PDA

View Full Version : Prestart Checklist

cbboarder
07-19-2010, 07:28 PM
I was wondering if anyone uses a prestart checklist or even has a certain routine they practice before launching. The reason I ask, we've had a few issues with our new boat that has caused some concern and I wondering whether or not we're covering all the basics before boating. For instance this weekend we blew a fuse. After a little research, I noticed all 4 battery cables were loose leading me to believe this is what caused the fuse to blow. I tighened the cables, replaced the fuse and everything was fine. In addition, few weeks back we lost one of the allen head bolts for the tower. Are these things we should be checking everytime we go out?

Thanks in advance.

Greg

maxpower220
07-19-2010, 10:25 PM
After the first 10-20 hours, I went over most of the bolts on the boat. Some were loose, some not. After every season, I re-check the bolts. After I tow a long distance, I check the tower bolts.
I check oil and tranny level about once a month. This has worked for me for 18 yrs.

cab13367
07-19-2010, 10:29 PM
I was wondering if anyone uses a prestart checklist or even has a certain routine they practice before launching. The reason I ask, we've had a few issues with our new boat that has caused some concern and I wondering whether or not we're covering all the basics before boating. For instance this weekend we blew a fuse. After a little research, I noticed all 4 battery cables were loose leading me to believe this is what caused the fuse to blow. I tighened the cables, replaced the fuse and everything was fine. In addition, few weeks back we lost one of the allen head bolts for the tower. Are these things we should be checking everytime we go out?

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Greg,

I would not consider loose battery cables and loose tower hardware part of a "prestart checklist". Those are things that you should check at the start of each boating season and then periodically as needed. My prestart checklist, i.e., things I do before backing the boat down the ramp is (1) did I put the plug in and (2) did I remove the transom straps. That's it. Everything else should be checked before you head out to the lake.

Al

jester
07-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Greg,

My prestart checklist, i.e., things I do before backing the boat down the ramp is (1) did I put the plug in and (2) did I remove the transom straps. That's it. Everything else should be checked before you head out to the lake.

Al

I have to agree with Al. Straps and plug are my big two. I try to check my Oil's every 10 hours or so. I also check my belt and the whole engine area at this time. The tower is looked at every time I wipe down the boat after riding and my tower mirror is check before I start the drive to and from the lake (allready lost one on a road trip). Gas is checked at the end of the day and marked in the truck if i need to get more before the next time out.

brain_rinse
07-19-2010, 11:00 PM
I also check my belt and the whore engine area at this time.
:)

LOL!

rc5695
07-20-2010, 12:29 PM
I just turn the key on and make sure the battery is well charged (nothing was left on), make sure the plug is in, and check that all lifevests are present before leaving the house. On my old boat, an OB, I'd start it before we left the house. It did let me down a few times... Oh, I check fluid levels ~1/month.

kaneboats
07-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Check cooler for beer supply and, oh yeah, check fuel. Fire and go. OOOOOPPPPS! Forgot the plug again!

bjames
07-20-2010, 02:45 PM
Make sure you have your boat key with you... This actually happens once. After checking and double checking everything at the house and driving 1/2 hour to the launch, I then realized that I left my boat keys on the kitchen table:oops:

Razzman
07-20-2010, 02:52 PM
I'm with Al as well. Everything else is done before we head off to the lake. I also keep an extra key hidden on the boat just in case i forget them, which i have once!

cab13367
07-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Make sure you have your boat key with you... This actually happens once. After checking and double checking everything at the house and driving 1/2 hour to the launch, I then realized that I left my boat keys on the kitchen table:oops:

This is why I never take the boat keys out of the ignition :)

cab13367
07-20-2010, 03:00 PM
I'm with Al as well. Everything else is done before we head off to the lake. I also keep an extra key hidden on the boat just in case i forget them, which i have once!

We are getting a little off topic but another spare to carry around is a spare drain plug. After removing the plug, I always put it in the under floor compartment in my SUV's cargo area, except this one time when we were camping and loaded the SUV and then went to pull the boat out. There was too much stuff on top of that storage compartment so I just put the plug in one of the totes. Got home and unloaded everything and forgot the plug was still in the tote. So the next time we went out, the plug stayed in the tote in the garage so I had no plug. Luckily, the bait shop just a couple miles from the boat ramp sold drain plugs (I guess I am not the only one that has forgotten his) so now I have a spare.

Razzman
07-20-2010, 05:11 PM
We are getting a little off topic but another spare to carry around is a spare drain plug. After removing the plug, I always put it in the under floor compartment in my SUV's cargo area, except this one time when we were camping and loaded the SUV and then went to pull the boat out. There was too much stuff on top of that storage compartment so I just put the plug in one of the totes. Got home and unloaded everything and forgot the plug was still in the tote. So the next time we went out, the plug stayed in the tote in the garage so I had no plug. Luckily, the bait shop just a couple miles from the boat ramp sold drain plugs (I guess I am not the only one that has forgotten his) so now I have a spare.

Yep, i have two spare plugs on the boat and know exactly where they are.

wolfeman131
07-20-2010, 07:29 PM
Check cooler for beer supply and, oh yeah, check fuel. Fire and go. OOOOOPPPPS! Forgot the plug again!

ditto with the addition of all the kiddos

cab13367
07-20-2010, 07:38 PM
"This is why I never take the boat keys out of the ignition"

Can we make one exception to this rule?

If you got somebody under your boat cutting the rope off your propellor shaft AND you have kids or stupid neighbors in your boat - let's remove the keys from the ignition

Ed,

I'm with you there. I just meant that I never remove the keys from the time I pull the boat out of the water until I put it back in again. I store my boat in my garage so I never have a reason to. I did that one time a long time ago and forgot the key at home, had to drive an hour round trip to go get it. So now, the key stays in the ignition.

Al

rc5695
07-22-2010, 12:29 PM
my key is always in the ignition too...

kaneboats
07-22-2010, 12:39 PM
Ed,

I'm with you there. I just meant that I never remove the keys from the time I pull the boat out of the water until I put it back in again. I store my boat in my garage so I never have a reason to. I did that one time a long time ago and forgot the key at home, had to drive an hour round trip to go get it. So now, the key stays in the ignition.

Al

You can hotwire the ign switch in about 3 sec. I'd never drive an hour for a key. I keep spares on the truck, boat, bicycle.

cab13367
07-22-2010, 03:11 PM
You can hotwire the ign switch in about 3 sec.

How? And you know how to do this why?? :)

kaneboats
07-22-2010, 04:06 PM
Look at the wires that plug on the back of your ign switch. All the switch does is connect one (ign) and connect two briefly (starter). You can turn the ign "on" and then just touch to crank.

Never owned an old Ford, did you? I am always amazed at how many guys have started a Ford with the tire iron.

jester
07-22-2010, 05:47 PM
"This is why I never take the boat keys out of the ignition"

Can we make one exception to this rule?

If you got somebody under your boat cutting the rope off your propellor shaft AND you have kids or stupid neighbors in your boat - let's remove the keys from the ignition

I do not know about you but If i am under the boat in the water I pull that nice little red cord. Only had to go under once when i thought I picked up someones anchor line with my prop but I did not.