PDA

View Full Version : Help with first surf board purchase...

jra007
07-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Hey fella's looking to buy my first wakesurf board here soon. Im about 6'2" 190lbs and fairly athletic. A friend has a CWB wakesurf board that i have been using but would like to get my own ride now. Since here in MI the summer season is just about 1/2 over, price/value is a factor in my purchase. Right now im leaning towards the Triple X line since they seem to be resonably priced (58" Composite). Right now i really dont have a skim or surf preference, to be honest at some point i would like to own both style of boards. Any suggestions or input would be great, thanks...J

sandm
07-20-2010, 12:18 PM
no kiddin ed...

I really enjoy my inland surfer 4-skim, but the quad is a real nice board as well. also have a daniello pro model that is a little slower but very responsive..

the triple x boards are nice as well. we have a x-sponsored rider here that loves to bring them out to the lake and let you demo them. hoping on friday :)

jra007
07-20-2010, 12:59 PM
If your ready for the next level, I'd say go with an Inland Surfer Blue Lake Quad.

man, your gonna get a ton of suggestions with this post :)

Yeah IS boards are def. on my radar too.

Since there is really no place to demo boards around here this is the best way for me to hear thoughs on what people ride etc... Keep'em comming. Thanks.

Sled491
07-20-2010, 11:57 PM
Love the IS boards, but my favorite is still my Walker Project board.

you da man
07-21-2010, 12:27 AM
I like my Shred Stixx. I sold my Triple X Composite after 6 weeks of using it. It was very loose and liked to slide alot ( the fin is very short). Just got the IS Squirt

jra007
07-22-2010, 01:42 PM
I like my Shred Stixx. I sold my Triple X Composite after 6 weeks of using it. It was very loose and liked to slide alot ( the fin is very short). Just got the IS Squirt

What kind of fin did the Triple X composite come with, is it a single hole or two hole style?

you da man
07-22-2010, 02:32 PM
What kind of fin did the Triple X composite come with, is it a single hole or two hole style?

Two hole design but it's definately a wakeboard style/shaped fin

Jeffro
07-22-2010, 05:44 PM
I had some good advice from an expert, he told me not to get a long board, sure they are easier to learn on, but in about 2 weeks you will be selling it and purchasing a shorter board so you can do more tricks. We have been surfing for about a month now, and I am thankfull that I took his advice. For under 200 lbs I would get a 52" board, 200-250 I would get a 56" board. We purchased HydroLite boards which were under $300. What a blast!!!!

T100
07-22-2010, 06:25 PM
I pulled the trigger and just bought the Shred Stix, Ja Mako and love it! Great board for anyone and we ride with beginners to experts, everyone loves it. I ride it with just the centre fin in. It holds the wake better then the Inland boards in my opinion. Enjoy the search!

BobP
07-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Where in MI are you? We ride on Long Lake in Cloverdale. If you are near you can try an IS Blue and IS Sweet Spot. The Blue is a great, easy cruising board that lets you carve a bit. It's actually maybe a little to big for me (5'8" 165) but it is still fun. Just got the Sweet Spot last weekend, very fast board. I think it is 4'9" but very wide. Still getting used to it. A friend who is 6'0" 210 can ride it no problem. Also tried a Grindwater Slaysh, did not like it all, very slow board, really need to work it to stay in pocket...big guys would find it almost impossible to ride. Ride a Ronix Koall 5'6" sometimes, nice board, again too big for me...great for big guys. Also rode a Hyperlite Swell, 4'3" I think...very slippery, I don't like that much but owner likes it. He is about my size but bigger guy can ride it also, fast board.

As far as durability, IS are great. The Ronix is made like a true surfboard and it show wear quite easily.

jra007
07-23-2010, 09:12 AM
Where in MI are you? We ride on Long Lake in Cloverdale. If you are near you can try an IS Blue and IS Sweet Spot. The Blue is a great, easy cruising board that lets you carve a bit. It's actually maybe a little to big for me (5'8" 165) but it is still fun. Just got the Sweet Spot last weekend, very fast board. I think it is 4'9" but very wide. Still getting used to it. A friend who is 6'0" 210 can ride it no problem. Also tried a Grindwater Slaysh, did not like it all, very slow board, really need to work it to stay in pocket...big guys would find it almost impossible to ride. Ride a Ronix Koall 5'6" sometimes, nice board, again too big for me...great for big guys. Also rode a Hyperlite Swell, 4'3" I think...very slippery, I don't like that much but owner likes it. He is about my size but bigger guy can ride it also, fast board.

As far as durability, IS are great. The Ronix is made like a true surfboard and it show wear quite easily.

Thanks for the offer... but im on the other side of the state, Waterford area. Thanks for all the tips though... hoping to buy something this weekend!

BobP
07-24-2010, 10:36 AM
No worries. Have you tried Action Water Sports in Fenton? We went to the one in Hudsonville and they had a good selection of boards...they may let you demo. The store in Fenton looks like their flagship location so it might offer more.

jra007
07-26-2010, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I ended up getting the Triple X composite 58" board. Couldnt pass up the price. I only have one ride on it and so far i really like it. Though i did swap out the stock fin with a 2.25" that i had laying around. The stock fin was maybe only 1" and basically useless anytime the board was on edge. Even with 2.25" fin, it still spins fine.

Sled491
07-26-2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I ended up getting the Triple X composite 58" board. Couldnt pass up the price. I only have one ride on it and so far i really like it. Though i did swap out the stock fin with a 2.25" that i had laying around. The stock fin was maybe only 1" and basically useless anytime the board was on edge. Even with 2.25" fin, it still spins fine.

Do i undeerstand you correctly, your doing 3's and you just started wakesurfing?

jra007
07-27-2010, 08:27 AM
I just started surfing this year, so i have a few months under my belt. But i have been wakeboarding for 10yrs, so surfing is not completely "unfamiliar" to me. I just happened to purchase my own surf board over the wknd.

As far as pulling off 3's, generally its a 180 (pause) then another 180. When ever i try to do a 360 all in one movement, most of the time i bail... though a few times i have made it all the way around but i lose the wave n the boat pulls away from me.

Sled491
07-27-2010, 09:14 AM
Still impressive. I bet 90% of the surfers on this board including myself can't do the 180's!

jra007
07-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Still impressive. I bet 90% of the surfers on this board including myself can't do the 180's!

Thx... i got a great tip from a friend that really helped. (im goofy footed, btw). Basically get up riding switch with the board backwards, its difficult at first because there is no fin on the nose, (which is now the tail), and your heels will be against the wave. Get familiar with the loose feeling and dont bother letting go of the rope (save your driver the frustration!)... then try to 180 around which will put you back toes into the wave and fins in the rear. Its easier to 180 into a comfortable position than into an uncomfortable position. After a while you will find that its comfortable (well comfortable-ish) to initiate a 180 from a regular or backwards starting position.

Sled491
07-27-2010, 07:15 PM
Very cool, I'm goofy footed as well so I'll have to try that. Bummer is our lake is 11" over slow no wake, so it will be a while before we can get out again.

Jeffro
08-03-2010, 09:04 AM
We use the hyperlite, 4'4", but you might need a bigger board