PDA

View Full Version : Tinting?

Eric Z
07-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Has anyone done window tinting? How hard is it to do? I was hoping to try it myself...

rc5695
07-14-2010, 12:35 PM
If you've never done it before, don't try it on a boat!!! The curved glass is extremely difficult to do! If you decide to tackle it, just make sure you try it on a flat window first.

Also keep in mind the glare you'll get on the inside. Tinting boats seems to be a love-hate thing, one or the other. Personally i can't stand it, although it looks awesome usually!

jester
07-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Newty has done it. I think he posted on the process. I do not remember if he went in to do it or did it himself.

sailing217
07-14-2010, 12:59 PM
A very good tinter couldn't do the curve on my glass even after pulling the glass out. He's done many nautiques but couldn't do my centurion. I called my long time car tinter and he got it done perfectly.

I would not even try myself. tough job

aiden_1
08-10-2010, 09:37 AM
I was wanting to tint the windows in my 10 outback as well. I think that it looks awesome. How hard is it to get the windows out?

lewisb13
08-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Its fairly involved. I was looking at the windows on my 05 LSV and theres that weather stripping all the way around the window that would make it tough to keep any gaps from being visible. Youd almost want to take that out somehow, tint the window, and then reinstall it. The curved glass thing isnt that ridiculous. You just need to put the tint on the outside, cut it to size, let all the pockets form and hit it with a heat gun (not a hair dryer) to get all the "fingers" out. Then peel the tint apart and apply to inside of window and repeat with heat gun if any fingers appear. You need to do it in the extreme sun so it dries quickly and youd probably have to baby it a tad more than a car as far as standing there for an hour making sure no pockets form. Just my $.02.

viking
08-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Newty has done it. I think he posted on the process. I do not remember if he went in to do it or did it himself.

He does have a post. Search "tint" or "boat mods" and the like. You'll find a ton of info. and several pictures. You'll more than likely need to remove the windows to get it done right. I've done alot of tint jobs and I wouldn't tackle my boat. I'd remove the glass and have a professional tinter do the job and then I'd re-install. Good luck!

newty
08-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Getting them in and out isn't that bad. The tinting itself is the pain in the arse.