PDA

View Full Version : Dash board is dead

rq69
08-09-2004, 06:39 PM
I have a 99 outback ls with < 100 hours on it and the 350 carbureted motor. I went to start it none of the electronic gauges (tach,oil,temp,volt..etc) are working. The motor does run and the radio and rocker switches operate.
I believe I have traced the problem to a black box mounted on the drivers side kick wall that has the markings "Medallion MDC-1600" on it. Can anyone tell me what that is?
Thanks,

Bill

Catdog1
08-10-2004, 01:24 PM
Again, found this in the archives, searching "black box" and selecting the feature that forces the search to match all terms, not just "black" or "box"

pjtatro

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 2000 Kamberra and have recently started having problems with my speedo and Tach. They have become intermittent, actually more off than on. I was told the Black Box might be the problem. I understand that the Black Box manufacturer is covering these because there were lots of issues with them. Who can I contact to get a new box, it looks pretty easy to install so I would prefer to not have to go to the dealer for a 10 minute intall.

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brian Raymond

Boat Boy

There were some issues with some of the M.D.C. units that year. Yes, the install is easy, yet ,you still have to go through your dealer. I suggest you notify your dealer of your issues, give them the barcoded number off of the box, and have them order one for you. Work out with the dealer to ship you the box when they receive it, and send them back yours. The dealer will need that number to verify it is under warranty, and remember, the work you do is not warrantable.Brian Raymond

gaugeman

It is very important befor replacing the box a new ground and battery are required to power the MDC. Cutting the wires under the dash that supply the MDC box and splice wire directly to the batter post. That will solve most of the problems and you may not need the box.

rq69
08-10-2004, 06:29 PM
Thanks much!

fredv
09-30-2004, 09:57 PM
I have the same problem with my 2000 moomba mobius, mechanically, everything works but the gauges. checked to make sure voltage was running to the wire harness marked for gauges..checked ok. someone mentioned something about a black box. i couldn't find it, removed the kicked panel and didn't see it either. any ideas? thanks all for the advice thus far...

NH Moomba
10-05-2004, 09:09 PM
I think I am having the same problem with my 2000 LS. It only has 87 hours on it and sometimes the whole dash goes dead. It seems to come and go. It wasn't enough of a problem to fix it during the summer but I would like to get it taken care of now that the season is over. A previous thread mentions the black box is on the drivers side kick wall but I don't see it. I believe there is a box that fits the description located in the back near the blower. Would this be covered as well? I bought the boat second hand.

Andy

NH Moomba
05-01-2005, 09:22 PM
Here is an update on my dead dashboard. I contacted the local dealer and the MDC controller is not covered and would cost 300 bucks for a new one. I decided I might as well pry the box open and take a look around. The 2 connectors were extremely corroded where they are soldered to the PCB. I used some flux remover to no avail and ended up wire brushing the corrosion off and then resoldering the leads. I sealed it up again with a bead of silicone caulking around the perimeter. I don't know yet if this solved the problem since it was so intermittant but I am hopeful.

plumcrazy
05-02-2005, 07:56 PM
Andy,
Who is your dealer? Gillan Marine? If so what has your experience with him?
BTW, resoldering can make a big difference with a coroded joint. It's a pretty common trick on old Volvo relays and can save big bucks. I have not had a problem yet with my 2000 Outback (knocking on wood). Where is this black box located?

Dave

"The sun will come out, tomorrow......"

NH Moomba
05-03-2005, 07:04 PM
Hey Plum, you are right, the dealer is Ernie Gillan. I haven't really had much Moomba dealing with them since I bought my boat in NC. He was way overpriced on a used 99 Outback I test drove there. I have dealt with them over the years with our various I/O's as they are closest marina to our place. They seem honest and friendly. The black box is located behind a carpeted wall in the rear ski locker next to the (piece of crap)Attwood blower on my LS. I am really betting that cleaning the corrosion off did the trick . The pins were covered in a white fuzz that was probably shorting things out. I re-flowed the solder for extra measure. A friend who is a into marine electronics says that the box communicates to the Teleflex dashboard through a serial bus originally designed for GPS systems to talk to helm controllers.

Andy

04-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Hey NH Moomba or anyone else,

Did the re-soldered connection fix the dead dash problem? I have a 2000 Mobius that had the dash go dead several times last season. It only happened a few times and only lasted less than a minute, but I would like to not have it happen again. Can anybody offer anything?

Thanks,
Jman

Jman
04-13-2006, 02:37 PM
Did the solder job fix the intermittent dead dash? I've got the same problem and would like to fix it.

Thanks,
Jman

NH Moomba
04-13-2006, 09:57 PM
I thought the soldering worked for a while but alas not for long. I will need to buy a new one in a few weeks when the shrink wrap comes off. Here is a link I found somewhere where I think you can buy it directly:

http://www.medallionis.com/products/products.cfm?proID=10053&subnav=recreation&catID=2 1&type=modules

Wolf-
04-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by NH Moomba
I thought the soldering worked for a while but alas not for long. I will need to buy a new one in a few weeks when the shrink wrap comes off. Here is a link I found somewhere where I think you can buy it directly:

http://www.medallionis.com/products/products.cfm?proID=10053&subnav=recreation&catID=2 1&type=modules

So the geek in me wants to ask, how do I hook a laptop to this thing and record all the data???

Catdog1
04-14-2006, 04:12 AM
Or just bypass it.

How much does this thing cost?

What exactly does it do? Convert oil pressure data and rpm data to milliamp or voltage signals for those gauges? Is there another way?

DOCDRS
04-17-2006, 11:00 PM
call medallion they're great and your dash will be working for about 275 ...price of having a ski boat........make sure you disconnect the speedo lines