PDA

View Full Version : Livewell plug in the cooler?

lewisb13
07-22-2010, 09:58 AM
I was just wondering who on here actually plugs their cooler? My boat didnt come with one, but I just ordered a couple off ebay. Just wondering if this buys you some time with keep the adult beverages cooler for longer.

jmvotto
07-22-2010, 10:26 AM
Cooler is useless for what it is was built for. the plug that comes with it is not that tight anyway, it will let some water by. use a plastic wine cork.

Razzman
07-22-2010, 10:44 AM
When i was using it as a cooler i just inserted a rubber plug from Home Depot and it sealed it just fine. Didn't matter it's still useless as a cooler. I wrapped it, insulated it and used HVAC foam, still useless.

lewisb13
07-22-2010, 10:53 AM
So what are yall doing for a cooler then? I dont want to have to open my lockers everytime someone wants a drink if I were to put a cooler in there. Where those struts attach is loose enough as it is. Im trying to find a cooler that fits in the bow of the boat in the space where that little jump seat would go IF my boat were equipped with it. I wish Igloo made a Vee shaped cooler for the front of the boat.

ian ashton
07-22-2010, 11:27 AM
My OB factory cooler works fine. I keep the blug in mine to avoid the cooler filling with bilge water, since the cooler is in the floor directly infront of the engine.

Razzman
07-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Wether or not your cooler works for you and how well is all based on where you live and how hot it gets. In Californias central valley 100+ temps late June through early August are the norm and ice won't last but maybe an hour in it no matter what you do.

I put a 56qt Igloo Marine cooler in the starboard locker and solved the problem. I also added color matching poly web finger pull straps to the hatches as Moombas lame upholstery indent to try and pull up the lid sucks. Now i have no iisues with ice or opening the lockers.

kaneboats
07-22-2010, 12:33 PM
Can you post pics of this?

skiyaker
07-22-2010, 12:37 PM
poor moomba cooler- everybody always calling you worthless and good for nothing. Some people even rip you out of the boat or use you to store muddy shoes. All the while you're just doing you best to keep a few beverages cool on a hot day.

I use a wine cork that I've shaved down to fit the plug, then fill the cooler with pre-chilled drinks and cover with ice. I also add 4-5 frozen bottles of water, when the ice melts the drinks will be floating in water, and the frozen water bottles keep the water cold which ensures that I have a frosty beverage at an honest price.

you da man
07-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Wether or not your cooler works for you and how well is all based on where you live and how hot it gets. In Californias central valley 100+ temps late June through early August are the norm and ice won't last but maybe an hour in it no matter what you do.

I put a 56qt Igloo Marine cooler in the starboard locker and solved the problem. I also added color matching poly web finger pull straps to the hatches as Moombas lame upholstery indent to try and pull up the lid sucks. Now i have no iisues with ice or opening the lockers.

I have a different experience with my 08 XLV in-floor cooler. With no plug and 20lbs of ice, I still have ice after a 8hr day on the lake in 100+ degree temps with 90% humidity...so basically 105-108 degrees actual heat index temp.

cab13367
07-22-2010, 03:06 PM
I have a different experience with my 08 XLV in-floor cooler. With no plug and 20lbs of ice, I still have ice after a 8hr day on the lake in 100+ degree temps with 90% humidity...so basically 105-108 degrees actual heat index temp.

Same here - my cooler works just fine. I start with already cold drinks from the garage fridge, throw a bag of ice in there, and I still have ice at the end of the day. Of course, we don't see many 100 degree days here or that many 90 degree days for that matter.

My cooler came with a rubber plug that seals the drain hole perfectly and yes, I use it.

rc5695
07-23-2010, 12:24 PM
I don't have a plug, but will make one tonight since i"m sure it helps. As a reference, 1 20# bag of ice still has a little ice left after a 95 degree day on the lake (~8 hours), and the drinks are plenty cold.

you da man
07-23-2010, 02:03 PM
crack open a bottle of wine and you just made yourself the plug.

Oh for the record, our daily temps average 95/96 degrees with a "real feel" of 102.

I had cold beer for breakfast on one of our mini moomba meetings

I guess the wine cork will work on some boats but not my 08 XLV. The cooler drain and center locker drain holes are bigger than any wine cork I've ever seen