PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! water coming in boat through shaft.

jokid
07-22-2010, 08:42 PM
I just went to put my boat in the water. While still on the trailer, I opened the v-drive compartment and noticed water coming in from the shaft. It wasn't where the shaft enters the boat but in between that and the v-drive. it looks like there is some kind of connector over the shaft that joins it with the v-drive. I am pretty sure it's not normal for water to just be coming in like that. I did a quick search and came up with maybe a shaft log? Is this difficult to replace or very costly? Any help is much appreciated. I just got to the lake house and am thinking my weekend I shot. HELP!!!!!

cab13367
07-22-2010, 09:03 PM
I just went to put my boat in the water. While still on the trailer, I opened the v-drive compartment and noticed water coming in from the shaft. It wasn't where the shaft enters the boat but in between that and the v-drive. it looks like there is some kind of connector over the shaft that joins it with the v-drive. I am pretty sure it's not normal for water to just be coming in like that. I did a quick search and came up with maybe a shaft log? Is this difficult to replace or very costly? Any help is much appreciated. I just got to the lake house and am thinking my weekend I shot. HELP!!!!!

That is the shaft seal. It's normal for water to drip from it at very low rate, as in one drop every 30-45 seconds. If you are getting a steady stream, try to tighten it with your bare hands or with some channel locks if you have them. You will need to back off the skinny nut first then tighten the big nut. If you can't get it to stop, don't worry about it - your bilge pump will kick on as necessary. You can just fix it later.

Below is a how to I did on replacing the shaft seal packing rope.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10841

jokid
07-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Thanks cab! It's definately not a drip. It's a steady stream. I guess it's my boats way of telling me it has been neglected (Ive been so busy I haven't taken her out in over a month). I will give it a shot to fix it on my own. I will keep yall updated. If anyone else wants to chime in I'm all ears.

jokid
07-23-2010, 05:49 PM
Forgot to give yall an update. At first I was having a lot of trouble getting the jam nut loose but it finally came loose for me. I was able to hand tighten the nut like butter. Low and behold no more steady stream. It will drip once about every ten seconds so I will eventually have to replace the packing but that can wait. I tightened the jam nut and have been enjoying myself on the lake. Thanks Cab for all your help! You saved me a lot of trouble and money. So far it's been a pretty great weekend at lake LBJ. Today is my wifes 27th birthday so I'm glad I could have the boat up and running for her.

Shake and bake!

kaneboats
07-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Sounds like you're good till the offseason. Enjoy!

seanpatsdad
07-24-2010, 03:23 AM
Jokid,
here is a good link.
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box&page=1

John

gcnettl
07-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Mine started leaking sometime early last year excessively. And then the float on my bilge quit. So I docked at a restaurant on the lake and didnt know either of the two were problems. Its about a 45 min boat ride from the landing to there. It was well dark on the trip back and the boat just started sputtering and spitting and I picked the hood up and water was up to the headers! bilge pump was not on cause the float was messed up... I was getting a little worried till i finally got the bilge pump to pumping. Took a few minutes to get the water down but the next day I put in and checked my shaft seal..... sure enough steady stream. Tightened it and installed new bilge pump... not a lick of trouble since.

I used to work on ships out in the gulf and we had pretty much the same type seal on the shafts on those big diesel drive engines. Had to check those and tighten every week. Changed the packing in them every 500 hours as preventive maintenance.