PDA

View Full Version : Today, I officially HATE my Moomba!!!!!

fastlx
07-11-2010, 03:28 PM
It is a great day here in the Pacific NW. Got the family and a couple of my girls friends up early to head out to the lake. Also, another family coming out to spend the day with us. All is good....Now the bad. My youngest gets a nice set in on the wakeboard. Then, I get a good set in, and then my oldest gets up and is on her way. She falls off and I turn the boat around to get her and the boat dies. I crank it back over and it starts after a few trys. As soon as I put it in gear and give it some gas....it dies. It will crank over, but no start. I got lucky and a very nice guy pulled me back to the launch. About 20 minutes after we were being pulled, I started the boat and it fired, but when I put it in neutral and gave it gas, it died. So, anyone know what it could be? It is a 2008 LS with 38.8 hours on it. I know its under warranty, but I want to try and lead the guys at the shop. Oh and a big thanks to the guy in the Bayliner 175 that was fishing who pulled me and my family in!! He would not take any money, so I threw $40 inside his boat and told him lunch/beer/gas/whatever was on me. Thanks for any help or insight you can give..............I want to like my Moomba, but this is the second time in as many years that it has stranded me:(

jmvotto
07-11-2010, 05:47 PM
vapor lock, maybe fuel filter plugged or water intake plugged. did it have a high temp above 160 when it quit?

fastlx
07-11-2010, 05:48 PM
The temp looked good, maybe a bit higher than normal, but looked ok. I am going to call the dealer tomorrow, but that does not fix the ruined day today!

Razzman
07-11-2010, 10:22 PM
Unfortunately that's part of boating and it happens to the best of us and all brands. I saw Malibus and Mastercrafts both being towed in today. The good part is the great days you'll have as well.

As far as insight goes with modern boats it could be almost anything from vapor lock as said to electronics.

you da man
07-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Sorry for your issues, hopefully it's a simple fix but the bad part of boating is being stranded and needing to get towed. You always seem to feel guilty if a stranger tows you in because you feel you've taken time from their day. I hope the boating Gods are keeping score as I've towed two people in this year already.

Jon
07-11-2010, 11:28 PM
Seems to be an issue with your Indmar engine and not your Moomba boat.

NewmbaTX
07-12-2010, 02:53 AM
I'm begining to hate my Moomba, too!!! Not for any engine troubles (knock on wood, none so far), but because it is TOO easy to get water from waves over the bow!! Also its stablity on rougher water is odd! (First Moomba, first wakeboat, new to the design for me and trying to get used to it) Ruin of my weekend!!!! Was traveling 22 mile in rough river waters with 4000 Boats!! Had a JERK in a 34ft cut across in front of me and dropped head in a wave and took in 10in water in the WHOLE boat!!! Luckily the bilge pump worked fast for the most of it then for some reason slowwed down flow, but we got back to dock!! It was freakin nuts out there...NOT doing the Aquapalooza thing again a Lake Travis...they are right...Austin is weird!LOL

skiyaker
07-12-2010, 06:58 AM
I'm begining to hate my Moomba, too!!! Not for any engine troubles (knock on wood, none so far), but because it is TOO easy to get water from waves over the bow!! Also its stablity on rougher water is odd! (First Moomba, first wakeboat, new to the design for me and trying to get used to it) Ruin of my weekend!!!! Was traveling 22 mile in rough river waters with 4000 Boats!! Had a JERK in a 34ft cut across in front of me and dropped head in a wave and took in 10in water in the WHOLE boat!!! Luckily the bilge pump worked fast for the most of it then for some reason slowwed down flow, but we got back to dock!! It was freakin nuts out there...NOT doing the Aquapalooza thing again a Lake Travis...they are right...Austin is weird!LOL

I had a friend buy a Tige because the dealer told him it's a "dry boat" well sure enough if you drive it incorrectly you can take water over the bow on his boat too. When I first got my OBV last year I did it several times while surfing before I got the hang of it; haven't taken water over the bow once this year. I was out on Lake Barkley- passed a 40 ft sea ray with a little excitement but kept the nose up and took the rollers at a slight angle=no water.

jmvotto
07-12-2010, 08:39 AM
tough with those big big boats. this spring we rented a potton baot to cruiz the marco river up to Naples Fl and we trailed a 40 ft something it was awesome, til it hit the throttle and almost tipped over over pontoon boat:shock: had to pust abot 4fters comeing off that thing.

phospher
07-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Plain and simple, these boats are not meant to cruise along side 35/40 foot boats nor handle their wakes.

patrick232
07-12-2010, 09:58 AM
I bet it vapor locked, mine did it on Wednesday while 40 miles from our condo via water. A couple of bottles of cold water on the fuel pump and the fuel filter and it was good to go in 10 minutes. Sorry it ruined your day.

szeh
07-12-2010, 10:19 AM
My Supra started to vapor lock last year after 3 years of running great. The dealer told me to put in a new fuel filter because the Ethanol was breaking down the filter and restricting the fuel flow. Less fuel in the fuel pump made it easy to vapor lock. I changed out the filter and have not had any problems since. But, now I always carry a squirt bottle to spray the fuel pump just in case! Hope that's all it is.

Scott

gus 08 mobius lsv
07-12-2010, 10:23 AM
I bet it vapor locked, mine did it on Wednesday while 40 miles from our condo via water. A couple of bottles of cold water on the fuel pump and the fuel filter and it was good to go in 10 minutes. Sorry it ruined your day.

not to hijack the thread but i'm a new boat owner...13 months now. i see vapor lock issue come up now and then what exactly is it and what does the cold water do to help it.
i always have a cooler of water so it seems like an easy solution but just wanna kinda understand what it is and how the water helps. thanks guys

szeh
07-12-2010, 10:34 AM
not to hijack the thread but i'm a new boat owner...13 months now. i see vapor lock issue come up now and then what exactly is it and what does the cold water do to help it.
i always have a cooler of water so it seems like an easy solution but just wanna kinda understand what it is and how the water helps. thanks guys

I'm no mechanic, but what I believe happens is fuel pump gets hot enough that it actually vaporizes the fuel inside the pump. This usually happens as soon as you turn the engine off and the pump quits pumping fuel. With no fuel flowing the fuel sitting in the pump actually turns to vapor and when you try to restart the pump can't pull fuel because of the vaporized fuel.

When you spray the pump with cold water the fuel pump cools quickly and returns the vaporized fuel back to its original liquid state allowing the engine to refire.

It usually take about 5-10 minutes after you spray the fuel pump with cold water vs. sitting for 30 minutes waiting for the pump to cool on it's own. Hope that makes sense.

Scott

fastlx
07-13-2010, 09:51 PM
Thanks for all the replies!! It is at the dealer now and I hope it is an easy fix. I will keep everyone posted.

NewmbaTX
07-14-2010, 02:43 AM
I had a friend buy a Tige because the dealer told him it's a "dry boat" well sure enough if you drive it incorrectly you can take water over the bow on his boat too. When I first got my OBV last year I did it several times while surfing before I got the hang of it; haven't taken water over the bow once this year. I was out on Lake Barkley- passed a 40 ft sea ray with a little excitement but kept the nose up and took the rollers at a slight angle=no water.

I agree in learning a new boat and boat style..I am learning what and what not to do. This was a 'special" circumstance because there was 100's of boat in the water, a river at that, i was taking waves diagonally and manuvering the boat. This wave appeared out of nowhere perpendicullar and RIGHT in front of me, didn't even have time to pull throttle back and wham! Like a t-bone at a bar-b-que.
But kids like to ride in bow and find that even in mild waters it rolls waves right in the boat, but move weight back and it good but bow rises and the porpoises on waves. Not ready to get rid of it just yet, just amazed at the design differences and ride changes for such cool boats...get lots of compliments on mine...makes a prode owner!!

NewmbaTX
07-14-2010, 02:45 AM
Thats "PROUD OWNER"!!!!! above..... I should learn to spellcheck before posting..

PAT4SURE
07-15-2010, 05:12 PM
Bought An 05 Lsv Recently, Loaded, With Only 131 Hours. So Far So Good. First Let Me Point Out That I've Owned Boats For Over 40 Years, Lived On A Houseboat For A Few Great Years, And Never Had Any Misshaps. Well Here We Go. Day 4 With My Moomba, Hit A Rock, $500 New Prop. Ok Not Bad Yet. Day 6, On The Sacramento River, In An Area I've Boated 50 Times Previously, Hit A Submerged Tree. Rudder Gone, Shaft Support Bent, Shaft Bent, Prop Mangled, That Is My New Prop Mangled. One Week, And $45oo Later, Back On The Water. Next Day, Drive Plate Making Noise. 3 Days In The Shop, $2000 Later, Back On The Water. I Certainly Dont Hate My Moomba, I Love It!! But I Love My Insurance Company Even More!!!!!!!!!

This Is My First Post, But Not My Last.
Anybody Know How To Recondition The Rubber On The Swim Platform? Mine Looks Good But Is Turning Hands And Feet Slightly Black.

kaneboats
07-16-2010, 09:51 AM
Definitely get the Seadek pad. You can order it custom how you like it. Here's the link to the thread with my photos of the color samples they will send you:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10428&highlight=seadek+mica