PDA

View Full Version : Wakesurfing Newb Question

walb0244
07-20-2010, 08:55 PM
I was thinking about maybe purchasing a wakesurfing board to have something alittle less demanding. Question being is can you wakesurf when the lake is choppy? Reason I ask is because alot of the time the lake I boat on isn't really smooth. I have only seen it like glass a few times. Most the time when I'm trying to board on weekends and stuff the water has about a 6 to 8" chop going across it. It is alittle more then I like for wakebaording do thought maybe when it was like this I could wakesurf. Any ideas?

you da man
07-20-2010, 09:23 PM
That's when most wakeboarders go surfing...when there's just a little too much chop to make good passes. Rollers are more a problem to surfing than chop.

walb0244
07-20-2010, 10:59 PM
Sweet.......:D

Sled491
07-20-2010, 11:52 PM
It can still suck if there is too much chop, but I agree, a great way to use the lake when the water is less than ideal.

walb0244
07-21-2010, 11:38 AM
I just trying to find something so that if I drag my boat 45 mins to the lake and it is too choppy for boarding then I could surf. Atleast surfing will help with balance and all. Trying to stay away from tubing.

Was looking at a O'brien Alias. This be a good board for a begginer?

you da man
07-21-2010, 04:53 PM
it's a great board for beginners! It was designed by one of Skiers Choice's athletes - Russ Wilde.

Russ coaches wakesurfing and his students use the Alias to learn quickly.

BTW, surfing on choppy water sucks big ones. Give me glass anyday

Who wouldn't want glass to surf on but he was asking about choppy water. Light chop is not an issue, rollers are more of an issue. If you're talking about more than 6" chop, then it does suck

Sled491
07-21-2010, 08:01 PM
6 -8, I'm out.

walb0244
07-24-2010, 08:19 PM
Can I surf with stock ballast on a 2006 Mobius LSV?

kaneboats
07-26-2010, 11:15 AM
You can definitely do it. Better to park a couple big guys on the surf side. You should have 400 in the center and 400 in the surf side locker. Put the wakeplate all the way up and run 9.5-10.5 MPH. You'll find if you upgrade the surf side 400 to a 750 and park a couple guys on that side you will have a wake about as good as anyone's.

Jeffro
07-26-2010, 01:54 PM
I would agree, I have an 07 LSV and 750 in rear locker w/ 400 center generates a nice wake to surf. If you add people, experment moving them around, and remember you need weight in the front to extend the wake. If you are to light in the front then you will need a little wake plate.

walb0244
07-26-2010, 06:29 PM
I don't want to get too over carried away just yet with buying bags and this and that. I was thinking of making a way to be able to move the bag from the non surf side to the surf side. So basically have two ballast sacs in the compartment. I think I can do that pretty cheap. Would give me 800 lbs of ballast in that compartment.

Sled491
07-26-2010, 10:48 PM
That would work but how would you fill it?

walb0244
07-26-2010, 11:15 PM
Right now I have a bag on each side. Both bags have two lines hooked to them. When I move the bag. I will have a pair of hoses that run those lines to the other side of the boat to the new location of the bag. So I will be using the same lines but just run extensions on them to the other side. I looked and the cost of the quick connects and the hose would run me about 25.00 bucks which is alot cheaper then having to deal with buying a bigger bag. Also, it would make it where I can go back to having a bag in each side for wakeboarding. I'm not even to the point of using ballast for wakeboarding yet so don't want to buy more ballast just for surfing.

Sled491
07-27-2010, 09:09 AM
I've surfed behind a Spupra 22 World games with stock ballast 400 400 400. NOt very good. You really do need the extra weight to get the wave to form properly. ALso a bag up front will help lenghten the pocket.

Jeffro
07-27-2010, 11:47 AM
When I first started I tried with a 350lb in the locker and the stock 400lb center. It was not a great wake unless I had several people in the boat. When I purchased the 750lb sack ($149) and put it in the locker it made a lot of difference.

cab13367
07-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Right now I have a bag on each side. Both bags have two lines hooked to them. When I move the bag. I will have a pair of hoses that run those lines to the other side of the boat to the new location of the bag. So I will be using the same lines but just run extensions on them to the other side. I looked and the cost of the quick connects and the hose would run me about 25.00 bucks which is alot cheaper then having to deal with buying a bigger bag. Also, it would make it where I can go back to having a bag in each side for wakeboarding. I'm not even to the point of using ballast for wakeboarding yet so don't want to buy more ballast just for surfing.

Walb,

I wouldn't go thru the trouble. Fill the front and surf side sacks then bring about 8 people and have them all sit on the surf side of the boat. Put the heaviest person on the rear corner seat, the next heaviest next to him, and so on, moving towards the front of the boat. And have the driver stand up on top of the ski locker once the boat is up to speed so that his weight us not counter acting the weight on the surf side. This assume you are surfing on the port side of course.

Oh, and leave the wake plate all the way up, 10 mph.

If you're not happy with the wake, then find a good deal on a 750 lb sac ($150 if new) and a couple of $5 fittings and you will be all set.

Al

walb0244
07-27-2010, 04:55 PM
Ok. Think I will give this a try first. Don't even know if gonna like surfing yet or not. With a moomba can I surf on either side. I wakeboard goofy footed so I'm assuming I'm gonna surf goofy which means will be on the drivers side. Can you surf on that side with Moomba's?

Waynes345
07-27-2010, 05:48 PM
Ok. Think I will give this a try first. Don't even know if gonna like surfing yet or not. With a moomba can I surf on either side. I wakeboard goofy footed so I'm assuming I'm gonna surf goofy which means will be on the drivers side. Can you surf on that side with Moomba's?

I predict you'll love it. I've started about 15 different people so far, and everyone has raved about it. Only problem with you being goofy is switching over for all the regular riders. Have fun.

cab13367
07-27-2010, 06:53 PM

Yes, just do the opposite of what I wrote above (i.e., fill starboard side ballast and put everyone on the starboard side). Except the driver can stay in the driver's seat since that is the surf side for goofy.

walb0244
07-27-2010, 10:32 PM
Yeah I'm goofy. When I'm watching some of the tricks and drills on "The Book" DVD i have to keep in mind and revert everything for me being goofy. I'm goofy and my brother in law that wakeboards with me is goofy as well. Which with wakeboarding no biggie. But with surfing takes awhile to rearrange. So will just make everyone learn goofy. Just kidding. Hahahaha. I'm actually lucking out. A buddy of mine is the one that bought the board. He said he wanted to try it. Told him if he bought the board I would figure the rest out. If we need more ballast will probably split that with him as well. He doesn't have a boat and loves going out.

viking
07-28-2010, 02:39 PM
I was thinking about maybe purchasing a wakesurfing board to have something alittle less demanding. Question being is can you wakesurf when the lake is choppy? Reason I ask is because alot of the time the lake I boat on isn't really smooth. I have only seen it like glass a few times. Most the time when I'm trying to board on weekends and stuff the water has about a 6 to 8" chop going across it. It is alittle more then I like for wakebaording do thought maybe when it was like this I could wakesurf. Any ideas?

Try being a skier looking for smooth water :confused: