PDA

View Full Version : How do I know if the trailer brakes are working?

spyder
07-08-2010, 10:03 AM
I drove about 27km (16 miles) last night and when i got to the launch my truck brakes were stinking a bit and I noticed on a few hills i basically had to put the brakes on the truck to the floor to stop.

also, when reversing I always have to override with the pin or else the brakes lock up..

could something be wrong with the trailer?

phospher
07-08-2010, 10:10 AM
If your brakes are locking up in reverse then they are working. I had that same problem. My truck was not sending power to the reverse lights on the trailer got it fixed and all is well now. Check to make sure that the center pole on your tow vehicle is getting power, I used a volt meter to check mine.

offaxis82
07-08-2010, 04:55 PM
also, when reversing I always have to override with the pin or else the brakes lock up..

This tells me your brakes are working.

offaxis82
07-08-2010, 04:57 PM
If your brakes are locking up in reverse then they are working. I had that same problem. My truck was not sending power to the reverse lights on the trailer got it fixed and all is well now. Check to make sure that the center pole on your tow vehicle is getting power, I used a volt meter to check mine.

This won't matter if he has surge brakes, which is what it sounds like he's got...

phospher
07-15-2010, 01:02 AM
This won't matter if he has surge brakes, which is what it sounds like he's got...

I meant about the brakes locking up in reverse....because the reverse lights were not getting power to trip the solenoid.