PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Fluid leak

myster
07-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Hi All, I'm new here and own a 2008 xlv GG with the 340hp motor. I am loosing tranny fluid somewhere as I can see oily residue mixed with water in the bilge, and notice a loss of tranny fluid when I check the level, all other fluids are normal. I live in Deep River Ont. which is 4 hrs. from the Dealer ( Bay Marine in Belleville Ont. so if it happened to be something I can do myself, that would be great!! Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks.........Myster:cool:

DOCDRS
07-09-2010, 06:20 PM
did you check on the underside of the tranny for any oil, there is a cover plate for the filter screen under there.

myster
07-11-2010, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the info DOCDRS, I went to have a look and noticed something else, namely a loose bolt on top left of the tranny. It looks like a plug of sorts, not a bolt that is holding anything, but more of a vent or something that had worked it's way loose even though it was painted on. Sure looks to me that when the boat is running with that plug loose one would definately loose tranny fluid through it. I tightened it up and went surfing all day with no fluid loss, sure looks like that was the issue. :D

phospher
07-13-2010, 09:45 AM
that valve is suppose to release pressure built up in the tranny once it reaches a certain level. if you have it to tight i would imagine you will eventually blow a seal... maybe your tranny fluid level is to high?

kaneboats
07-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Definitely check the fluid level again and each time out.

myster
07-15-2010, 03:33 PM
Hey Guys, thanks!! as to it being designed to release pressure, well I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing here. What I tightened was what looked like a bolt with threads on it all the way 'til the last quarter inch or so on the end away from the bolt head at which point it becomes narrower w/o threads. There is another bolt on the right side opposite it as well that was still tight. This, I think anyway, should be snugged in or it would just fall out eventually. ie, there is no way to set it at a certain place so that it would stay there other than tightened in. When I first noticed it, I was able to completely remove it easily with two fingers!! I think that this, if not tight, would allow leakage of tranny fluid, the vent to allow pressure bleed off must be something different.........I hope!! I will keep a close eye on the fluid level...btw, I have never over filled it!!:cool:

myster
07-16-2010, 08:23 PM
OK, this was NOT the vent as the vent has a cap and freely spins. I can't see how one could over tighten it. It is some kind of auxillary vent and when on your knees looking towards the stern with the tranny/v drive cover off just above the dipstick, there are two bolts with the heads staring right at you. In my case the one on the left was 3/4 loosened and when the motor is running, tranny fluid will escape there if it is not tight. Just a fluke I guess as these are obviously torqued in and then painted over with black paint at the tranny factory!! All is well now I think!!!!:cool:

phospher
07-17-2010, 09:41 AM
You are correct. I didn't think you could tighten that vent.