PDA

View Full Version : Will I notice a difference from a OJ 14.25x14 vs. Acme 14.5x14.25?

jetpilot2002
07-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Will I feel and see a big difference between these two props and if so, what would the differences be? I have to OJ, since that is the stock prop my boat came with and I have heard a lot of good things about the Acme and want to hear what you guys think.
________
VAPIR OXYGEN VAPORIZER (http://oxygenvaporizer.com)

moombadaze
07-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Dont think you see or feel a big difference, just so very minor to where its not worth it. Now, I do think you will hear a big difference if your boat is a 06-10 LSV.

jetpilot2002
07-13-2010, 01:28 AM
Well let me re-phrase the question, I currently have the OJ 14.25x14 on my boat and just bought a acme 14.5x14.25 as a back up prop and I was wondering if I should run the acme and have the OJ as the back up prop. I want to run the better of the two props.

you da man
07-13-2010, 09:15 AM
The Acme 1235 is the prop that most people use that run alot of ballast. My friend has it on his SANTE and it is slightly louder as I've heard the same for the Moombas. It reportedly does have less vibration that the OJ. It will get you alot more torque. There was a member on here that I PM'd that said he kept about the same top speed. However, when a couple members on here did a prop test some months back, they used an Outback V, LSV, and an XLV. They did test the Acme 1235 on the XLV but their results have me puzzled. They posted that the top speed was 48mph which seems way too high for a prop that is designed to have more torque. Also, my buddy with SANTE said his fuel economy went down some. I would call Acme, those guys have great customer service or call Nettles Props in Austin, they are by far the most popular prop shop on these forums and will answer any questions on the phone.

kaneboats
07-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Throw it on there and find out for yourself. It may be a personal thing. I happen to like my prop better than a lot of others do for my own reasons (13.75 x 17).

sandm
07-13-2010, 10:45 AM
I don't think that anyone is going to notice the minute differences between those 2 props. they are so closely matched that the performance differences would be minimal. not to start a debate again tho, try the acme and the oj both and see which one offers less noise and vibration and I'll bet you find which one will be the regular and which one will be the spare..

you da man
07-13-2010, 10:53 AM
I would also say just swap them out, it's an easy job with the prop puller. Then let me know because I have the same boat. Even with 3000lbs of surf ballast and 4 people in the boat the OJ does not struggle on my XLV.

jetpilot2002
07-13-2010, 11:42 AM
However, when a couple members on here did a prop test some months back, they used an Outback V, LSV, and an XLV. They did test the Acme 1235 on the XLV but their results have me puzzled. They posted that the top speed was 48mph which seems way too high for a prop that is designed to have more torque.

It had me confused also, more torque and also a higher top speed? I need to get some time put aside so I can try both of the props, I guess with the acme being .25 bigger in diameter and also .25 in pitch that it would a different performing prop then the OJ.
________
BMW CONCEPT X6 ACTIVEHYBRID (http://www.bmw-tech.org/wiki/BMW_Concept_X6_ActiveHybrid)

you da man
07-13-2010, 12:03 PM
It had me confused also, more torque and also a higher top speed? I need to get some time put aside so I can try both of the props, I guess with the acme being .25 bigger in diameter and also .25 in pitch that it would a different performing prop then the OJ.

Nettles Props is only an hour from me and when I stopped by they said they are similar performing props and that you can tell the difference. The owner of the XLV they used in the prop test said in his PM that the Acme pulled better with ballast and gained top speed. Fuel economy would be my concern since I do alot of surfing

GeauxTigers
08-26-2010, 09:05 AM
Acme 1235 vs. Acme 1433. I live and boat mostly in Utah in high altitude lakes (anywhere from 4000-7000 feet above sea level). Which of these two props will perform better? My dealer says the 1235 is the way to go but it's about $70 more than the 1433. His prices are right on the money with what Nettles is asking.

thesack
08-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Last year I made the switch from the OJ 14.25x14 to the Acme 14.5x14.25 on my Supra. I run approximately 2700 lbs of ballast while wakeboarding. My boat with the OJ prop would take between 16-20 seconds to get on plane. The Acme prop takes roughly 7-9 seconds. Since last year I was the only one who ever really surfed on my boat I have no idea if there was a time difference for getting on plane. I havent really noticed a full consumption difference. But if the Acme does cause me to consume more fuel I will gladly exchange the cost of the extra fuel for safety that getting on plane faster which allows me to see what is a head. I would definetly use the Acme as your main prop and the OJ as your backup.

deafgoose
08-26-2010, 10:21 AM
I have owned the OJ 14x14.25 for 2 years now. I just recently hit a log so I purchased the Acme 1235. I will be installing it this weekend so I will post up a review. :)

The OJ has a growl/vibration from 8-12mph and the Acme does not for whatever reason. I had the OJ rebuilt but that will be my backup prop now.

lewisb13
08-26-2010, 10:44 AM
WHat does the 1235 cost?

deafgoose
08-26-2010, 11:00 AM
WHat does the 1235 cost?

Depends on where you get it from.

I got mine on eBay for $267 USD shipped to Canada.

It was taken off a brand new boat so it was technically considered used. :p

you da man
08-26-2010, 11:06 AM
WHat does the 1235 cost?

Call Nettles Props in Austin, TX, JT has the best prices on any prop and is well known on all the boat and wakeboard forums for his service, prices, and advice.

GeauxTigers
08-26-2010, 12:05 PM
Call Nettles Props in Austin, TX, JT has the best prices on any prop and is well known on all the boat and wakeboard forums for his service, prices, and advice.

Nettles does have the best price.... I think it was $523.00 with free ground shipping. I am still curious as to what you guys think between the Acme 1433 and the 1235. Which will work best for me at high altitude?

deafgoose
08-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Nettles does have the best price.... I think it was $523.00 with free ground shipping. I am still curious as to what you guys think between the Acme 1433 and the 1235. Which will work best for me at high altitude?

The only reason to get the 1433 over the 1235 would be due to the lack or clearance when the boat is on the trailer.

cab13367
08-26-2010, 02:52 PM

jetpilot,

Please do the forum a favor and run some timed tests on both props, back to back, as there is a lot of interest on these two props. Below is a link to my prop test spreadsheet to give you an idea on what to test, but feel free to do it your way. Just make sure you run the tests as identically as possible.

Thanks much!

Al

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10810&highlight=prop+test+results

jetpilot2002
08-26-2010, 06:47 PM
jetpilot,

Please do the forum a favor and run some timed tests on both props, back to back, as there is a lot of interest on these two props. Below is a link to my prop test spreadsheet to give you an idea on what to test, but feel free to do it your way. Just make sure you run the tests as identically as possible.

Thanks much!

Al

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10810&highlight=prop+test+results

If someone will let me borrow there prop puller I will do the test this coming weekend. I have the OJ still on my boat and the Acme sitting in the garage.
________
Racing F1 (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_Racing_F1)

deafgoose
08-26-2010, 07:01 PM
If someone will let me borrow there prop puller I will do the test this coming weekend. I have the OJ still on my boat and the Acme sitting in the garage.

Sick!

I would love to see the results!! :cool:

jasonwm
08-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Anyone that is interested in testing props back-to-back on their own boat is welcome to take advantage of our demo program so you can see how they actually work based on your needs.

Contact me if you want more information.

cab13367
08-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Anyone that is interested in testing props back-to-back on their own boat is welcome to take advantage of our demo program so you can see how they actually work based on your needs.

Contact me if you want more information.

Tried to call u but got put on hold for 15 minutes and finally gave up.

deafgoose
08-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Tried to call u but got put on hold for 15 minutes and finally gave up.

Ouch. :rolleyes:

jasonwm
08-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Hmm, not sure why that would have happened, but give us a ring back if you're still interested, 888-543-8846 is the number for our props division.