PDA

View Full Version : Engin Heater

Jerensen
08-04-2004, 12:50 AM
I have a 2003 Outback that I love!
I lost a number of great days last season due to early winterizing because of several nights in the mid - upper 20's. Then it snapped back into the 70's- 80's then back into the 20's etc.
Has anyone installed an engine heater of any kind that works and provides a peaceful nights sleep when the temprature drops below freezing and your boat has to be stored outside? I'd like to forstall winterizing until the snow flys.

Jerensen

NH Moomba
08-04-2004, 07:47 PM
I have a friend who puts a drop light with a 100 watt bulb under the engine cover on his Tige. Frankly, I'd be afraid of blowing it up but he has been doing it for years.

Andy

Catdog1
08-05-2004, 02:51 AM
Northern coastal (real) marinas should have answers for you. They've got to deal with this issue on big inboards all the time.

Agreed, if you use a light, sleep at least 100 yards from the boat.

That should keep the boat parts from landing on you after the blast.

SMUMATTMAN
08-10-2004, 01:14 PM
I have been wondering the same thing. We keep our boat at our lake house an hour away so no comfortable with the light deal. I did a Google and got a hit for a magnetic engine heater from JC Whitney. Use the following link to view: http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/s-10101/p-2469/c-10101

NO clue if this would work, but I like the concept.

Jerensen
08-12-2004, 01:26 AM
I appreciate the in put ....

Including the Light bulb I find four options. Light bulb, Glued pad on the bottom of the pan, Magnetic heater and freeze plug coil insert. Actually the light bulb is not a bad idea if it's protected from possible explosion. I happen to have a heavy duty protected housing drop light that's used in areas needing explosion protection but the fact that the bulb could burn out some night with the temp at 17 deg. would keep me up at nights. I think I'm leaning toward the freeze plug heating coil type. Having the coil actually in the water jacket seems like a good bet at doing the job well. I'll check around in a few days to see about local availability. Online is an option but it's nice to hold it in your hand first.
The magnetic attached heater may be good too but I'm a little concerned about the chewing gum loosing its flavor on the bed post over night.....magnet loosing its grip when the heating coil gets hot?? This may be completely unfounded but that's my concern.

Thanks again,

Jerensen

Jerensen
08-12-2004, 01:28 AM
I appreciate the in put ....

Including the Light bulb I find four options. Light bulb, Glued pad on the bottom of the pan, Magnetic heater and freeze plug coil insert. Actually the light bulb is not a bad idea if it's protected from possible explosion. I happen to have a heavy duty protected housing drop light that's used in areas needing explosion protection but the fact that the bulb could burn out some night with the temp at 17 deg. would keep me up at nights. I think I'm leaning toward the freeze plug heating coil type. Having the coil actually in the water jacket seems like a good bet at doing the job well. I'll check around in a few days to see about local availability. Online is an option but it's nice to hold it in your hand first.
The magnetic attached heater may be good too but I'm a little concerned about the chewing gum loosing its flavor on the bed post over night.....magnet loosing its grip when the heating coil gets hot?? This may be completely unfounded but that's my concern.

Thanks again,

Jerensen