PDA

View Full Version : Which Way Do You Turn Around When Boat Is Listing?

kaneboats
07-22-2010, 12:46 PM
OK, this came up at the Sinclair Jam. Which way do you turn the boat around when you are going back to your surfer and the boat is listing due to the ballast from your surf setup? Some favor turning to the port side and keeping the low side to the inside (this assumes a "regular" setup). Others turn toward the starboard side as you would do almost any other time so the rider in the water passes on the driver's side of the boat. This also has the benefit of any rollers having to hit the "high" side of the boat. I also think it gets your rider moving out toward the surf side instead of moving back toward the wake when you start.

So, which way do you turn?

mnpracing
07-22-2010, 12:52 PM
when i back off the throttle to turn around, my bow will usually start moving to the unloaded side, so I just go with it. So loaded goofy, I usually end up going port. Loaded regular, usually end up going starboard.

Canuckle Head
07-22-2010, 12:57 PM
when i back off the throttle to turn around, my bow will usually start moving to the unloaded side, so I just go with it. So loaded goofy, I usually end up going port. Loaded regular, usually end up going starboard.

Ditto. Why fight gravity? Just back off the throttle, let the wake pass as your boat naturally turns itself around and then head back to the rider. Lately, all we've been doing is cutting the throttle as soon as the rider falls and then slowly engage reverse as they paddle back to the boat. Much faster than having them sit in the water while you try to make your way back to them.

sandm
07-22-2010, 02:44 PM
I pretty much follow ed's course. we all only ride regular, only had one goofy on the boat. back off throttle and let the rollers behind pass, then turn left slowly, and if you happen to catch up to the surf wake, give a little bit of power to keep the nose off them, then come around the rider on the left side. since the boat is listing so far over, it's not hard to keep eye contact on the rider as the person driving.

jmvotto
07-22-2010, 02:47 PM
ditto, to sandm and ed, but that is not how the votes are rolling in. ( no pun intended)

Jeffro
07-22-2010, 05:53 PM
I like the challange of Port side Regular.

newty
07-23-2010, 09:21 PM
I always turn away from the surf side. This puts the high side of the boat to the wave as it passes me. I also drop it into neutral and turn the wheel away and the boat does the rest.

And no... your not an anal moron.

DOCDRS
07-24-2010, 09:52 AM
I like variety and so it all depends which way the wind is blowing......

sailing217
07-26-2010, 01:40 PM
My boat pulled 3 National Surf comps with pro drivers from AWSA and NWL.

They and I drive just like Ed. Rollers pass and turn to your ballast side to keep from getting water in your vent. Boats had a bunch of ballast and rub rail touching water. Wife and kids in the boat we surf half that.

cab13367
07-28-2010, 02:39 PM
My boat pulled 3 National Surf comps with pro drivers from AWSA and NWL.

They and I drive just like Ed. Rollers pass and turn to your ballast side to keep from getting water in your vent.

What vent? The blower vent?

I used to turn towards the side the boat is listing but recently started turning the other way as the boat naturally turns that way as soon as I throttle back to idle. Also, the wake is smaller on that side. And yes, I do wait a second or two to let the rollers go by before turning.

kaneboats
07-29-2010, 11:07 AM
That's what I was wondering. I don't think I have an exposed vent other than blower vent at the stern.