and run for quite a bit of time before shutting off. My guess is that it was having trouble pumping up to pressure, just wore out.

It went completely out one day in the middle of a pull. But my above symptom might save someone a little headache out on the water.

vk_boomer
07-24-2010, 07:15 PM
How long was the boat sitting?
Was there much fuel in the tank and was it stabilized?

What kind of fuel pump did you replace the old one with?
The replacement should be a Carter P4389. It is max 6psi and has an internal regulating valve so you shouldn't have had to use a separate fuel regulator.
You said the carb was flooding out after you installed the new fuel pump.... Did you check to make sure everything was wired correctly? Turn the key to "ON" position and make sure the pump isn't running. It should only run while cranking the motor and while the motor is running.

Since you replaced the plugs and coil you should have done the cap & rotor as well.

When you rebuilt the carb did you shoot carb cleaner through all the passages and blow compressed air through everything to make sure no dirt was clogging anything up?

What size power valve are you using? It should be a 2.5.

Do you know what size the jets are on the primary & secondary?

I would leave the pumps cams alone.
It sounds like it's not getting enough fuel at hole shot.
Make sure the pump arm/spring for the acc pump is adjusted correctly so your getting enough gas squirted in the carb.

I would double check your float levels as well and make sure you do it on the water as it's hard to set them on the trailer.

Just sounds like you need to do a bit more tweaking to the carb to get her set up just right !!!!

Thanks for the bumps and help, to answer some of your questions....

The boat sat for about 5 months with about 6 gallons of fuel with stabilizer. We took it out right before I left for my deployment and ran it for about 2 hours so the stable would run through everything. When I got back and the pump went out I drained the fuel tank and changed the filter. The pump was replaced with a Carter p4389, but for some reason the pump was putting out about 6.5 psi and the holleys I guess are really touchy when it comes to fuel pressure. So I had to dumb it down a little. For the carb, I actually have access to a carb soaker from a local hot rod shop, so as far as I know it’s as clean as its going to get. I too thought it was the power valve, so I actually put the old one back in the carb, and it still does the bog. As far as the jets, I don’t know but I didn’t replace them just cleaned them. The boat still runs first crank, it just bogs when I give a large amount of throttle input. We are going to take it out tomorrow pending weather and play with it some more. Probably first thing this week I'm going to put it in the shop. It’s just so hard to accept defeat over something I know pretty well.

Thanks for all of your guys help, all info is duly noted....but please feel free to chime if you have any helpful info.

T100
07-24-2010, 11:41 PM
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

T100
07-24-2010, 11:57 PM
I'm having the same problems, start up ok runs for a while, hit the therotal down and it bogs out and is done. I'm at the cabin and it's a weeks wait if I take it in, I can change the fuel pump if I can get one tomorrow but is this the problem or a carb problem.
Guy's I need your help! Like the others above. HELP! Is it just a fuel pump or more.

vk_boomer
07-25-2010, 10:25 PM
I'm having the same problems, start up ok runs for a while, hit the therotal down and it bogs out and is done. I'm at the cabin and it's a weeks wait if I take it in, I can change the fuel pump if I can get one tomorrow but is this the problem or a carb problem.
Guy's I need your help! Like the others above. HELP! Is it just a fuel pump or more.

Sounds like your in the same boat as me with carb issues.....I would start with the simple checks like float level, adjust the fuel/air mixture, and check the timing.

Now does the boat bog out when you slam the throttle, or does it die when you ease into it?