PDA

View Full Version : Best Crappy Day

Lawdog
07-20-2010, 01:31 AM
So we go out to the river today which we dont normally do. My wife likes the lakes more. Anyway, my 7 yr. old daughter says she wants to wakeboard so I of course tell her to get ready. Second pull of the day and she's up on her own....I'm stoked. She goes a few more times and gets up with no problems. So now I'm super stoked. Everybody else gets a turn in the boat and my 7 yr old daughter says she wants to surf (No ballast though). Again she pops right up and is able to control the surfboard. I look at my wife and give her the "see aren't you glad we invested the money in the kids board" look. Ok so everything is going great and my daughter wants to go surfing with me at the same time with ballast...No problem. My brother in law takes over the driving and away we go. Well after a couple runs he makes a bonehead move and isn't paying attention to what he is doing, I yell at him to pay attention but too late........CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH is all I heard. He runs my damn boat into the rock bar...I would say sand bar but there wasn't a bit of sand on it, nothing but rocks. Get the boat back to the dock and pull it out of the water to survey the damage, obviously the prop was chewed all to hell and bent but nothing else appeared damaged. I have never chewed a prop up like this, is there anything else I should check for? Any insight would be awesome

patrick232
07-20-2010, 08:41 AM
That's great she's up on the boards. This summer my 8 year old is starting to stay up on the wake board and surf board. He loves the kneeboard.

Did you have to cover the cost of new shoes or purses for the wife after buying the new board? Since my 10 year old opened his mouth and my wife what the new wakeboard with boots, and surfboard cost. I owe her a shopping trip.

One more reason why my brothers never drive my boat.

Razzman
07-20-2010, 09:12 AM
Sorry to hear that. The very reason nobody drives my boat but me or my wife. Even then she'll only drive in familiar waters.

kaneboats
07-20-2010, 10:28 AM
Sorry to hear the bad, but the good sounds awesome! Props are just part of the cost of doing business for this sport. Nobody hurt, daughter was happy. That's what counts.

rc5695
07-20-2010, 12:22 PM
Congrats on the daughter! It is great watching our kids do stuff like this!!!

Sorry to hear about the boat. Hopefully you have a low deductable, then it really doesn't matter the damage as much. Like somebody said, take it somewhere to ge the alignment looked at, otherwise you'll make matters much worse in the long run!

Lawdog
07-21-2010, 12:05 PM
I'm still pretty excited about my daughter being able to do both. As a matter of fact she just asked me when we can go out again. I of course had to explain that the boat is broken right now, she was kinda bummed about it...hahaha.
Any prop suggestions? I looked for the prop testing thread but I couldn't find it. Local Nautique dealer stated I should go with the Acme 14.25x14. It's going to be $550 minus a 25% coupon for the new prop or approx. $200 to try and get the old one fixed if it's fixable.

kaneboats
07-21-2010, 12:08 PM
You can see the test results in the link below. You maybe ought to consider a new prop and also fixing the old one for a spare.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10991&highlight=prop+test+results

MEDIC151
07-21-2010, 12:57 PM
Not to get you down, but I hit a tree in 28 feet of water and just barely bumped it, I thought. The was a severe vibration afterwards and I took it in. The shaft had been bent in the strut housing. You could see that it was off center. The dealer said it was major damage. I didn't have any fiberglass damage, but I needed a new prop, shaft and strut. 3800.00 was the result, but it cost me 500.00. Good as new now. Just take it in and have a pro look at it. Good luck.