PDA

View Full Version : goodyear marathon trailer tires

rvette
07-17-2010, 07:46 PM
Had a blowout on one of these tires today. Doing research online for repalcements and have found info that these tires have had issues with blowouts. Before I replace it, wanted to see if anyone else has had blowout issues with the same tire. If so, did you contact a goodyear dealer and what did they say or do for you.
Also, what brands have other used when replacing trailer tires.

Thanks!!!

mnpracing
07-18-2010, 09:46 PM
I replaced my marathons with Carlisle E rated tires. My marathons were cracking and had slight bulges on the sidewalls after only two seasons, and it's stored indoors during the week.

iwakeboard
07-19-2010, 09:37 AM
I've had two blowouts on Goodyear Marathon trailer tires, including one about a month ago. I've replaced them all but one with a different brand, the one I didn't replace was the one I put on last year after the first blowout.

rvette
07-19-2010, 05:23 PM
mnpracing- how did going from d rated to e rated work out for you? Were there any issues getting them to fit properly on the rims?

mnpracing
07-19-2010, 06:51 PM
rvette - no issues at all. Tires are same size. I notice less flexing in the sidewalls, especially on roads where the trailer bounces a bit over bumps. The marathons used to flex quite a bit, and that made me nervous. When I write "flex" what i mean is squish, if that makes sense.

maxpower220
07-19-2010, 10:30 PM
When you replace the tires, make sure that you replace the tires with trailer specific tires. I believe that most tires are pretty well made. Tires (and trailers) are usually neglected in that most people take it for granted that you hook up and go. There is no telling how old, what inflation, or what weight the trailer had on it in all of those "blow outs" on the internet.

A good tire with low air pressure can overheat and fail in about 10 miles.

Good luck.

mnpracing
07-20-2010, 12:07 AM
maxpower - most tires may be pretty well made, but Marathons (in my experience) are not. I check tire pressure every two weeks unless visibly low. The marathons that were on my OBV trailer were cracking and bulging at two years. That seems premature to me. I've never tried Carlisles, but I did this time to see how they hold up compared to marathons. If marathons are the standard for trailer tires, that's pretty sad.

iwakeboard
07-20-2010, 08:48 AM
mnpracing, exact same here, I had cracking around where the sidewall meets the tread in less than two years.

rvette
07-20-2010, 11:44 AM
I saw the same sidewall issue on my 06 at the beginning of this year but tire tread was like new. I made sure pressures were at the appropriate level but it still blew out on my second trip of the year. The tires also flex alot. Glad to hear that going up to e range helped that. My other concern is how the tires match up to the roadway. My wheels appear to be "bowed out" at the bottom as though there is too much weight on them. I never load up my boat for trips and even try to make sure I have less than a half tank of gas to lighten the load, but it always looks the same. Is that common on a single axle trailer?

mnpracing
07-20-2010, 12:34 PM
My tires are wearing fairly evenly. When I come off the highway, from looking at the color of the tread (blackest where it contacts the pavement) it looks like it's riding evenly across the tread, maybe slight negative camber but very slight. I have a Single axle.

LSM
07-21-2010, 01:45 PM
My Marathons were also bad. I have an 06 LSV. Those tires always buldged no matter the air pressure. They were load range D. In my opinion that is not enough tire for a LSV sitting on a single axle. After one of mine blew out this summer I went to the load range E Carlisle radial trailer tire. They seem to do much much better. Size wise they are the same except they are a stronger tire with a heavier side wall.

Also, someone mentioned above that their tires appear to lean in or out when the boat is on the trailer. I had that issue last summer and the axle broke soon there after. Make sure you contact Boat Mate trailers if your tires/ wheels lean in or out when loaded. The axle is likely bad. They know about this issue....

mnpracing
07-21-2010, 03:54 PM
LSM - who was the manufacturer of the axle that failed? I called SC with my axle ID number (Reliable is the manufacturer), and Jerry said that its not the Reliable axle that had the issue. I don't remember the name of the one that did though.

LSM
08-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Sorry been busy the past few weeks....

I don't recall the manufacturer of the failed axle either....

AaronWhitt82
08-04-2010, 01:56 AM
I just bought some of these today to replace the Marathon's that are on my trailer now. I believe the original Goodyear's are on their now, but not positive. The tires are dry rotting and cracking bad between the tread. If they are 11 years old then they sure got full use out of them !!!
I paid $184 for 2 tires with shipping.

K_E_N
08-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Also, someone mentioned above that their tires appear to lean in or out when the boat is on the trailer. I had that issue last summer and the axle broke soon there after. Make sure you contact Boat Mate trailers if your tires/ wheels lean in or out when loaded. The axle is likely bad. They know about this issue....

After reading some recent posts about the Boat Mate axle issues, I closely examined mine and noticed some negative camber. I contacted BoatMate with my concern along with serial numbers of the trailer and axle. They assured me that they design some negative camber into the axles of single axle trailers and that was NOT necessarily an early sign of failure. I guess now I'll just have to wait for mine to break before properly adressing the issue............sorry about the post hijack.

NewmbaTX
08-12-2010, 03:16 AM
I just bought some of these today to replace the Marathon's that are on my trailer now. I believe the original Goodyear's are on their now, but not positive. The tires are dry rotting and cracking bad between the tread. If they are 11 years old then they sure got full use out of them !!!
I paid $184 for 2 tires with shipping.

"some of these"? What tires did you get?

I went all over town and the Internet looking for a good deal and or better tires. Nobody locally carried much and the web desks seemed sketchy never know what you might get ! Let us know what you got and how they hold up!

I had original Marathons on my '04 trailer. Thought they looked ok. Good tread and some cracking.,. Blewout one on a 70 mile trip in the middle of the night! Sucks!