PDA

View Full Version : Close but No Cigar

Canuckle Head
07-20-2010, 03:52 PM
Getting closer. I can pass the handle, now I need to work on spotting the landing:
http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww30/wedeh/Watersports/HorneLake070.jpg?t=1279655127
http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww30/wedeh/Watersports/HorneLake071.jpg?t=1279655127
http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww30/wedeh/Watersports/HorneLake072.jpg
http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww30/wedeh/Watersports/HorneLake073.jpg

Canuckle Head
07-20-2010, 03:53 PM
and the last one:
http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww30/wedeh/Watersports/HorneLake074.jpg?t=1279655127

I don't have any more pictures of the sequence but I just couldn't hold on!:oops:

lewisb13
07-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Looks sweet dude! How far back are you?

Canuckle Head
07-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Not sure, I haven't ever really taken a measurement. I'm going back out tonight and will get back to you.

polar21
07-20-2010, 04:12 PM
I dont know if its just me, but the prop wash looks funny in those pics.

jamie_abb
07-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Canuckle Head
07-20-2010, 04:33 PM
I dont know if its just me, but the prop wash looks funny in those pics.

It's because of the FAE

brain_rinse
07-20-2010, 05:11 PM
So close! You'll have it really soon.

Canuckle Head
07-21-2010, 12:58 AM
Looks sweet dude! How far back are you?

Approximately 65ft.

moombabound
07-21-2010, 09:40 AM
Hey what's your setup? My son got spoiled behind a couple of Malibu's and now complains abit about our OBV wake. Got to admit, if he uses the last, or second last loop in the rope, there doesn't appear to be much wake. But yours looks fairly rampy and crisp at the top. Our standard setup is Gravity 1 ballast and plate up and avg 3 people in the boat. I can manually add up to 350/side with the Launch Pads, but it's a pain.

Canuckle Head
07-21-2010, 12:07 PM
Hey what's your setup? My son got spoiled behind a couple of Malibu's and now complains abit about our OBV wake. Got to admit, if he uses the last, or second last loop in the rope, there doesn't appear to be much wake. But yours looks fairly rampy and crisp at the top. Our standard setup is Gravity 1 ballast and plate up and avg 3 people in the boat. I can manually add up to 350/side with the Launch Pads, but it's a pain.

Tell your son that if he doesn't like the wake that he should start saving his money so that he can fork out the extra dough to buy something better! ;)

I am only running the center ballast with the wakeplate all the way up. And there are only two adults in the boat, one of them being my wife who weighs about $.99.

My logic is that if I can work on my takeoffs and focus on getting a good pop on a smaller wake, when I do finally graduate to a larger wake I'll have the skills to take advantage of it.

I don't know how advanced of a rider your son is but my suggestion would be to get a couple of sacs for the rear lockers and that should increase the size of your wake. You could go 400's, 575's or even 750's. If you don't want to plumb them into the boat right away, you can buy an external tsunami pump and manually fill them. Check out www.wakemakers.com to see what's available.

Cheers!

moombabound
07-21-2010, 01:00 PM
Excellent. Just what I needed. Your info, plus the recent post linking to a guy doing a 720 off a Jet Ski double-up, pretty much re-inforces my point to him about him improving his take-off technique. He's mid-level skill, and has saved his money and acquired top notch equipment (so doesn't have an equipment excuse).
Also:
- I've used your "save your money" logic on him, believe me. I need to get a sign made up so I can just flash it, and not repeat myself!
- As mentioned in my prior post, I do have 2x350# Lauch Pads in the lockers, but given the manual fill nuisance I usually only use them for surfing. (I'm a skier, so I have to empty/fill often). I've read carefully the thread(s) of plumbing them in, but have not yet taken the do-it-yourself leap. My local Dealer gave it thought when I inquired, but they don't have a procedure for doing this for me (though a competing Mfr's dealer will). I really do need to get them plumbed in, and likely step up to 400's or better.

Canuckle Head
07-21-2010, 01:59 PM
You should see some of the old videos of guys pulling insane inverts behind direct drives with zero ballast. Proves the point that you don't need a huge wake to do those kinds of tricks.

Yeah, I've been thinking about plumbing in all of my bags but am a little bit nervous to start drilling holes etc. Might be a good winter project but for now I'm having a lot of fun with what I've got.

Tell your son for me that he's darn lucky to have a V-drive to ride behind. I grew up riding behind an old Glastron I/O and couldn't afford a V-Drive of my own untill I was 39. Kids.........

polar21
07-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Hey Moombabound,
Not trying to hijack this thread, but these pics were taken behind our outback. We get plenty high to try any trick that we please, short of doing an S-bend out in the flats.

Canuckle Head
07-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Excellent. Just what I needed. Your info, plus the recent post linking to a guy doing a 720 off a Jet Ski double-up, pretty much re-inforces my point to him about him improving his take-off technique. He's mid-level skill, and has saved his money and acquired top notch equipment (so doesn't have an equipment excuse).
Also:
- I've used your "save your money" logic on him, believe me. I need to get a sign made up so I can just flash it, and not repeat myself!
- As mentioned in my prior post, I do have 2x350# Lauch Pads in the lockers, but given the manual fill nuisance I usually only use them for surfing. (I'm a skier, so I have to empty/fill often). I've read carefully the thread(s) of plumbing them in, but have not yet taken the do-it-yourself leap. My local Dealer gave it thought when I inquired, but they don't have a procedure for doing this for me (though a competing Mfr's dealer will). I really do need to get them plumbed in, and likely step up to 400's or better.

Hey moombabound, if you're not into filling the rear sacs all the time get yourself an integrated bow sac. I was out 2 nights ago with 3 friends and we filled the centre sac and the bow and OMG! Dramatic difference in the size of the wake and the fill time was nominal. (I have a Tsunami pump that you plug into the 12V)

loudsubz
07-24-2010, 09:38 PM
Lookin good man. Try getting more air before you start the spin, you look a little low.

On one of my wakeboard videos the guy always mentions to do a big wake jump first and if you get good air then start the spin.

I tried that and it works much better. You can also try a wrapped 360

loudsubz
07-24-2010, 09:39 PM
Hey moombabound, if you're not into filling the rear sacs all the time get yourself an integrated bow sac. I was out 2 nights ago with 3 friends and we filled the centre sac and the bow and OMG! Dramatic difference in the size of the wake and the fill time was nominal. (I have a Tsunami pump that you plug into the 12V)

How much taller was the wake vs centre and rears?

We have the gravity 3 setup

c.rix
08-02-2010, 05:33 PM
The outback v likes front weight from my experience I have the gravity III system, but had my buddies bow sac up front this weekend and the wake looked noticeably larger

Honestly I have a few buddys that like my OBV wake better than our buds 10' v ride decked out with power wedge they say its like hitting a brick wall too steep and not enough ramp

loudsubz
08-02-2010, 10:14 PM
How much weight does the bow sac add? I filled the centre sac only and had people up front but the wake wasn't as nice as when I had the rears filled too.

deerfield
08-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Hey, Canuckle - I sure liked looking at those pics of you behind your Outback V. I know absolutely nothing about wake boarding other than how to drive, as I am the designated driver for my boys. They try hard, but are not at the point of going wake to wake backward which appears to be your move here. Nicely done. Keep it up. - Deerfield

c.rix
08-03-2010, 01:18 AM
How much weight does the bow sac add? I filled the centre sac only and had people up front but the wake wasn't as nice as when I had the rears filled too.

filled to the top its 1000 but we didn't fill it full we had ~750 in there i bet. We were running the stock 400's front and rear at the same time with 4 people in the boat running about 24 mph

Canuckle Head
08-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Hey, Canuckle - I sure liked looking at those pics of you behind your Outback V. I know absolutely nothing about wake boarding other than how to drive, as I am the designated driver for my boys. They try hard, but are not at the point of going wake to wake backward which appears to be your move here. Nicely done. Keep it up. - Deerfield

Thanks man, I am still falling a lot on this one but now can say I have landed a couple. Started working on my heelside frontside 180 but I hate landing fakey that way. It just doesn't feel natural yet. Talk about bails!

Looks like I need some more trampoline work.........