PDA

View Full Version : Wouldn't Crank and Weird??

FamilyMatters
07-12-2010, 08:22 PM
I have a 09 Outback with 50 hours have had not a hint of a problem. After Boarding and Skiing all weekend without a glitch, I got in the boat to go rescue my wife who was paddling down the lake on a Stand up Surf Board.
I cranked it quick without letting in prime completely and it cranked O.K but cut out when I gave it throttle. I tried 50 times(Normal exaggeration) but it would not stay cranked. It even got to where the Starter would stick and just continue to engage til you turned it off! I gave up and went to take a friends boat! I came back 15 minutes and it cranked up and ran like a dream! Anyone ever had that happen? Any guesses? I guess I should go ahead and take it in to have it checked though I hate to forfeit my boat even for a weekend.

Thanks for Considering!!!

Darren

patrick232
07-12-2010, 09:14 PM
How hot was it out? We vapor locked on wednesday with the temps in the upper 90's. It was after running the boat for a hour up river then shutting down for lunch. Cold water on the fuel filter and fuel pump and it will fire in 5-10 minutes or let it cool and run your blower for around 30 minutes to get the hot air out of the engine area.

Hoopskier
07-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Flooded maybe? Due to low fuel pressure-lack of time for priming. Just throwing an idea out there. Is this the first incident? If so, I maybe wouldn't be to jumpy to take it to the dealer right away. If you can't reproduce the problem the likelyhood of them finding something wrong is probably pretty slim. Then a waste of a weekend and cash. If all is good and good for a while I would let it go and consider it a fluke. If the problems continue then go ahead and take it in.

To address vapor lock issue, his post doesnt say that he was driving at all. Just states the boat was previously running fine. I guess we need more info.

wolfeman131
07-12-2010, 09:33 PM
looks like you have a 2009, so I think that would have EFI and be tough to flood. I have a 2008 OBV and got vapor locked twice over the long, Holiday weekend. patrick gave you the right tips to get it fixed.

We were out for two hours or more & runnning hard, then had it on the lift at the house for at least an hour and it still vapor-locked. It was very hot in the engine compartment and took about 20 mins to cool down & fire up. I have a new practice on the lift of popping up the engine hatch & running a fan blowing into the engine compartment to try and keep things cool & running.

FamilyMatters
07-12-2010, 11:09 PM
We had been Running hard for a couple of hours (Still in the 90's on Lake Sinclair, GA) but it had been parked for more than an hour! The lake water was about 95 all weekend, and did not have any problem on the hottest days.

Thanks for the Quick reply's from All!

Peace
Darren

wolfeman131
07-13-2010, 12:54 PM
Darren - where were you on Sinclair & what color is your boat? We have a place in the Island Creek area and there were a few of us Moomba board members out there this past weekend. Blue LSV, Sandrock LSV, Blue LS & Blue OBV. You'll have to join us at our Sinclair mini-Jam next year.

FamilyMatters
07-13-2010, 07:03 PM
Moomba Forums Friends come in First and Indmar a Close Second!!!

I posted this last night and got answers immediately that it was Vapor Lock.

I e-mailed Indmar at 11:05 last Night and got this answer at 7:12 this A.M.

The starter was not sticking. That is a feature called auto-start. The starter will engage and crank till the engine starts or for a max of 15 seconds ... whichever comes first.

You may have had a slight case of vapor lock. Ethanol laced fuel and hot weather combined with well sealed bilge areas can sometimes allow the fuel in the fuel line between the tank and pump to vaporize and the pump doesn't like to pump vapor. I suggest that you use Marine Sta-bil in your fuel all of the time. It also helps to let your engine idle for a few minutes before shutting it off after working it hard and to leave your bilge blower running even after shutting off the engine to bring cooler air into the engine compartment.

Larry Engelbert
Indmar Service

Pretty good but didn't beat the Moomba Forum!

Thanks to All!! Got some Blue Stabil Today!

Darren

FamilyMatters
07-13-2010, 07:13 PM
Drew,
I have a Gray & Lime Green Outback, and I wanted to come to the Mini-Jam but was traveling down with our small group from church, and they couldn't leave til 3:00 P.M. on Saturday and we got there about 5:00. We stay at a friends place close to twin bridges, but came to your side of the lake on Sunday. Two Bridges and collapsing the tower 4 times, makes one think twice about that trip! I hope to come next year! (I'll put in at Chobys) I wanted to put a face with the names of some of the guys on the forum!!

Thanks for the response, you were right on!

Peace
Darren

wolfeman131
07-13-2010, 08:46 PM
Yep, we looked at a few homes over there, but didn't want to hassle with the bridges. Let me know next time you head out to Sinclair and we'll plan to meet up. We're down there about every weekend.

kaneboats
07-14-2010, 11:28 AM
We'll all look forward to meeting you next year!