PDA

View Full Version : outback,outback LS???

fred0k
08-09-2004, 12:02 PM
We are look at the moomba outback or the outback LS.What is the differants??We well be useing the boat mostly for wakeboarding "not sking"and pleasure boating.The price leads me to a mid-motor vs a motor in the rear.Will it work for wakeboarding or do I just need to save alittle long to get a motor in the back type boat????

MartyC
08-09-2004, 12:15 PM
The regular Outback is a tournament style ski boat. Much better for skiing than wakeboarding. The LS has a deeper hull and would be better for wakeboarding. I have the regular Outback and primarily ski. From what I understand the direct drive (non-V drive) LS can throw a pretty good wake for wakeboarding. I think it is the same hull as the Mobius just without all the wakeboarding bells and whistles.

Lake Bound
08-09-2004, 02:18 PM
If you are going wakeboarding buy the LS. I have a 2002 Outback LS and it is a fantastic boat. Much more room in the LS and it rides much better in rougher water. Look luck with the boat search.

jburnside
08-11-2004, 11:34 AM
fred0k,
Of the two boats you mentioned the Outback LS would be the better choice IMO. The boat does ride on a more multi-purpose hull than the straight Outback (mentioned earlier, a core slalom boat). I own a 2003 Outback LS and the boat does work well for my family who does not have anyone trying to throw any inverted tricks yet. But understand, if you are a progressing boarder you will most likely want to upgrade to a V-drive configuration. In order to throw a big clean wake from the Outback LS you need to weight it more than the factory balast will allow. This causes you to either redo the factory ballast set-up or to add additional sacs on the floor next to the motor and in the walk-thru to the open bow. If you intend to just wakeboard, saving a little longer to get a more specific boat might make sense. Good luck.

fred0k
08-11-2004, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the input.Looks like the outback LS may be the boat I need to look into.
I really don't want "afford" a v-drive.So,what specific boat would be better for wakeboarding?

jburnside
08-12-2004, 09:13 AM
fred0k,
Certainly the Outback LS is the boat I would recommend of the two you mentioned. Not sure how you intend to outfit your Outback/Outback LS. But I would like to offer this to you... buy the boat optioned the way you want it. Don't leave options out just because you think you can live without them. If you want to wakeboard, option the boat out to do that. My wife and I purchased our Outback LS thinking we would not get into wakeboarding as much as we have. We ordered the boat with no ballast, no tower, and the carbureted 310 hp motor. We also ordered the boat with a single axle trailer thinking we would not really trailer the boat very far. Since our purchase, we have put probably 6000 miles on our trailer (the rig is only a year old). Don't get me wrong, we love our boat and use it 2-4 days a week, I just wish now that we would have optioned it out. We have since added aftermarket ballast bags and pumps, a "Monster Tower" wakeboard tower, wakeboard racks, tower bimini, and we are now looking at tower speakers and a light bar. Not much I can do now to switch over to an EFI motor or a tandem axle trailer. Those will certainly happen on our next Moomba... maybe Supra? Good luck.

MEDIC151
08-12-2004, 10:45 AM
I bought a new 02 Outback LS and primarily wakeboard. I have twin teenage boys that are into every water sport there is and as yet, have no problems with the boat in regards to ability to perform in all the categories. I have the factory ballast and cage with aftermarket speakers and racks. With the ballast full and 6-8 people in the boat, the wake is almost too big for the boys at their experience level and certainly makes it interesting for me. Not being as young and invincible as I thought I was, makes for some funny wipe outs and tough recovery days for me. I am happy with the boat, but when i get a new one, I think that a V-Drive is my next purchase not only for the wake, but for the room it allows. I don't think I ever go to the lake without a full boat.

Medic